Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I don't think that gay people should be allowed to marry their partner. 5th Update.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 627 Replies
11 moms liked this

I'm posting anon because a lot of people are going to be mad at me but I truly don't think that gay marriage should be legal. I don't tell people this because most people I know support gay marriage. I'm not going to get all religious on you. I don't have a problem with gay people (ok, honestly it's weird to me but I don't hate anyone because of it). I can't really tell you why I feel this way. I do think that if gay marriage is legalized that there will be unforeseen repercussions decades in the future but I'm not here to argue that. I'm making this post because I want to get this out. I'm not going to write congress to tell them to not vote to allow it (if that would even do anything), I'm not going to protest, I'm not even going to tell anyone other than my husband this. He supports gay marriage and even though I can't say why I don't, he says that I still have the right to feel the way I do. I hate when people say that there should be equal rights for all. Technically there are. You can't marry a woman and neither can I. I can marry a man and so can you. That's equal in my book. I seriously hope that this can stay civil. If you support gay marriage please tell me why in a nice way. It might convince me to change my mind. If you go negative with this it will probably only make me feel better about my opinion. 

Update: I tried to explain my way of thinking nicely and was hoping to discuss this with people without them being rude. Therefore if you are rude I will not respond. I also need to get off the computer so I will continue to respond to the nice posts later today.

2nd Update: Some people have mentioned health insurance and medical rights etc and people fail to realise that marriage doesn't necessarily eliminate all of those concerns. First of all, some companies actually do cover your partner (same sex or not) even if you are not married. And maybe we should work to make health insurance better for all rather than saying that we have to allow gay marriage so that health insurance will be better for some. Secondly, I feel that everyone, married or not, gay or not should have a living will, medical power of attorney, and a will. Do you guys remember the case where the wife was in a coma and the husband wanted to stop life support but her parents didn't so they sued? He eventually won but that took a while and that was prolonged because of the law suit. 

And if I didn't want my family to have a say in my medical care then I could appoint a friend to have the say. That's what the legal documents do. That's for everyone, gay or not, straight or not. 

3rd Update: So a lot of people are saying that if consenting adults love each other and want to get married then who am I to say that they can't that they deserve to be able to be married just like I can be married if I want. So do you all support polygamy? Consenting adults, just because you don't think it's right doesn't mean that you should say they can't do it. What happens in their bedroom is non of my business etc. All of those things that you're saying to allow gay marriage could be said about polygamy. So, do you support polygamy? And if not why? Who are you to deny them their rights?

4th Update: I never once said that allowing gay marriage would lead to people marrying pets or farm animals. Someone else said that and I ignored the comment.

5th Update on unforeseen repercussions (copy pasted from a response I did on page 30): I think that people are just going to give me crap for the few that I can think of now which is why I've avoided the question. Basically if you look back 20, 30 or 50 years there are people who were gay but still married into a heterosexual marriage and had kids. Since then those kids have had kids. Imagine how different things could be now had gay marriage been legal or accepted. People have given me crap because I said (something like) someone who could cure aids or cancer could possibly not be born. That's probably the best way I could think to say it but that's one. This next one is going to get me even more crap because people don't know how to hear someones opinion and leave it at that, they have to bash people for their opinions but... You never know what is going to happen in 50+ years. I bet 50 years ago they didn't even think of two women wanting to get married. What if in 50 years we've discovered life on another planet. Are we going to vote to ok earthlings marring aliens? (And yes I know that seems very crazy, I don't believe that in particular is going to happen but you never know what other situation could arise). That being said, I don't believe that gay marriage will lead to people marrying goats or pillows, just saying that you never know what is next. And if you think that people should be able to marry the person they love what about the persons that they love? Are we going to make polygamy legal? If we don't then we're denying them the same rights that you're fighting for. How is that fair?

Those are just a few that I could think of. And I really hope that people don't bash me for that, it is my opinion. 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 11, 2012 at 5:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnnieMcD
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:17 AM
60 moms liked this

See, the difference is, you can marry the person you love, and they can't. 

How hard is that to understand? Holy shit what an asshole. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 11, 2012 at 5:19 AM
I'm curious what are the future repercussions your concerned about?
TygerLily62
by on May. 11, 2012 at 5:20 AM
2 moms liked this
What sort of repercussions do you think we will face if gay marriage is legalized?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
M.I.A...P.O.W
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:21 AM
3 moms liked this

The part in red does not make sense to me. You can marry someone you love and a gay person cannot. How is that equal?

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm posting anon because a lot of people are going to be mad at me but I truly don't think that gay marriage should be legal. I don't tell people this because most people I know support gay marriage. I'm not going to get all religious on you. I don't have a problem with gay people (ok, honestly it's weird to me but I don't hate anyone because of it). I can't really tell you why I feel this way. I do think that if gay marriage is legalized that there will be unforeseen repercussions decades in the future but I'm not here to argue that. I'm making this post because I want to get this out. I'm not going to write congress to tell them to not vote to allow it (if that would even do anything), I'm not going to protest, I'm not even going to tell anyone other than my husband this. He supports gay marriage and even though I can't say why I don't, he says that I still have the right to feel the way I do. I hate when people say that there should be equal rights for all. Technically there are. You can't marry a woman and neither can I. I can marry a man and so can you. That's equal in my book. I seriously hope that this can stay civil. If you support gay marriage please tell me why in a nice way. It might convince me to change my mind. If you go negative with this it will probably only make me feel better about my opinion. 

Thank you TheGreatCthulhu for the siggy!!!!

http://homedonesouthernnails.blogspot.com/

lovemysnugbugs
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:21 AM
1 mom liked this
I'd like to know this too.

Quoting TygerLily62:

What sort of repercussions do you think we will face if gay marriage is legalized?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luvhubandbabys
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:21 AM
Equal rights are over rated anyways.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shortycmlb
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:25 AM
9 moms liked this

How would someone marrying someone of the same sex affect you anyways?

And should we make divorce illegal until gay marriage is legalized since thats against the bible as well?

jeez.....

SOCO101
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:25 AM
11 moms liked this

I support gay marriage. I can't imagine what it would feel like to love someone with all your soul, and want nothing more than to promise the rest of your life with them. But you can't all because of laws made so many years ago. 

This country was founded on the idea that people could choose their own beliefs, ideas, philosophies, religions..yet two men/woman cannot get married? It's stupid, and IMO stands against everything this country promised it's people when it was founded. 

AnnieMcD
by Platinum Member on May. 11, 2012 at 5:26 AM
48 moms liked this

Ok, I'll try to explain this in a "nice" way. Generations ago, everything that is said about gay marriage was said about interracial marriage. Including the "unforseen consequences years in the future" ... It's not true, it simply isn't. Ther are no negative consequences that can come from allowing adult human beings to marry the people they love. 

Gay marriage is not about sex, it's not about gender, it's about all Americans having the same rights. The right to meet someone they are attracted to, date them, fall in love and raise children. To grow old with the person they want to spend eternity with. To sit by their bedside when they're sick in the hospital, or plan their funeral when they're gone. To know that if their partner dies, their children won't be removed because the remaining parent isn't a biological parent, and the state they lived in would only allow one of the partners to adopt. 

Marriage is about love. And if you find someone else's love distasteful, that doesn't mean that you get to say "they're not allowed to practice it" ... it means you have to learn to be more tolerant and accepting. There are relationships that all of us look at and think "man that should be illegal". 50 year old men with 20 year old girls. First cousins. Trashy people on PA with 7 kids and two more on the way. Women who have kids by 6 different men. Men who have kids with 20 different women. Men who keep divorcing their wives and getting married again like they're trading in their cars for a newer model. All of those things have at least one group of people saying "Wow, that's not right at all!!!" 

But we just sit back and say "well I might not like it, but that's their right." 

So why are the rights different when both of the members of the relationship have the same parts between their legs? 

Amyinthesky
by on May. 11, 2012 at 5:28 AM
3 moms liked this

You do have a right to feel like this. I do not agree with you though. You know how you look at your husband ? how you hold him? how you have kids how you wanted to share a life with him? Everyone feels this at some point but some feel it for a member of the same sex. It is a bit cruel to tell them that they can never have that official ceremony where they tell their friends and family how much they love the person they chose to be with. If religion is your reason why don't you say you at least support civil ceremonies. Do you support either? There are a lot of homosexuals who still believe in a god and to deny their god to bare witness is again somewhat harsh. I understand that you do not know why you feel this way but some context would be nice if you ever do find out. I am interested in the repercussions because I can't see any myself. In the end it comes down to this simply you have a portion of the power by supporting this to make two people very happy by getting to openly share how much they are committed to each other with  the world. Why did you get married? they're reasoning is undoubtedly the same at heart. Equal right refers to the group action. Heterosexuals can marry Homosexuals can not  that is not equal. I hope I answered this politely.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)