Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

moms with ADHD!!

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM
  • 17 Replies

Ok, I was diagnosed with ADHD in the 4th grade, I have taken many medications for it, I have tried Vyvanse and Concerta neither worked as well as the Adderall, I am now back on the adderall but today when I went to see my doc , she had a stand in that told me I need to try and figure something else out besides meds??? My doc has never once suggested this, so my question to you is if you have ADHD have you tried going off the meds? What happened? I am a wreck without my meds , I cant focus or anything...

by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunshinebebe26
by on May. 16, 2012 at 3:26 PM

BUMP!

sunshinebebe26
by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:27 PM

BUMP!

CherryBlossom4
by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I don't have it... but my son does. I can tell you that he is much happier on his meds. I'd have told her, "Thanks, but i'd rather discuss this with my doctor that knows my history more than just glancing over my medical chart. If she feels the same way, i'll dicuss it with her."

sunshinebebe26
by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting CherryBlossom4:

I don't have it... but my son does. I can tell you that he is much happier on his meds. I'd have told her, "Thanks, but i'd rather discuss this with my doctor that knows my history more than just glancing over my medical chart. If she feels the same way, i'll dicuss it with her."

I am a wreck without my meds, this doctor told me I was basically taking perscription speed... I was really offended and you might find humor in this she told me I should seek counceling for my ADHD... I was like you don't understand I cannot function without my meds, i cannot complete a single task!!

samanthaleah84
by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:36 PM
Yes I have tried and not only am I impulsive and a wreck but it puts the entire family on edge. Adderall is all that works fot me as well. I would LOVE to be off meds but haven't found a successful way to do that yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CorissaRogue
by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM
That's funny, I'm 20 with a 2 year old daughter. Single mom. Just diagnosed with ADD. I don't have the hyperactivity portion so much, but a complete lack of motivation and easily overwhelmed by my to-do lists. I started Adderall, and I never want to go back. The stigma attached to it is the REAL problem. Not the drug or it's PROPER users. It's rather insulting, people who tell you what they THINK it is. Even doctors. They know about medicine, but they aren't a diagnosed sufferer of anything. Therefore, they call things as they see them, which is never the full picture. So, I would suggest talking with your doctor about it. Make sure to mention the stand-in's offensive "opinion" and that it was basically a presumptive attack on a struggling mother who just needs to take prescribed meds for a mental condition. That stuff absolutely sickens me. I wouldn't suggest going without your meds based solely on what some doctor who has NO idea what it's really like says. Your well-being and overall happiness is far more important.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunshinebebe26
by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Quoting samanthaleah84:

Yes I have tried and not only am I impulsive and a wreck but it puts the entire family on edge. Adderall is all that works fot me as well. I would LOVE to be off meds but haven't found a successful way to do that yet.

I have tried to come off twice and both times it ended up really bad..

CorissaRogue
by on May. 16, 2012 at 4:45 PM
Oh, and one more addition: counselling for ADHD?? Maybe as a part of therapy that INCLUDES medication.. Doesn't anyone realize that it isn't a chosen behavior that we can just 'turn off' when it isn't cute anymore?? I've struggled my whole life. Thankful for my diagnosis and meds, but before I was unable to even clean my own room. I realized that I wanted to, but couldn't. There's no way to learn to be different by being counselled. That's kind of far fetched and unwarranted advice, in my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bry36
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2012 at 4:48 PM

I have ADD my son had ADHD I dont take meds son does (adderall and yes nothing else has worked for him eaither)  but have been thinking of starting but have been putting it off becasue we are TTC I also am just a bit OCD but I micro manage myself alot  LOL I have learned over the yrs to make list and stick to them but it def was a lesson that took yrs to finally accomplish doing 100% I am implusive and have a really hard time completing anything as well as forget everything it drives my DH crazy because he a very particular and detailed person and his follow through is incredaible luckily he loves me and my craziness eventhough he just doesnt get it . I just hate not getting everything done or not starting something I know needs to be done . I still might deside to take them after we have baby just depends on how well I can manage

MamaJess9
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2012 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this
It's amazing how even some doctors are misinformed. I don't have it, but my DS does, and his pediatrician explained why therapy alone wouldn't work very well. He said you can't counsel away a physical medical problem. Your brains do not work the same as a person with ADHD, that has been proven with brain scans. It isn't something you can just "work on".

Quoting sunshinebebe26:

Quoting CherryBlossom4:

I am a wreck without my meds, this doctor told me I was basically taking perscription speed... I was really offended and you might find humor in this she told me I should seek counceling for my ADHD... I was like you don't understand I cannot function without my meds, i cannot complete a single task!!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)