Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

God is all powerful....well, until something bad happens....then you're screwed.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

There are things in my life that I am extremely bitter about.  Here's a question for all the Christians....How come when you pray and your prayers are answered, there is absolutely no doubt as far as a Christian is concerned that God listened and answered your prayer.  His power made the good happen....But, what if you pray and your prayers are NOT answered?  Usually the response I get when I ask a Christian is this:  "Oh, well God works in mysterious ways.  We don't know why these things happen". 

That's awfully convenient.  You are supposed to be grateful for all the good but, if God is sooooo powerful and can control absolutely EVERYTHING, why doesn't He? 

Posted by Anonymous on May. 16, 2012 at 10:50 PM
Replies (21-30):
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on May. 16, 2012 at 11:06 PM

:) lol!

Quoting Anonymous:

There is a reason why the winds blows. The weather man just leave that part out sometimes. lol

Quoting brettsmomma:

I agree. Its my main problem with Christianity. "It happens for a reason" Is the biggest piece of bullshit I have ever heard. 

and dont even get me started on "God lays nothing on you that you cant handle" 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2012 at 11:07 PM
Look for my other reply to this same question. However I will add personally my family has gone through much of what you listed, my daughter is autistic and my mom has two different types of cancer. Many times I've asked God why? Sometimes I don't feel like I have an answer, but that is where faith comes in

Quoting SDarvasi:

Quoting Anonymous:

It sounds like you already know the answer, you just don't want to accept it. Sometimes to answer to a prayer is no. Sometimes He gives us what we need and we screw it up.

So....explain that to the kids who get kidnapped and murdered, Or molested. Or the victims of war. Or the starving people around the world. or the person dying of cancer.....victims of natural disasters....the list goes on and on and on. Tell them all that they "screwed it up".

kaitalynn
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:07 PM
One of the answers I've sort of toyed with is that without trauma and grief life is too easy (don't get me wrong I would take it-I just don't think that's the way things are supposed to be). I think we need a purpose, to fix things, or to right wrongs in order to be satisfied in life and essentially some people create that purpose, others fight to right it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nikki32230
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:07 PM
I dunno man, there are a lot of prayers for one being to answer to, I have to think its more than anyone or thing (whatever you think it or he is) can handle.....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hilary799
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Of course I was devastated!!! What kind of question is that??? But then I had a full term baby within a year or two each time afterwards. But, I trusted in God enough to know that when I was ready for another child, that I would have one. And if that never came about, then I would have been okay with that. We probably would have adopted if we had been given the opportunity.

Quoting Anonymous:

But, if you could live your life over again.....would you still want to experience what you experienced with your miscarriages?  I don't think that when you had your miscarriages you thought, 'oh well, it just wasn't meant to be'....you were devastated instead I'm sure.  Millions and millions of people have full-term healthy babies, but God had the strength and power to prevent what happened to you but He didn't.  How could you not be bitter?  That doesn't make any sense to me.

Quoting Hilary799:

He answers, just sometimes not in the way or the answer we think it should be. For ex. there was a reason for every one of my miscarriages. I ended up with the children I was meant to have, with the man I was meant to be with.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 16, 2012 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

'just not the way we were expecting'....such a cliched answer.  And THAT is supposed to make people feel better????!!!!  I could write a book on the cliche answers Christians give for everything. 

Quoting .ZombieGirl.:

I asked my aunt this (she is Catholic) and she answered "God does answer their prays, just not in the way they were expecting."

razmatazthespaz
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:08 PM
2 moms liked this

i guess i as raised with a different sort of christian philosohy than most....

I was raised to believe that god put free will above everything, he gave us the start we needed and had our ends planned, everything in between was on us... we had to trust that he loved us, and gave us our lives for a reason, it was our job to find that reason and be thankfull for the building blcks, but that we were to give ourselves the credit and the people around credit for helping to mold that life both positively and negatively, and that all good and bad inbetween the beginning and end was on us (as in humanity). we didn't thank god for the good things that happened in life. we worked hard to make good things happen. and when bad things happened credit went where credit was due!

i'm an atheist now. but now because the bible confuses me. but because i just don't believe in god. i think we use religion to explain the things we don't yet understand and as we grow as a species and we learn and evelove we will eventually move beyond religion.

lynnd4
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:09 PM
God doesn't always answer my prayers. If I truly need something, I will get it, even if its not how I planned.

I don't know why bad things happen like children getting cancer. God gave us free will as I'm sure you've heard a million times. Basically I take it as he doesn't intervene. I agree its difficult to understand and accept this.

How would the world be if God took absolute control?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Those things happen because of sin, not God people just find it easier to blame God

Quoting brettsmomma:

What comfort does it give a woman holding her dead son to know that God had a reason for him to feel the immense pain as he laid there suffering until he drew his last breath? I can tell you.. none. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Having a problem with God as our strength and knowing He will get us through anything is one of the most comforting parts of Christianity

Quoting brettsmomma:

I agree. Its my main problem with Christianity. "It happens for a reason" Is the biggest piece of bullshit I have ever heard. 

and dont even get me started on "God lays nothing on you that you cant handle" 

ArianasMama2007
by on May. 16, 2012 at 11:10 PM
Im agnostic
I don't mind religion
The only time religion bothers me is when someone is trying to shove theirs down mine or my child's throat.
I respect your belief enough not to try to change them, have the same respect for mine.

And also when someone is in a bad situation but does nothing about it at all, just sets on their ass claiming god will answer their their payers and magically fix everything
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)