Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why are teachers so judgmental toward homeschooling moms?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Every teacher I know always discourages homeschooling...even if they do not know the mom or the mom's qualifications in teaching her children.  They automatically assume that they are better equipped just because they have a teaching license.  So I have to wonder...is it really just about funding and job security?  

I mean, it is not as if these teachers are sitting through a day of homeschool and getting a feel for what/how the children are learning so why are they so quick to judge when they really have no idea?

Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2012 at 6:20 PM
Replies (21-30):
carolkey74
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

Because most are drastically underqualified.

How do you know this? Making general assumptions on either side of this issue is irresponsible. We are a homeschooling family, and my husband and I are both college graduates. I have homeschooling friends who only graduated from high school, and are terrific teachers. Conversely, after working in the public school system for several years, I met some teachers who gave the profession a bad name. Your statement has no data to back it up.

Mom of Laura-my 13 going on 30 angel, and 11 year old Nathan, the happiest kid in the world who happens to have Asperger's.

mamaistheword87
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:35 PM

? Are you writing from the bathroom? The "UGH" is a little TMI.

Quoting lovinglife0682:

Quoting mamaistheword87:

Because homeschooling mothers are putting teachers out of jobs! Long live the free market! Maybe if teachers weren't so crappy, fewer people would homeschool.

such Crap. This is all such Crap. Ugh.

two4one
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2012 at 8:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I am not against homeschooling, if it is done right. A child will certainly learn more on an individualized basis. No doubt about it. However, so many people are pulling there kids to homeschool and they have no real clue.. I have had many parents over the years tell me that they don't understand their kids HW. Not just HW I have assigned, but in other classes. I wouldn't want someone like that being the primary educator of their child. But a smat parent can certainly teach their child perfectly well.

I will say that I do feel I am more qualified to teach than the layperson. Why wouldn't I be? I have taken many, many classes, recieved hours of training, and have been working in education for 10 years. While I can take care of a garden, a landscaper has skills superior to mine. It's the same thing.

lovinglife0682
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Homeschooling parents are not putting teachers out of work. Also to say if teachers arent so crappy is absolutely ridiculous.

Quoting Anonymous:

How is that crap? The number of homeschooled families are growing.

Quoting lovinglife0682:

Quoting mamaistheword87:

Because homeschooling mothers are putting teachers out of jobs! Long live the free market! Maybe if teachers weren't so crappy, fewer people would homeschool.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinglife0682
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:37 PM
Wow, you sound like a highly intelligent woman. I need a break from this place.

Quoting mamaistheword87:

Quoting lovinglife0682:

Quoting mamaistheword87:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raegansmom
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM
I like the idea of home schooled kids having to take the same standardized tests as public school kids. I think that would weed out those who claim to home school when in reality they are not & just giving real home schoolers a bad name.

Quoting wrensong:

My aunt is a teacher and when she found out I was going to homeschool, she went off on me and caused all sorts of drama in the family.

In my state, homeschooled students have to take a standardized test in reading and math every year to determine their grade level.

In April of the year my son was in 4th grade, his reading level was 7th grade, 8th months, so he was going into the 5th grade, reading at an 8th grade level.

I made sure to the aunt a copy of his test results (he was also ahead in math, but only by a year). Of course she had no comment. By then she was not speaking to me, because in her opinion I was abusing my kids by homeschooling them

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytoeandb
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2012 at 8:39 PM
The teachers at DD's school support homeschooling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaistheword87
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:40 PM

LOL. You go do that, hunny. The arbitrary capitalization followed by your calling others unintelligent is rich in irony!  Thank you for making my day.

Quoting lovinglife0682:

Wow, you sound like a highly intelligent woman. I need a break from this place.

Quoting mamaistheword87:

Quoting lovinglife0682:

Quoting mamaistheword87:

Derari
by :::Achtung::: on May. 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM
They weren't handing out the degrees first come first serve...they had to do a lot of work, learning to earn the degrees. Sometimes it is not about the qualification about the mom h/s the kid...socialization, classroom rules, being out of the home and building confidence too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 16, 2012 at 8:42 PM

You're the exception, not the rule.  The statement is that most are underqualified - not all.  And most are. 

Quoting carolkey74:

Quoting Anonymous:

Because most are drastically underqualified.

How do you know this? Making general assumptions on either side of this issue is irresponsible. We are a homeschooling family, and my husband and I are both college graduates. I have homeschooling friends who only graduated from high school, and are terrific teachers. Conversely, after working in the public school system for several years, I met some teachers who gave the profession a bad name. Your statement has no data to back it up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)