Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Look it's a white doctor..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

While at the doctors office with dh and ds this is what I thought I heard him say to our son. I was like WTF. This doesn't sound like dh at all. I didn't want to cause a scene so I let it go. Fast forward, we were at our apartment parking lot and I brought it up. He said "white coat". I don't know how i heard that wrong but so glad I heard it wrong and he didn't actually say that . Btw, the nurse who saw me previously was black so I thought that maybe he wasn't saying it because of that. Dh is not racist so I was so astounded. Yes, this would sound racist to me.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 15, 2012 at 2:49 AM
Replies (71-77):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2012 at 6:25 AM

Technically, in the US, whites ARE a minority. Only about 30% of the population is white. And yet, there is a ridiculous amount of white people in power, and so few PoC...

Also, women are technically the majority by a few percentage points, but we're treated as a "special interest group" and also as a minority as well, again because the majority of people in power are men.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well did you know in the next 30 -40 years if not sooner white will be the minority?!

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting pookah1203:

And you're an idiot for believing that white people can experience systemized oppression the same way "minorities" do.

bluedolly01
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2012 at 7:24 AM
Ummm you missed my point completely. I AM OF ABORIGINAL DECENT and just because I don't go round sprouting it from the roof tops my children are not privy to the same "privileges" that other aboriginal children do and I can tell you most of them are whiter than me! Before you judge you should really learn more about how our aboriginals are actually treated. Not to say mistakes haven't been made in the past (think stolen generation) but a lot of good has been done and a lot has been handed to the aboriginals that they simply destroy.

Quoting Anonymous:

Say what???Australia is one of the most oppressive countries when it comes to how they treat their natives!!its 2nd ONLY to the USA,don't come with the "poor me,I'm white in Australia"line.Australian whites should be ashamed of themselves,the way you have and continue to treat aboriginals.

Quoting bluedolly01:

My children are discriminated against all the time her in Australia because they are seen as white but really they are part indigous (sp?). They students who tick "yes" to aboriginal / torres strait islander decent get taken for lunches/excursions/camps etc that my WHITE children do not get (oh and its all for free). This is discrimination in reverse.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know where you live, but here the "PoC" have no problems whatsoever finding work due to filling companies' race quotas. It's damn near impossible to get a job if you're white.

Quoting Anonymous:

*sigh*

White privilege refers to the fact that white people have an advantage over People of Color in almost every aspect of society.

No offense, but I'm not going to tell you specific personal information. I wouldn't bother with anon if I was willing to do so. All that is relevant to this conversation is that I am mixed, and that I am seen as white regardless of my ancestry.

Quoting LucyMom08:

What the fuck is white privilege?! Do you hear yourself at all? If you are mixed, what races are your parents? If one is caucasian, then, yes, you are white. And whatever other race your parents are.

Quoting Anonymous:

Again, I don't even know if I should bother linking sources, as I highly doubt many of you will bother to read them (or even pay attention).

And actually, the dictionary does not oppress me. I can be mistaken as a white person - meaning, I am mixed, but my skin is light enough that almost no one would guess I am not white. I experience white privilege and am not usually oppressed.

Quoting LucyMom08:

So what is *your* definition of racism and prejudice...you know, since the dictionary oppresses you...

Quoting Anonymous:

Never once did I say anyone can't say anything about someone because of their race. I am distinguishing between racism and prejudice in that PoC do not have the political or personal power to silence or discriminate against white people in a over-arcing system the way white people do. One is prejudice, one is not.

Quoting Anonymous:

In other words, anon, because I think you're too dense to understand what she is telling you, she's saying that by you saying that white people can't say anything about any other minority, but that anyone can say anything about white people because they haven't been "systematically oppressed", you are systematically oppressing them.

Quoting 504bbymami:

You are off your rocker.

You're saying that it's not possible for anyone, anywhere at any time to be racist towards white people because they aren't currently being systematically oppressed in the united states?

Think about that for a minute.

And you don't follow the definition of racism in the dictionary, so where do you come up with your definition?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LucyMom08:

The Irish were treated horribly, too, for a while. But they're not discriminated against anymore on a system-wide level.

And misogyny / patriarchy can overlap with racism if on is a woman of color, but a white woman still has it better than a Black woman, even if only slightly. Interaectionality exists, yes, but a Black woman experiences sexism in combined with racism.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KeepJeep
by on May. 15, 2012 at 7:53 AM
You mistake oppression for racism. Your definition of the two terms are skewed. Any group of people can be oppressed. It's an unfortunate fact of life. Hitler was responsible the deaths of millions and millions of Jews. However, he was also responsible for the deaths of the mentally and physically challenged, homosexuals, and those with opposing political ideologies. A lot of those people were white. I believe if we were to go back in time and ask those white folks who were ripped away from their families and forced to work in labor camps if they felt oppressed, they'd say yes. Racism is a term to describe hate or disdain for another race. Racism can occur with or without oppression. Oppression doesn't only apply to large groups of people. A single person can be oppressed. Every race is hated by someone. Period.

Quoting Anonymous:

Regardless of what race you are, one cannot be racist to or against white people. One can be prejudiced against whites, but prejudice and racism are not the same thing.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Hello....read about how the Irish were treated by the English. Learn some history.
incognito116
by on May. 15, 2012 at 8:37 AM

According to Cafemom white is not a race.  Which is why there can't be a white moms group, like there's a black mom's group.  I was in a group once where this chick was saying the nastiest stuff about white people and nothing was done about it because "white" isn't a race so they weren't being racist.  That's bullshit on top of more bullshit.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yeah really, like wtf, I don't understand the statement at all. How is that so that you can not be racist toward white but you can be towards any other race?

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Quoting Anonymous:

Regardless of what race you are, one cannot be racist to or against white people. One can be prejudiced against whites, but prejudice and racism are not the same thing.

Well that's nice and convenient for people who are racist. Now they can come right out and be racist against white people and have someone like you say that their actions and attitude don't even exist!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 15, 2012 at 1:26 PM
But... But... You can't be racist against white people! Lol

Seriously though, I'm sorry your children have to suffer because of other people's ignorance.

Quoting bluedolly01:

My children are discriminated against all the time her in Australia because they are seen as white but really they are part indigous (sp?). They students who tick "yes" to aboriginal / torres strait islander decent get taken for lunches/excursions/camps etc that my WHITE children do not get (oh and its all for free). This is discrimination in reverse.

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't know where you live, but here the "PoC" have no problems whatsoever finding work due to filling companies' race quotas. It's damn near impossible to get a job if you're white.

Quoting Anonymous:

*sigh*

White privilege refers to the fact that white people have an advantage over People of Color in almost every aspect of society.

No offense, but I'm not going to tell you specific personal information. I wouldn't bother with anon if I was willing to do so. All that is relevant to this conversation is that I am mixed, and that I am seen as white regardless of my ancestry.

Quoting LucyMom08:

What the fuck is white privilege?! Do you hear yourself at all? If you are mixed, what races are your parents? If one is caucasian, then, yes, you are white. And whatever other race your parents are.

Quoting Anonymous:

Again, I don't even know if I should bother linking sources, as I highly doubt many of you will bother to read them (or even pay attention).

And actually, the dictionary does not oppress me. I can be mistaken as a white person - meaning, I am mixed, but my skin is light enough that almost no one would guess I am not white. I experience white privilege and am not usually oppressed.

Quoting LucyMom08:

So what is *your* definition of racism and prejudice...you know, since the dictionary oppresses you...

Quoting Anonymous:

Never once did I say anyone can't say anything about someone because of their race. I am distinguishing between racism and prejudice in that PoC do not have the political or personal power to silence or discriminate against white people in a over-arcing system the way white people do. One is prejudice, one is not.

Quoting Anonymous:

In other words, anon, because I think you're too dense to understand what she is telling you, she's saying that by you saying that white people can't say anything about any other minority, but that anyone can say anything about white people because they haven't been "systematically oppressed", you are systematically oppressing them.

Quoting 504bbymami:

You are off your rocker.

You're saying that it's not possible for anyone, anywhere at any time to be racist towards white people because they aren't currently being systematically oppressed in the united states?

And you don't follow the definition of racism in the dictionary, so where do you come up with your definition?

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LucyMom08:

The Irish were treated horribly, too, for a while. But they're not discriminated against anymore on a system-wide level.

And misogyny / patriarchy can overlap with racism if on is a woman of color, but a white woman still has it better than a Black woman, even if only slightly. Interaectionality exists, yes, but a Black woman experiences sexism in combined with racism.

bluedolly01
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2012 at 2:44 PM
The funny thing is if you saw a photo of me there is no way in a million years you would EVER believe that I am of aboriginal decent, that's how white I look. The difference being that a lot of ppl who claim black heritage in Australia can't prove it (nor are they required to) but I can.

But you're right - you can't be racist against white ppl.

Before ppl start saying that Australia is oppressive and racist towards aboriginal ppl, they need to know exactly what is being done for them and most ppl don't. Growing up we lived in mostly aboriginal communities for my dads work and the things I saw would blow your mind. They are handed soooo much on silver platters and the majority blow it on alcohol and throw away opportunities given to them. I have personal reasons for not wanting to claim my heritage in an official capacity to the government but really need to stop listening to the propaganda and find out the reality.

Quoting Anonymous:

But... But... You can't be racist against white people! Lol

Seriously though, I'm sorry your children have to suffer because of other people's ignorance.

Quoting bluedolly01:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

*sigh*

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting 504bbymami:

You are off your rocker.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting LucyMom08:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)