Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i need help asap...as in yesterday...what do i do?*Spoke to law enforcement*

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:28 PM
  • 28 Replies

my ex and i get along great and agree on almost everything concerning our ds. we have a great relationship and there is one thing that seems to constantly pick an argument!

my ds just turned 4 yesterday. my exdh owns two motorccycles...crotch rocket style, not harley.

he had been taking ds on slow roll rides in the yard to get him used to the bike. an he didnt have a cycle helmet yet so he put a bike helmet and pad on him. which i was never ok with!

well now that ds has a full face kbc with a biking suit full body with padding built in and gloves etc, hes taking him on city streets!!!

now, ds sits on coreys lap in front of him and corey leans over him. but were talking 30mph!!!!!never more than that but still!!!!

im seriously NOT ok with this. corey is an excellent rider, he doesnt mess around. it has nothing to do with his abilities, i just feel like four is too youngto be going 30mph ona crotch rocket on citystreets, especially five miles at a time (distance between his house and daycare)

what can i do? custody and court aside, how do i convice him hes to young?
or am i completely overreacting?

I called the missouri highway patrol AND the boone county sheriffs office. they both said a child must be in a booster seat until age 8 in a four wheeled enclosed vehicle. 2 and 3 wheeled open vehicles do not have the same laws. In fact, there are NO laws regarding children and motorcylcles or trikes. the only law is that the helmet be a DOT approved helmet (which his is) and there are no laws rules or regulations concerning WHERE the child must be positioned (behind or in front of driver) they said its all about common sense and comfort for the child and driver. Their feet DO NOT have to touch the pegs as long as they have somewhere safe to set them.

Both said if they saw corey with Tucker on his bike on the street or highway they would NOT bother him at all just for haveing my 45lb 4 yr old on there!

also, it is NOT child endangerment and he is NOT breaking any missouri laws.

so I have NO argument in this one. I just have to deal with it.

I did talk to corey about the safety belt someone mentioned and he agreed to look into it, I even offered to split the cost with him if he would get one!

Mom to Tucker Wayne~ May 2008 & Owen Mabry ~ DUE July 19th.  STBwife to Troy~ Sept 8, 2012.  Itworks body wrap rep~ NONextreme Couponer and trainer~ Christian~Pro-Life~Nonpolitical~Believes your choices for your children, are YOUR choices, Not mine.

by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WrapNLoseInches
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 10:38 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WrapNLoseInches
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 10:40 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squag.mom
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:40 PM
I'd be nervous too :/ wish I had more advice for you :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
krazymami028
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Shouldn't he still be boostered in a car? Tell him it's illegal and you don't want him to get in trouble
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 17, 2012 at 10:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Check into the laws in your state.

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2012 at 10:44 PM

wow, this is sooo hard...   I mean, a lot of daddies take their sons on their motorcycle with them...   it's just when it's a shared custody thing....   it makes it even harder.

I think the best you can do is first talk with him.   Negotiate a little, if needed, like on speed limits, distance, etc...

but it's gonna be hard to say "NO" completely when you might have known he was getting the suit and correct helmet....  I mean, no should have come up back then... when he was first giving him rides in the yard.

Just my thoughts, and I'm sorry, cuz I know it would scare me too.   Hubby and I have to have this discussion soon because he just got his first ever bike.

nikki32230
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:45 PM
Way too young, I wouldn't like it one by either, and I'm pretty sure it's probably illegal, I'd be really suprised if it wasn't... So there's that...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elleinady
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Fucking moron.

It's illegal in many states. Check the laws and then tell him you'll have him arrested.

areyouatroll
by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:47 PM
My brotheer fell asleep while riding on my step dads motorcycle. He was 4 too. My mom and step dad were separated at the time, and my mom didn't agree with it either. Luckily my brother didn't get hurt, and That made my step dad realize he was not mature enough yet.

It's so dangerous. I'll be thinking of you guys, I hope there is something you can do/say to make him realize its a bad idea!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WrapNLoseInches
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2012 at 10:49 PM
i didnt know when or if he was getting a suit. but i did know we discussed a proper helmet, one that he can use on his dirt bike (it has training wheels on it!!) his power wheel four wheeler, his bicycles etc... all stuff to teach proper care and caution....but i didnt think he would actually take him on city streets, and not MAIN streets of town!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)