Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Weight help please! *Edit*

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 45 Replies

I am posting this anon for several reasons, but really need some helo here. If you happen to be a nutritionist, PLEASE PLEASE help me!

My problem is that I am under weight and I mean less than 100 pounds under weight. I do NOT have an eating disorder, just have a hard timee gaining and keeping weight on. The most I've ever weighed was 125 and I was pregnant. I know being this under weight is not really healthy. I really want to put weight on, but can't seem to be able to do it. I talked to my doctor today and all he said was work out and exercise. I asked about getting a referral to a nutritionist because I'm sure making some healthy diet changes would help and my doctor made no suggestions what so ever, just exercise. Any way. He told me my state insurance will not cover a nutritionist so I'm sol, and still made no suggestions. That's where you come in. Please, if you can make any suggestions, and can help me, please do so. I hate being like this and want to change it. I want to be confident again, but I just feel like a walking skeleton.

Before any one says "I wish I had your problem", believe me you don't. I've had 5 doctors ask me if I have an eating disorder, my joints hurt due to lack of any kind of cushion, my hip bones look nasty, it's uncomfortable, and I feel like I am just a walking skeleton.

THANK YOU LADIES FOR ALL OF YOUR SUGGESTIONS!  I will definitely be trying all of this!

Posted by Anonymous on May. 11, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 9:32 PM

You need to eat some foods very high in fat...I had a friend who was pregnant and she was very thin and her DR. wanted her to gain weight..so he told her to eat Ice cream every single night

Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 9:33 PM

obviously...dont go overboard you still need to be healthy by eating fruits,veggies and protein...but add a little extra fat to your diet..

sarah4gandh
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 9:34 PM

I would suggest getting your thyroid checked. This is a very common symptom of thyroid problems. have your  doctors suggested testing it yet?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM
No. It's never been suggested, but isn't that some thing they check during pregnancy?

Quoting sarah4gandh:

I would suggest getting your thyroid checked. This is a very common symptom of thyroid problems. have your  doctors suggested testing it yet?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 11, 2012 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this
But at the same time, isn't any thing high in fat unhealthy?

Quoting Lyssa0587:

You need to eat some foods very high in fat...I had a friend who was pregnant and she was very thin and her DR. wanted her to gain weight..so he told her to eat Ice cream every single night

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM
What would you suggest?

Quoting Lyssa0587:

obviously...dont go overboard you still need to be healthy by eating fruits,veggies and protein...but add a little extra fat to your diet..

Lyssa0587
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 9:39 PM

what do you like to eat?

Quoting Anonymous:

What would you suggest?

Quoting Lyssa0587:

sarah4gandh
by Member on May. 11, 2012 at 9:40 PM

i dont think so. they would monitor it if you had a diagnosed issue with it already, but i dont think the test for it generally. i really hope you get healthier and im sorry youre having a difficult time maintaining a healthy weight. maybe you could start eating calorically dense foods, like whole grains more frequently and healthy fats like in salmon more often. and i know when my borther was in high school he desparetly wanted to gain weight, so he would eat a big sandwich (pb&j) with a big glass of whole milk before bed every night. that worked for him. your metabolism slows when you sleep, so it tends to store anything you eat right before bed as fat.

Quoting Anonymous:

No. It's never been suggested, but isn't that some thing they check during pregnancy?

Quoting sarah4gandh:

Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers

cbrizzee
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2012 at 9:42 PM
2 moms liked this
Add a whey protine shake mixed with whole milk to your breakfast. The added fat and protine will help yous muscles bulk up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ffpm10
by on May. 11, 2012 at 9:42 PM
Yes. You need to have your PCP run blood work checking your T3 and free T4. From there they can refer you to an endocrinologist who can help level out your thyroid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)