Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Breastfeeding... ****edit on page 3***

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 161 Replies

I get it ok! It's the very best thing for a baby/toddler/kid/ but HOW LONG? 3 years 4 years 5 years? Are we all supposed to be going home to our mommies and breastfeeding because it's the very best thing for us? I'm 26 years old, is that old enough for getting the very best thing????? Is 30???? I'm sure everyone's seen the TIME magazine cover of breastfeeding a 3 year old, and yes this is in response to that. I see comments where it's ok to breastfeed a 3 year old/ no that's too long etc. But I mean come on when is the cut off mamas?!

P.S. The only reason I'm posting anonymously is because I don't want to be labeled as the mama who doesn't know how long a baby should be breastfed, although I have to admit, it really is hard to tell. 

Response: Thank you all for answering. It was very informative to read all of your responses. 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 10, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2cheesebug
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I would pump for my three year old, but i would feel very uncomfortable having her suck on my boob when she can eat a hamburger or feed herself a bowl of cereal, no thankyou. I will just add the breastmilk to her cereal, serves the same purpose.

More power to the mommas who can do it though, thats gotta be difficult and hard to have a three year old come up and invade your space, open your shirt, take your boob out and tell you they are getting a drink.

mommyrustina
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:25 PM
6 moms liked this
At about the age of 7, physical changes to the jaw and palate make it practically impossible to continue breastfeeding. So no, when you are thirty you cannot go home to nurse.
xXxLillithxXx
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 11:36 PM
2 moms liked this

According to thess women there is no age limit. I expect to see a grown man in the coming years walk up to mom grab her boob out and take a sip. Lol. To each their own but that is just not my style.

TattoodMommy19
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:38 PM
13 moms liked this
Omg. Such complete ignorance today! My kid is done nursing when SHE is done! Fuck everyone who says I have to wean her at a certain age. As I'm sure has been stated today, world average for weaning is 4 to 7 years of age!
Some of you actually think I need to wean now since she has teeth. She's five months old.
*face palm*
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadedFaerie
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Personally, if I was still breastfeeding, 5 would be my cut off.

spicy_n_sweet
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Well apparently.  Any age is a good age for breast milk. One is never to old for it.

When it comes to actually being attached to a tit, it seems that the range goes up to "when the child decides they are ready to stop" or till the mom just can't stand the latching any longer.

:-)

Tressakim
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:42 PM
3 moms liked this

It's up to the mom and baby.  How long they're comfortable with it.  At least 1-2 years is recommended for health reasons, but longer is fine, or until mom or baby wants to stop.  Apart from the recommendations from health organizations no one's opinion should matter, it's up to mom and baby.  Asking when the "cut off" is is ridiculous.

youngs_wifey05
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:46 PM
5 moms liked this

Biologically, humans are infants until the age of 3 and they need the contents of breastmilk until then, just in lower proportions than in early infancy. Formula is really a poor substitute that was originally made as a medical intervention for when women couldn't breastfeed, which is actually almost never with proper instruction which nobody really gets these days. 3 is a good age to start weaning. If you live in an underdeveloped country, the child would need to nurse longer for proper nutrition say to age 5 or so. The AAP recommends at least a year, and a lot of people take that as the baby should be weaned by a year, which is not the case. The moms in the USA or UK nursing 8 year olds are a bit extreme. The Time cover and article are pretty much just trying to make a normal thing controversial, which pisses me off because people in the US don't nurse their kids already, let alone with more bad and uninformed publicity about it.

Rhiannon92
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:50 PM
1 mom liked this

The natural weaning period is between 2-7 years. The world average is 3 years. I say anytime in that frame is okay.

Don't expect everyone to adhere to your standards. I breastfeed my 18 month old and he can wean when he is ready.

alyssamichaeljm
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:57 PM
I think it's a personal decision.. What is right for me and my child may not be right for someone else and their child. I see nothing wrong with a woman who bf for 4 or 5 years.. It's her business and her right. Personally, I believe the first year is most important and then for as long as baby and mom are happy with it. That being said, I never nursed my toddler in public. For me, nursing was a private thing.. Morning/night maybe once or twice during the day. I do wish people would be more accepting of extended nursing.. Even if it isn't what someone personally believes is right they should not attack those that do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)