Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DO YOU THINK THIS IS RIGHT?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 10 Replies

Do you think it is right to remove children from their home, sometimes placing them in to foster care or in the care of relatives because they are over weight?!? 

I personally feel that in some case it may be the right thing to do, but if the child obviously has an eating disorder, taking them out of their comfort zone and placing them in the care of strangers...... ehh.. idk. Im on the edge on this one... AND I KNOW ALL OF YOU VERY OPINIONATED LADIES WILL HELP ME DEBATE THIS!!! SO WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Obese Ohio boy, 9, sheds weight, is returned home
CLEVELAND (AP) -- A 9-year-old Ohio boy who weighed more than 200 pounds and was removed from his mother's custody over health concerns has been returned to her care after slimming down.

The Cleveland Heights boy was placed in foster care last fall and then with an uncle after county case workers said his mother wasn't doing enough to control his weight.

He was returned to his mother under protective supervision in March. A juvenile court judge released him from that supervision Thursday.

The Plain Dealer (http://bit.ly/M2ltTE ) reports his weight has dropped as low as 166 pounds.

A social services spokeswoman says the family is being offered nutritional and health counseling.

An attorney representing the child's interests says the boy is doing well despite changing schools and homes several times in recent months.

Information from: The Plain Dealer, http://www.cleveland.com

Posted by Anonymous on May. 11, 2012 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jonellg
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:03 AM

it depends...

IDK, 200 pounds at 9 is insane

NDADanceMom
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I think if the family has been given support services, there is no underlying medical conditions, and the child is still gaining weight they should take the child away.  When a child is having medical issues such as type 2 diabetes or other weight related issues the process should start.  It should not be because a child is chunky. 

LatashaNicole
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:05 AM
His health was on the line instead of them taking him away they should of gave the mom strick orders on helping him lose that weight then if she didn't follow them orders take it from there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 11, 2012 at 9:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I know... but obviously if he has bad eating habits he is learning from his parents.. they probably have an eating disorder too. I just think there are different ways that you can handle this. Why not help the whole family change.

Quoting jonellg:

it depends...

jonellg
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I'm may get bacshed for this, but I'm saying it anyway.

If the kid is 200 pounds I can only imagine the parants are massive. So I imagine the whole house as gross and unkept. Just not a good place for a child.

Quoting Anonymous:

I know... but obviously if he has bad eating habits he is learning from his parents.. they probably have an eating disorder too. I just think there are different ways that you can handle this. Why not help the whole family change.

Quoting jonellg:

it depends...

Piskie
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 9:18 AM
They did a lot of work with the whole family before removing him... There's no way a 9 yr old child should weigh nearly twice a fully grown adult... So yes in this case they did do the right thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
art.diva
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 9:21 AM

The child is living in a toxic environment, and the parents need help.  Its in his best interest to gain some distance from his parents.

kryptomom
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 9:24 AM

When all other options have been exhausted, yes, it's ok.  Maybe the home he is in is the problem.  But this is serious stuff (not overweight, but obese).

nanasue31204
by Silver Member on May. 11, 2012 at 9:38 AM
I think it depends, if the parents aren't providing nutritious foods and only feeding the child junk food everyday then maybe. I think a better solution would be to make the parents take a nutrition coarse and maybe cooking lessons, and see if that helps. Some people just don't understand nutrition or know how to cook, they listen to the media and think they are providing healthy meals because the TV says its part of a healthy diet. If after a certain time period the parents haven't made life style changes and the child still continues to gain weight and is unhealthy removing them may be the answer. Some people are prone to weight gain no matter what their diet is, my family is larger and my mom didn't always cook the healthiest but I'm trying to change that with my kids. I am not huge but weigh more than I'd like, my dh is also a big guy but more muscle than fat, both of us were skinny until around third grade. My oldest son is 7 now and a bean pole, it will be interesting to see if he follows in our foot steps and gains weight in a couple years. We are an active family and always outside doing stuff so I think genetics do play a large role in weight. I am doing everything in my power to insure my kids are healthy so I would hope the state wouldn't take them away if they did gain weight.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AHmom103
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I think that if the child's weight issues are a direct result of bad parenting (as in the parents refuse to do what is necessary to keep the child at a healthy weight), then yes, they should be removed from the home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)