Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Breastfeeding... ****edit on page 3***

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I get it ok! It's the very best thing for a baby/toddler/kid/ but HOW LONG? 3 years 4 years 5 years? Are we all supposed to be going home to our mommies and breastfeeding because it's the very best thing for us? I'm 26 years old, is that old enough for getting the very best thing????? Is 30???? I'm sure everyone's seen the TIME magazine cover of breastfeeding a 3 year old, and yes this is in response to that. I see comments where it's ok to breastfeed a 3 year old/ no that's too long etc. But I mean come on when is the cut off mamas?!

P.S. The only reason I'm posting anonymously is because I don't want to be labeled as the mama who doesn't know how long a baby should be breastfed, although I have to admit, it really is hard to tell. 

Response: Thank you all for answering. It was very informative to read all of your responses. 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 10, 2012 at 11:20 PM
Replies (31-40):
Monamou
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Breastfeeding is NOT sexual. They dont need milk? You still wash their butt why cant u feed them? Interactions between parents and children should ALWAYS be NONSEXUAL...

Quoting Anonymous:

I think after a certain age like 5 years old, it should be deemed sexual indecency. There is no reason your child needs breastmilk after 12 months, if you are giving him proper nutrition with solid foods. Children also do not need cows milk either. We don't need milk to survive past 6 months of age. I think mothers who continue are sick in the head. Its almost as if they get some weird pleasure from having a school aged child suck their nipples.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 11, 2012 at 12:44 AM

It is horrible that social media culture is telling people the wrong way to feed and even birth their children. No wonder we have so many autistic or developmentally challenged children. Look up the CDC and AAP rates for birth interventions related to disabilities and the actual guidelines for breastfeeding.
Extreme parenting my ass.

Quoting heathercm26:

Im watching entertainment tonight. Gale...oprahs friend ...says that teeth are tge cut off. Anotger woman laughs disgustedly saying not until 3 yo. Some famous man says when they start talking. ET is calling it extreme parenting. This is terrible.

kiminsean
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:47 AM
It takes a really twisted mind to come up with this. REALLY??? Turning breastfeeding into something sexual...do you get turned in when you have to wipe your kids butt when they are past 3y/o because they 'should' be able to care for themselves?

Quoting Anonymous:

I think after a certain age like 5 years old, it should be deemed sexual indecency. There is no reason your child needs breastmilk after 12 months, if you are giving him proper nutrition with solid foods. Children also do not need cows milk either. We don't need milk to survive past 6 months of age. I think mothers who continue are sick in the head. Its almost as if they get some weird pleasure from having a school aged child suck their nipples.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 11, 2012 at 12:47 AM
2 moms liked this

Any pediatrician in America will recommend the introduction of solids at 6 months of age. By 9 months they should be getting most of their diet through solid foods. Breastfeeding has no immunoligical defense beoyond 6 months. It does provide nutritional benefits, but shouldn't be exclusive past 6 months. I think you should start weaning at 12 months. Maybe your kids didn't eat foods because you were too busy sticking a boob in their mouths. My kids loved to have their solid foods, and started slacking off of the nursing around 6 months. It's selfish to not give your kids other food and exlusive breastfeed for more than 6 months. Your child needs solid foods. Again, just my opinion. I think it's a tad bit of a 'mom' issue when they don't want their child to stop breastfeeding, as if they get some sort of sick twisted pleasure from it. There is no reason on earth that an American child needs to have breastmilk beyond 12 months of age. Other countries I can undsertand, but not America. 

there is also no reasoning in arguing either. You will insist you are right and not even consider my opinion. Notice the words that started my previous quote..."I THINK" - my opinion.  

Quoting heathercm26:

At 12 months they should have just started solids. They dont have nearly enough variety of diet at this time to be the cut off time. ...so when do you suggest STARTING weaning 8 mo.?.? 6.?.?. Jeese

Quoting Anonymous:

Monamou
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this
My babies always "bit" b4 they had teeth. By the time teeth came in, that wasnt a problem. Babies get teeth pretty early, that logic is ignorant. I do NOT want to feed a 5 yo but i cant imagine something that is such a special bond betweem mother and child has an expiration date.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 11, 2012 at 12:49 AM

No we do not need animal milk beyond a certain age. We can get all we need calcium wise from plants and other sources. Read a book. Also, nowhere did I say the word SEXUAL.

Quoting Monamou:

Breastfeeding is NOT sexual. They dont need milk? You still wash their butt why cant u feed them? Interactions between parents and children should ALWAYS be NONSEXUAL...

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 11, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Beyond 5 years old yes. It's inappropriate. Your child doesn't need breastmilk to survive. At that age it is just a coping mechanism and possible separation issue with the mother.

Quoting kiminsean:

It takes a really twisted mind to come up with this. REALLY??? Turning breastfeeding into something sexual...do you get turned in when you have to wipe your kids butt when they are past 3y/o because they 'should' be able to care for themselves?

Quoting Anonymous:

kiminsean
by on May. 11, 2012 at 12:55 AM
Not to survive. To have better antibodies.

Quoting Anonymous:

Beyond 5 years old yes. It's inappropriate. Your child doesn't need breastmilk to survive. At that age it is just a coping mechanism and possible separation issue with the mother.

Quoting kiminsean:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 11, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Breastmilk has no immunoligcal defense, such as antibodies beyond 6 months of age. At 6 months your child has got all he is going to get as far as defense. Read a book.

Quoting kiminsean:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kiminsean:

Quoting Anonymous:

kiminsean
by on May. 11, 2012 at 1:04 AM
Obviously YOU need help with reading informative reading material. Reading a sunday morning comic strip will not inform you on proper nutrition. This kind of ignorance isn't worth any further debate.

Have an awesome night.

Quoting Anonymous:

Breastmilk has no immunoligcal defense, such as antibodies beyond 6 months of age. At 6 months your child has got all he is going to get as far as defense. Read a book.

Quoting kiminsean:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting kiminsean:

Quoting Anonymous:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN