Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Breastfeeding... ****edit on page 3***

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I get it ok! It's the very best thing for a baby/toddler/kid/ but HOW LONG? 3 years 4 years 5 years? Are we all supposed to be going home to our mommies and breastfeeding because it's the very best thing for us? I'm 26 years old, is that old enough for getting the very best thing????? Is 30???? I'm sure everyone's seen the TIME magazine cover of breastfeeding a 3 year old, and yes this is in response to that. I see comments where it's ok to breastfeed a 3 year old/ no that's too long etc. But I mean come on when is the cut off mamas?!

P.S. The only reason I'm posting anonymously is because I don't want to be labeled as the mama who doesn't know how long a baby should be breastfed, although I have to admit, it really is hard to tell. 

Response: Thank you all for answering. It was very informative to read all of your responses. 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 10, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
youngs_wifey05
by on May. 10, 2012 at 11:58 PM
2 moms liked this

People, especially in the In-laws side of the family, gave me so much crap about my son nursing into high school or something. He was 2 when they started it. He weaned at a little over 3 years when I got tired of him nursing to sleep and either hogging my bed or me having to tote his butt to his bed. I got things like "you can't afford formula?" and "he has teeth!" and "you can't do that in the bathroom?" when random people just saw us feeding in the store or restaurant or something. It is insane how people sexualized breasts so much that they are uncomfortable with babies eating. We are mammals.... with mammary glands... that's what they are for. lol

babyboy117
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:00 AM
2 moms liked this

My son is 18 months, still breastfeeding, and he has no plans on stopping anytime soon. And that's fine with me. I am happy and so is he : ) that's all that matters.

weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Why the fuck does anyone care how long someone else nurses their baby?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:01 AM
The American Academy of Pediatrics reccommends at least two years. That seems appropriate to me because that is what works for my family. I think breastfeeding past the start of Kindergarten is where I step back and think its more socially harmful then beneficial healthwise.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xtwistedxlovex
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Biologically speaking, optimal weaning time would be when the child is ready. Instinct knows best in many cases, breastfeeding included. Children will generally self-wean between the ages of 3-7. DS did shortly after his 5th birthday, which I think is the most common age.

wkukid
by Beach Bum on May. 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM
Until they have teeth. Then I'm out. I don't want anything biting that part of me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Right? I felt awkward when DS was 10mo because he is such a big boy. I always wondered why moms just don't pump after a certain age....

Quoting mom2cheesebug:

I would pump for my three year old, but i would feel very uncomfortable having her suck on my boob when she can eat a hamburger or feed herself a bowl of cereal, no thankyou. I will just add the breastmilk to her cereal, serves the same purpose.

More power to the mommas who can do it though, thats gotta be difficult and hard to have a three year old come up and invade your space, open your shirt, take your boob out and tell you they are getting a drink.

youngs_wifey05
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I nursed 2 kids, one for 5 months due to a surgery and the other for 3 years. Only been bitten twice, and not badly. Mostly because he wasn't done nursing yet, and I pulled him off the boob. He was trying to hold on. lol

Quoting wkukid:

Until they have teeth. Then I'm out. I don't want anything biting that part of me.

MrsJHoward
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:27 AM
Lol, yup it hurts! Trust me!

Quoting wkukid:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 11, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I was thinking like 3 or 4 or 5 but my post wasn't trying to gather information about mom's personal stories. Sorry I didn't mean to pry. More like generalizations are ok. And yes I get that too that what's right for you isn't what's right for everybody. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)