Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The fetus isn't a person

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

Just as a warning, I'm pretty sure no matter what side of the debate you're on this will make people mad and if not mad just make you go what the f. I'm attempting to bend my mind around it and can't. At all. I heard what has to be the most insane and ridiculous anti abortion argument of all time tonight. The argument is as follows:
"One of the pro-choice arguments is that a fetus isn't a person and that science backs that claim up. Hitler didn't think Jews were people and he had scientists to back him up and no one thinks what he did was okay."

Yes folks, you read that correctly. I can't...
Discuss.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 14, 2012 at 5:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 14, 2012 at 5:58 PM

That statement makes sense to me...

LucyHarper
by on May. 14, 2012 at 6:05 PM
3 moms liked this

They are simply saying that just because someone says that someone isn't a person, doesn't make it true, scientists aren't always 100% correct. Though they should work on their history a little, Hitler didn't have scientists prove that Jews weren't people and he didn't think they weren't people, he had scientists use eugenics to "prove" that they were inferior by genes, damned from birth in a sense, and whoever said that fetuses weren't people also need to work on their biology because there is no question that fetuses are human and therefore people no matter what side of the argument you are on, the argument is whether or not they are a "life", as in able to be murdered. I think a more sensible statement on their part would be "one of the prochoice arguments is that a fetus isn't a significant person and that science backs that claim up. Hitler thought Jews were inferior insignificant people and he had scientists to back him up and what he did was not okay."

cklamour
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 6:08 PM
👍

Quoting LucyHarper:

They are simply saying that just because someone says that someone isn't a person, doesn't make it true, scientists aren'r always 100% correct. Though they should work on their history a little, Hitler didn't have scientists prove that Jews weren't people and he didn't think they weren't people, he had scientists use eugenics to "prove" that they were inferior by genes, damned from birth in a sense, and whoe ever said that fetuses weren't people also need to work on their biology because there is no question that fetuses are human and therefore people, the argument is whether or not they are a "life", as in able to be murdered. I think a more sensible statement on their part would be "one of the prochoice arguments is that a fetus isn't a significant person and that science backs that claim up. Hitler thought Jews were inferior insignificant people and he had scientists to back him up and what he did was not okay."

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnastasiaKorsh
by on May. 14, 2012 at 6:14 PM
3 moms liked this

The fetus is indeed a person, it's human, blah blah blah. The difference is a fetus is not a LEGAL person, which has rights.

I can't wrap my mind around people who think its accurate to compare already born people to something that could be given time and the right circumstances.

ARmomOf3
by on May. 14, 2012 at 6:19 PM

ooooook?

Anouck
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2012 at 5:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow... I wish I could say I was shocked, but I'm not. The statements and judgements made by the anti-choice crowd are some of the vilest, most evil things I've ever seen. 

A fetus has the POTENTIAL to become a person, yes. But to compare a fetus with a living, breathing, self sustaining person is ridiculous. And to put the rights of something with the POTENTIAL to become a person ahead of a person that actually already LIVES makes no sense to me.

For the record, pro-choice does NOT mean pro-abortion. I myself wouldn't have one unless my life was in danger, or for other medical reasons. However, I don't believe I have the right to make that choice for others. 

BettyBookWorm
by on May. 18, 2012 at 5:46 PM

bearscubed
by on May. 18, 2012 at 5:49 PM

This.

Quoting LucyHarper:

They are simply saying that just because someone says that someone isn't a person, doesn't make it true, scientists aren't always 100% correct. Though they should work on their history a little, Hitler didn't have scientists prove that Jews weren't people and he didn't think they weren't people, he had scientists use eugenics to "prove" that they were inferior by genes, damned from birth in a sense, and whoever said that fetuses weren't people also need to work on their biology because there is no question that fetuses are human and therefore people no matter what side of the argument you are on, the argument is whether or not they are a "life", as in able to be murdered. I think a more sensible statement on their part would be "one of the prochoice arguments is that a fetus isn't a significant person and that science backs that claim up. Hitler thought Jews were inferior insignificant people and he had scientists to back him up and what he did was not okay."

motherslove82
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2012 at 5:50 PM
Because the term "person" in the case of abortion is a legal term. The only reason that fetuses aren't considered people ( when they are most definitely human) is because the law says they aren't. If they were called people, they would have to be given rights. The Jews were not considered people in Germany for the same reason. The government of both places decided that they were not people and either had them executed or (in the case of abortion) allowed them to be executed. It's not really that much of a reach to make the comparison.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HaloWithHorns78
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2012 at 5:50 PM
A fetus is a person. An unborn person.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)