Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I couldn't care less that your kid is special needs!

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I'm a teacher at school in charge of senior activities. We have one boy who is special needs. He can walk and talk, he's just a bit slow. Nice kid but his mother is making my life HELL. She called me 7 times today, 3 of those times from 7:40 am to 8:30 am. Ridiculous! Now on to tell you how she is making my life hell. 

First it started off with senior hoodies. On the back of all senior hoodies we have everyone's name listed. They are in small, black letters and a bunch are scrunched up and hardly legible. We got them t shirts with clearly printed names to make up for the hoodies. Well, Mrs. X(that's what we'll call the parent from hell) has been calling for the past 3 weeks, trying to get us to re order her son a hoodie. She wants us to get his name printed nice and big at the the top of the list. I was like are you serious?!? She has told us a million times "My son is special" Okay lady, we know but everyone's kid is special to them so no we are not spending 50 extra dollars on a hoodie for your son with his name printed in big letters! It's not happening. 

The next problem we are having is with prom. We had specific dates where checks were accepted and now we are just accepting cash. Her son missed the cut off date and she called about 8 times in one day raising hell about not accepting her check. Her son is special(her words) so we should just accept the check. Not happening. So finally she sends him with cash. The boy just leaves it on my desk and walks away. Didn't wait for a receipt or anything. I assume he didn't want one or will come back so I write one and put it away. Mrs. X then calls going off because not only did her son not get a ticket but he did not get a receipt. For one, no one gets a ticket when they pay. They get put on a list then they get an invitation delivered to them in class. And I explained to her the receipt situation. So I get the assistant principal to get the boy out of class so I can hand deliver him this damn receipt. He gets the receipt, I talk to Mrs. X a few more times about the ticket situation and that's that. 

I'm not sure what else she can call about but I just know she will have some type of problem with graduation, whether it be caps and gowns, the location,...something! I asked my co worker if we could find some where to lock her up until graduation is over. I'm just done! lol

I fixed that "huge" typo for you ladies. God knows I'm a teacher so spelling mistakes on a trivial mom site are absolutely prohibited. 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 10, 2012 at 8:34 PM
Replies (71-80):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on May. 10, 2012 at 9:42 PM
"Couldn't care less"... You're a teacher? Wow.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on May. 10, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I think she's using her son as a way for her to get "special treatment." Which I find sad, because it's only going to hurt him in the end.

My mother runs a private school and is the senior coordinator. I don't know how you all do it. I mean between fundraisers, prom, senior trip, graduation, senior pictures & that's on top of her daily duties.There are times where she doesn't get home until 9 o'clock at night. I applaud you, you all do a lot for the kids.

DixieL
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:44 PM

When I first read the title of your post I thought how mean, but now I understand. Just because he is a little slow does not make him better than the rest of the kids. We all have very special kids. It's almost the end of the school year and since he is graduating he will never have to hear from her again. Good Luck for the rest of the year and Happy Mothers Day

opal10161973
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:47 PM

I had to quit eventually, though not from abuse like yours!  That's just makes me SMH.

Quoting Anonymous:

I once worked with a girl and I still carry scars from her not getting her way. She once pulled a 38" television down off a 3' tall table and her parents just went out and bought her a new one! She would sit for hours screaming non-stop unless we took her for a drive, but we'd load up in the car and she would grab the steering wheel and biting the driver. It was so god awful, I had to be transferred. She was the worst I ever worked with, but there were still some others that were doozies!

Quoting opal10161973:

I agree and I used to work with adults JUST LIKE THIS!  The ones that were spoiled were THE most difficult to assist.  Made me angry and sad at the same time. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you not read the whole thing? It wasn't that she doesn't care about the kid, it that she is not going to give the kid preferential treatment because he's special needs. And I applaud her for that! I used to work with severely disable adults and it's parents like her that made my life f*cking hell! The kids grow up expecting everything to be done for them and when the employees that wind up being responsible for them when Mom and Dad die can't spend their entire paycheck making Little Timmy happy, there is all hell to pay. He should be treated just like every other senior, his name should be the same size as everyone else's, his mother needs to listen to the deadlines and whatever other complaint she has can be kept to herself because HE IS NOT SPECIAL, He is a normal teenager with a few extra problems.

Quoting lilfishbigocean:

While I do not agree with her calling you all the time like that, I ALSO do not agree with YOU that you "don't care" that he is special needs, or about any other special needs child for that matter.

Are your kids "perfectly fine"? Must be why you "dont care".
-- My child DOES have special needs. Which is why I'm taking offense to your statement.

poshkat
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Ugh I hate that!!!! My son was considered special needs for the last 3 years due to developmental delays. You would not believe some of the parents we met along the way! One set who were well off asked if they could pay to have their child put into the "advanced" class because he obviously didn't belong in the class with all the kids who needed speech and occupational therapy. Another mother "needed" to be on the bus with her child everyday because they didn't make sure her precious baby was strapped in right (he was. The state supplied brand new car seats and the bus aid had to have a certificate saying she took mulitipul classes stating she was instructed on car seat safety, child CPR, and a few other things. She showed them to me). That kid was like Houdini. He would unstrap himself and would hit and kick at the bus aid while the mother watched. She would not lift a finger because "he's special and doesn't understand", or "you did it wrong! That's why he keeps unstrapping!!". Other parents would hover in the corner of the class to "check" that the teachers were doing their job because their children who, btw, were there for speech therapy could not speak yet. You should have seen how they were!! So rude and mean, expecting their children to be treated as the perfect little angels they weren't all because they were "special".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
opal10161973
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I understand, but I was replying to this poster. 

Quoting lilfishbigocean:

Apparently, you guys think I misunderstood.
I am not saying that he "deserves special treatment because he's special needs."
That's why I started my post with "I do not agree with her calling you like that all the time."
What I DID say, was that I took offence to the way she worded her title "I could care less that your kid is special needs!" -- In which I took it as, that one kid - or any kid, she just didn't care that they were special needs.

Kwim?

Quoting opal10161973:

I agree and I used to work with adults JUST LIKE THIS!  The ones that were spoiled were THE most difficult to assist.  Made me angry and sad at the same time. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Did you not read the whole thing? It wasn't that she doesn't care about the kid, it that she is not going to give the kid preferential treatment because he's special needs. And I applaud her for that! I used to work with severely disable adults and it's parents like her that made my life f*cking hell! The kids grow up expecting everything to be done for them and when the employees that wind up being responsible for them when Mom and Dad die can't spend their entire paycheck making Little Timmy happy, there is all hell to pay. He should be treated just like every other senior, his name should be the same size as everyone else's, his mother needs to listen to the deadlines and whatever other complaint she has can be kept to herself because HE IS NOT SPECIAL, He is a normal teenager with a few extra problems.

Quoting lilfishbigocean:

While I do not agree with her calling you all the time like that, I ALSO do not agree with YOU that you "don't care" that he is special needs, or about any other special needs child for that matter.

-- My child DOES have special needs. Which is why I'm taking offense to your statement.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on May. 10, 2012 at 9:49 PM

if you are a teacher, you should know the phrase is "i COULDN'T care less" 

pretty sure there have been more than enough posts to specify this.

britt6
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I have three children with special needs. We follow school rules like everyone else and I refuse to use my children to get "special treatment." HOWEVER....You are a teacher in charge of senior activities so forgive me if I am assuming anything but I am guessing you are not instructing a "special needs" classroom. The only thing here that I strongly disagree with is your complaint of him just leaving the money and not waiting for a receipt. The kid is mentally challenged he probably wasn't thinking about a 1,2 or 3 step operation he was thinking "give her the money." You can't be upset with him or expect things of him that he may not be able to do without first receiving specific instructions. Do us a favor treat the kid with all the love and respect in the world, that is if you haven't already and just be as polite as you can with the mother.

MistyMoo
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Yes, I realize that you aren't talking about my child. I'm sorry, I don't feel the need to explain why I'm offended. Don't like my opinion that's your problem.

Quoting Anonymous:

Why do you take offense? I wasn't talking about YOUR special needs kids. I was talking about one parent and how I don't feel the need to do anymore than I already have for this boy just because he is special needs. 

Quoting MistyMoo:

I agree with you I take slight offense to that statement and I don't agree with what that mother is doing. She's just being an idiot.

Quoting lilfishbigocean:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessecutez
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:06 PM

its not that you dont care about the kid..... you dont want to deal with the parent. alot of people are misunderstanding you because of your title!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN