Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Am I a judgemental prude?

Posted by   + Show Post

This suit is fine to me if you are a model, at a public beach in miami, but at a local community center for your 3 yr old's swim lesson is just a bit over the top for me.

You should have seen my 7 yr old sons' face when a woman walked in with one like this on.   Most of the people there were teenager lifeguards and families.   I think if you can afford a suit like this, ((only hers was actually  sexier and a little bit more "BDSM"...))  I really wish you would buy one that's a little more family friendly to wear to other outings.

by on May. 17, 2012 at 4:15 PM
Replies (721-730):
LizByers922
by Member on May. 20, 2012 at 3:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Wearing this swim suit to swim lessons is the equivalent to wearing a cocktail dress to a picnic. Nothing wrong with the suit itself because certainly a bikini would show more skin, but really, it's just too fancy for swim lessons. Some sundresses could show more skin than a cocktail dress but would still be more appropriate for the picnic, just as s bikini would be better for taking the kids swimming.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BiancaB
by on May. 20, 2012 at 4:16 AM
3 moms liked this
I don't think that kids have a problem with it, adults do. Children are innocent.

For all you know she's been working hard to get her body back in shape after having kids & now that she's feeling good about herself again, she decided to wear something that made her feel good. She may have had that in her cupboard for ages waiting for the chance to fit into it again. When you become a mom, you don't have to lock your sexuality away & onky wear frumpy stuff. I only own bikinis & ll wear them when I fit into them again. I'm 28 years old, not 68. I'd love to be able to wear a costume like that!
Cher53
by on May. 20, 2012 at 4:21 AM

Really I think you are correct, she shouldn't be dressing like this maybe for a private showing with dh but that is about it. Family friendly is as good of of name as any..

kathylue
by on May. 20, 2012 at 6:07 AM

It is not more revealing than a two peice bathing suit. I do not know if it is that horribly inappropriate... There are lava lavas, wraps that can be worn in close range out of the pool with children.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 20, 2012 at 6:15 AM
Thats a big issue for you? Wow. Our local pool that teaches lessons would terrify you then. Most women where tiny bikinis. I wear a one piece and look out of place. I just don't want my breasts to fall out. Seen that happen too many times.
seafire
by on May. 20, 2012 at 6:45 AM
3 moms liked this

This suit is perfectly acceptable in any venue, if worn by a person who has the body it's been designed for. It WOULD be offensive on a woman weighing 225 pounds who chose to wear it in a size six. There is nothing exposed or offensive and if you find it to be so, take your 7 year old to a swimming pool geared toward families in particular but to appoint and annoint yourself as "keeper of ladies swimming attire" is both arrogant and ignorant. She is fully covered and to think otherwise is archaic and antidiluvian. I notice you are not showing any 300 pound men parading around in speedos. So then, add "anti-feminist" and "male-entitlement" to the list of offensive female-bashing offenses along with of the plethora of things wrong with your attacks on an attractive woman wearing an au courant bathing suit that should offend no one. What ARE you teaching your 7 year old? That women should be completely covered from head to toe? There are many countries and cultures that agree with you. Thank God I don't live in one. YET. With such attitudes as I am reading here, it won't be long.

jazzymom328
by on May. 20, 2012 at 7:16 AM

I'm pretty sure most kids don't notice stuff like this.  The parents do!  Nothing wrong with it.

missybest
by on May. 20, 2012 at 7:50 AM
2 moms liked this

This goes back to a conversation the other day about daisy dukes, etc., and being a mom.  Personally, I think there should be some decorum around children, dads, teenagers, etc.  Others seem to think that is prudish and everyone should be "sexy" all the time.  I think being a mom is important and "sex" doesn't really fit around kids, other dads and moms, teenagers, etc.  But, it seems those of us who think some discretion is appropriate are in the minority these days.  TV and movies seem to show that all of us should be "sexy" all the time and try to act single and 20 even in our 50's and 60's.  I think our society is over the top with all the sexual displays.  I agree with the author!

missybest
by on May. 20, 2012 at 7:59 AM
3 moms liked this

To BiancaB - You say that "Kids don't have a problem with it - adults do.  Children are innocent".  Isn't that the point, BiancaB?  Aren't we taking away our chldren's innocence by being so selfish that even at a child's swim lessons we will do our best to be "sexy"?  I include bikinis in this category too.  Our poor children are bombarded by "sex" in our culture.  Very young children who really should know nothing about sex, DO know something about sex.  Our culture is forcing it on them.  Mom's and dad's who think life is about being sexy need some help in the maturity department.  Just my opinion.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 20, 2012 at 8:02 AM
It looks fine to me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)