Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why are teachers so judgmental toward homeschooling moms?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 309 Replies

Every teacher I know always discourages homeschooling...even if they do not know the mom or the mom's qualifications in teaching her children.  They automatically assume that they are better equipped just because they have a teaching license.  So I have to wonder...is it really just about funding and job security?  

I mean, it is not as if these teachers are sitting through a day of homeschool and getting a feel for what/how the children are learning so why are they so quick to judge when they really have no idea?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on May. 16, 2012 at 6:21 PM
7 moms liked this
Well here in michigan, you dont even have to have a high school diploma or ged to homeschool. That is pretty scary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof4boyz1girl
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2012 at 6:22 PM
6 moms liked this

They fear competition.

laciD
by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:22 PM
The only homeschoolers I know are certified teachers...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alexxxxx
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 6:23 PM
2 moms liked this

Because teachers tend to believe in the education system. 

champagne_rose
by on May. 16, 2012 at 6:30 PM

BUMP!

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on May. 16, 2012 at 6:32 PM
All of my son's teachers from PS are super supportive of our homeschooling. So are all of my teacher friends. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 16, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Maybe it's because they were in school for a few years and then I decided to homeschool.  

Quoting bmw29:

All of my son's teachers from PS are super supportive of our homeschooling. So are all of my teacher friends. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 16, 2012 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I am in MI, homeschool and have my diploma. My friend homeschools and didnt graduate and her kids is a mini genius and she is the most organized women I know. She is 34 now, now a stupid 17 year old who felt the need to leave school. Why is she unqualified?

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Well here in michigan, you dont even have to have a high school diploma or ged to homeschool. That is pretty scary.

mamaistheword87
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2012 at 8:10 PM
8 moms liked this

Because homeschooling mothers are putting teachers out of jobs! Long live the free market! Maybe if teachers weren't so crappy, fewer people would homeschool.

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on May. 16, 2012 at 8:18 PM
2 moms liked this

My aunt is a teacher and when she found out I was going to homeschool, she went off on me and caused all sorts of drama in the family.

In my state, homeschooled students have to take a standardized test in reading and math every year to determine their grade level.

In April of the year my son was in 4th grade, his reading level was 7th grade, 8th months, so he was going into the 5th grade, reading at an 8th grade level.

I made sure to the aunt a copy of his test results (he was also ahead in math, but only by a year). Of course she had no comment. By then she was not speaking to me, because in her opinion I was abusing my kids by homeschooling them

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)