Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should NCPs have a room for the child during visitation?

Posted by   + Show Post

In every childsupport post there is always a common opinion that childsupport should go towards rent/mortgage because the custodial parent wouldn't need extra bedrooms if the children didn't live with them. Those with that opinion....do you feel the NCP should have extra bedrooms for the children when they visit?

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2012 at 8:13 PM

Oh yes KWYM. Just can't understand all the bickering over cost of kids as they aren't cheap and making more cost more. Then spitting and two households is a huge increase. Add a new spouse, some step kids and some new ones you share and no duh you can't afford it all. That whole living within the budget includes second households, new spouses and additional children. 

Quoting Luna091306:

True. Most of the time both parties claim irreconcilable differences anyways. I was just thinking in cases of one spouse cheating on the other or leaving for a different relationship. The NCP isn't always at fault though, kwim?

Quoting Anonymous:

Almost 100% if you can establish that full responsibility falls on them. It would be hard to place it all on the person at fault for the divorce though because most of the time the reason for divorce was evident in dating, engagement, etc. People will blindly or foolishly ignore things and then want to cry victim when the spouse doesn't change. 

Quoting Luna091306:

Shouldn't the person at fault for the divorce be responsible for the extra costs?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes. This is the cost you incur when you marry the wrong person or won't invest in the right person. It's not the kids fault. Two homes cost a butt load and the kids deserve own space in both places. 

othermom
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2012 at 9:07 PM

It depends on how often the child visits. If there are no over night visits, I don't think it would be necessary. For overnight visits the child would aleast need their own bed and dresser

MamiJaAyla
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2012 at 9:16 PM

depends on the idividual situation.  How often they visit? what the house is like? Are there other children there as well?  Same sex or diff. sex?  etc.etc.etc.

NikLvsNick
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 9:36 PM

I'm the custodial parent and DD and DS have their own rooms here. SO and I made sure of that when we moved in together. At their bio dads house DD shares a room with their half sister and DS shares a room with their half brother. I see nothing wrong with it.

michelleinfl
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Depends on a lot of different things. I think that if there aren't enough rooms for each kid to have their own then it is ok to share. Even if sharing it is still "their" room too. They should have their own bed, dresser/clothign space, personal items in the room, etc. I wouldn't want my sk to have to throw his luggage in the closet and sleep on the floor in the den or anything. Who would feel at home like that?!?!?

LoganTroyMom
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:12 PM
yes if they see them often
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 16, 2012 at 10:13 PM

DS doesnt have his own room here, with me/his mom... dad isnt involved, but he is in the big brother program and he has his own room at his Big's house... equiped with his own bed, own toys, a few of his clothes (bought by me and his Big).

i'd rather DS have his own room, but its just not possible. =( so if his bio-dad did come around, i cant say "no, he HAS to have his own room" if he doesnt even have his own with his custodial parent, ya know.

LucyHarper
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:13 PM

A room would be ideal, make it more homey and giving the child a proper place to sleep, but if that isn't financially possible, its better to have a child sleeping on the couch then to never get to sleep over with the NCP.

Stephd710
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM
Right now my girls are 19 months and sleep in pack and plays at their dads house. He lives in an apartment with his girlfriend, their baby, and her daughter. It's a 2 bedroom place. Right now I'm ok with it, but I hope by that the time they reach school age, he will have a place with a room and real beds for them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pristine729
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Quoting mommytoeandb:

It's nice, but I don't think it is necessary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)