Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is it wrong of me to let my kid...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies

get bit by my dog? I'm not talking random kids- I'm talking my own kids.

Right now my dog is under my love seat with a sock. My 12 year old DD & 2 year old DS are trying to get the sock from the dog- who is growling at them. I have told them several times to not mess with the dog. He (the dog) has never bit any of the kids, but they need to learn not to mess with him- especially when I tell them to stop before they do get bit! I'm seriously thinking maybe if the dog does bite them then they will get the point.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:39 PM
Uh, yea it is
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roo1234
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM
You do realize that if the bite is serious enough to need medical attention that your dog will have to be reported. Personally I wouldn't take the risk for the kids' or the dog's sake.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrazyLife1996
by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Um no its not OK. You should be correcting the dog.

In my house the only ones who run it is me and my husband. Not the kids or the dogs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beaularson91
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM

usually i would say its ok to let kids learn the consequences to their actions but in this case you have no idea just how badly the dog can bite its not a chance worth taking

hplesha
by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Nope. Although they would learn just from one bite, but you never know how serious it could get. My cousin got mauled in the face when she was about 10yrs old all because she wanted to feed this dog that was tied up on a hot day. She had to have her face reconstructed. My advice, don't do it if you don't have the funds to back it up, just in case
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trebelcleff
by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM

I've let my cats scratch the kids before, but I'd be less sure of letting a dog bite... a dog bite has a much higher potential to leave permanent or serious damage compared to a cat scratch (if it's cleaned properly and right away).  Plus you can't be sure the dog would simply nip them and let go... it might clench down and not release them.  But then again, I'm not much of a dog person, so I'm not really sure about what would happen. 

KColeman90
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Well like you said you told them to stop so they'll learn

Dinimon
by NoCookiesForYou on May. 12, 2012 at 8:48 PM
A friend of mine got bit in the face and needed cosmetic surgery when she was only 4. So no its not ok and I hope you won't seriously let this happen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyLos
by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:48 PM

i would think the same thing, but like pp said, if it is serious enough your dog will be reported if kid is taken to er, and depending on your state, could be put down. 

Supervane
by Ruby Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:49 PM
Why don't just let the dog have his sock in peace
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)