Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I never want to get married...

Posted by on May. 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM
  • 189 Replies
4 moms liked this

Who else thinks that marriage is just an expensive ceremony with a high rate of an expensive divorce following it?

I have absolutely no desire to get married. People these days get married and hit a small bump and get divorced. It's almost like being a teenager in head over heels love and then your partner talks to another girl and you have this bitter break up.

The divorce rate is 52%. That means you have a higher chance of getting a divorce then staying together forever like you promised during your vows.

I've been in a committed relationship for 6 years. I wear an engagement ring but neither one of us ever want to get married. We still are completely monogamous but in the future if we decide that being together is not right for us anymore we can just go our seperate ways without lawyers and money and all that other stuff.

by on May. 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahLizyB
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2012 at 11:01 AM
4 moms liked this
I'm married, but I never did the expensive wedding. We've been married almost 7 years and very happy
MIA0223
by Emerald Member on May. 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM
This

Quoting SarahLizyB:

I'm married, but I never did the expensive wedding. We've been married almost 7 years and very happy

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
notjstanothrmom
by Ruby Member on May. 13, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I do believe that people can get married and be happy but I also believe that people change and so do their beliefs and attitudes. Just because I've wanted to spend the rest of my life with someone doesn't mean that I'd feel the same in 10 years.

I hope you continue to have a wonderfully loving marriage.

Quoting SarahLizyB:

rkoloms
by on May. 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM
12 moms liked this
Marriage is a legal agreement that gives you solid protection, such as the right to make medical decisons. Without a marriage certificate, you canlegally be banned from your beloved's hospital room, not be eligible for death benefits, and a whole host of other issues. A great bargain, for $75.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM
6 moms liked this

Isn't the engagement ring a reminder every time you look at it of what you'll never have according to the meaning of an engagement ring which is a promise of marriage?  Why even have it at all?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 13, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Walking away without any court involvement may not always be possible. Even without the marriage certificate there are laws that protect common law marriages. I don't know what the law is for that in your state, but if you have disputable assets or custody, just walking away may be easier said than done. With that said, I never wanted to be married either. I was perfectly content in my role as a wife without the walk down the isle. I did it for my husband after being together for 6 years. He wanted the wedding, so I obliged. We have been together for 12 years now, and having a wedding never changed anything for me one bit.

sorcha1945
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM
6 moms liked this
To me marriage is more than a piece of paper. It was a vow I made before God which makes a very serious commitment. I didn't go the expensive route for the wedding either everything including rings dress food flowers reception cake etc was around 2k. The most important thing to me was that I was going to be married to the man I love not the wedding itself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
seraphimsong
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2012 at 11:08 AM
Same here

Quoting SarahLizyB:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bcoll
by Brandi on May. 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Like everything else in life, I think the realtionship is about the people involved , not the title given. I got married 2 months after my 21st birthday, It will be 13 years next month. He is still my best friend.

AJB163
by on May. 13, 2012 at 11:09 AM
I got married at the court house... No dress or tux or reception... All together was $75.00. I never wanted to get married either because the thought of marriage terrified me, but here I am.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)