Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Desperate to find a mom with a kid like mine *UPDATE*

Posted by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:26 PM
  • 112 Replies

I have a bit of an edit. Ash was evaluated by the school and is is some of their findings.
The potential area of disibility is developmental delay. (I can agree that's some of it).
His academics are satisfactory and is at grade level. However, he is on the lower end of average. His behavior is preventing him from learning appropriately.
Critical areas and target behaviors include:
Easily annoyed by others, hits other children and adults, bullies others, looses temper too easily, name calls,is cruel to others, easily distracted, does strange things, talks to self, hands acts as "puppets", is negative about things,upsets easily, trouble following regular routine, stubborn, poor self control, cannot wait to take a turn, disruptive,has trouble keeping up in class,poor handwriting (he is left handed), spelling problems, complains lessons go too fast, trouble making friends.

His teacher and the principal said he claimed there are two Ashtons in his brain. Can hear noises in spider webs.
Falls asleep easily even in school.
Vision and hearing is reported fine.

Well. All of this is from the school and info I found. Out from the meeting today.

I am desperately looking for someone with a child like my 6 year old. I am petrified for his future and out of options. Right now, he is in theraputic foster care. This lady is one of the best they have. Even she has stated she has never had a child like him....not even close. He has been there for almost 5 months and hardly a dint in his behavior. He is a puzzle to his therapists and he fits the "classic descriptions" of a lot of things ranging from ODD, schitzophrenia, PPD and aspergers.... And more. Those are just a few of the ideas we have had. So far, we have tested his thyroid, it's normal and dr says nothing would indicate it coming from there. Next is neurologist. Hopefully a sleep study.
Here are his "symptoms".... And everything is random. He is on average a very sweet, loving and even "average" 6 year old (sometimes average) VERY smart also. When trying to look up ideas and get to the right direction, I don't even know how to describe it. Nothing is a constant and he's VERY unpredictable. His positives are that he is a very good boy.... Until something doesn't go his way. You would think its just him being spoiled. That's not the case. If "spoiled" was any part of his problem, it would have improved under her very strict and structured regimen. He doesn't seem to learn from any kind of discipline and when one thing improves, everything else gets worse.
He seems to have no understanding of love and hate or what a lie is. He knows the words and uses them in correct context (he uses a lot of word a six y/o wouldn't understand or know in context). He's like a light switch and you never know what is going to upset him. Some have said its like he has no conscience. But other times it seems he does. Its like he has at least 2 people in his mind. No concept of danger either. Very minuplitive. I've heard the word "old soul" to describe him. He's so concerned with the "adult world". Not really things that the average 6 y/o would enjoy. Still he is a child and enjoins child like things like riding his bike and playing with his toys and computers.
He's been suspended from school countless times for hitting, kicking and threatening. Teachers also say everything is random. He will harm anyone he pleases simply b/c "they gave him a dirty look" and sometimes he doesn't know why he harmed another student. It's not just his peers who he harms, he has hit the teachers and even the principal. He's harmed his foster teacher aswell.
It seems that the only time he is "normal" is when he is alone with no other "competition" competing for any kind of attention. When he was home, he has tried to harm his little brother. Pinching, hitting, pushing. Trying to parent him, in which I know some of that could be considered normal..... But it's the extent that he takes it that is scary.
It so much more than just physical aggression.... Sometimes he's great with other kids, but you never know when or if he will snap and hurt them.
Random and constant noises. Constant,y making some sort of noises. And they are very loud...... I've wondered about sensory issues. I'm currently looking at the criteria for that. Sometimes he pretends to "hurt" when you touch him or brush his hair.... But it seems like he is just being dramatic.... He doesn't always "hurt". That to is very random.
He has always had a fascination with doors and locks and can take them apart... He can take apart a lot of things, even computers. But he can put them back togetherand doesn't "know anything about them.
The words he says, you would think he is a genious and while is IS very smart, he is an expert parrot. He will hear you say something from a different room and use the same word in correct context in a completely different sentence..... But he doesn't know or understand what that word is.
Even very bad words, like hes " going to strap a bomb onto ________ and blow her up"....... WHERE did he even hear that!?
He's like a 2 or 3 year old in a lot of his behavior...but then normal at other times.
He seems to "get better" for a few days or weeks then regresses back to the same things. Even when he "gets better" it's still only minor improvement.
I'm petrified for his future. As of now, I don't see us getting much of a handle on him. I can just picture (if he makes it to a normal high school) him in HS smacking his girlfriend upside the face simply b/c she told him no for something. I'm scared I'll be having to bail him out of jail multipul times later. He has already been transported back to the crisis center (from his school at the foster teachers town) by police care and it didn't even bother him.
Im scared. I love my son and I fear a very troubling future for him no matter how much I'm trying to help him now. Nothing impacts him, nothing teaches him.... Eventhough he knows somethings he does and says is bad.

I can't find anyone with a kid like him.... Only in cirtian aspects, but not like him.
by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AshandJax
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM

BUMP!

AshandJax
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2012 at 2:30 PM
Please.... I need help.
destiny2nv
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2012 at 2:31 PM
*hugs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
destiny2nv
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM
bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tortuga_beto
by Member on May. 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JBiiirdD
by Platinum Member on May. 13, 2012 at 2:32 PM
I have a 3 year old (full time mom to him; he's my step-son) similar to some of what you've described & I'm at my wits end. I'm also expecting my first child in October & I am petrified of how he'll be. I'm actually going to therapy next week over it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Chaotic-
by on May. 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM
I'm with a five year old a lot like him. You're not alone, will post more when not mobile.. Can't sit down long enough when he's on a rampage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Elayna90
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM
I'll be sending you a PM shortly if that is ok momma. It is going to take me a few minutes since I am mobile.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CrimsonGrace
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2012 at 2:35 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamivon2
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I have a question.. did he have strep throat at one point.. Im looking for an article for you.. about a boy who had similar simptoms like yours and they found out strep caused it...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured