Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i need help asap...as in yesterday...what do i do?*Spoke to law enforcement*

my ex and i get along great and agree on almost everything concerning our ds. we have a great relationship and there is one thing that seems to constantly pick an argument!

my ds just turned 4 yesterday. my exdh owns two motorccycles...crotch rocket style, not harley.

he had been taking ds on slow roll rides in the yard to get him used to the bike. an he didnt have a cycle helmet yet so he put a bike helmet and pad on him. which i was never ok with!

well now that ds has a full face kbc with a biking suit full body with padding built in and gloves etc, hes taking him on city streets!!!

now, ds sits on coreys lap in front of him and corey leans over him. but were talking 30mph!!!!!never more than that but still!!!!

im seriously NOT ok with this. corey is an excellent rider, he doesnt mess around. it has nothing to do with his abilities, i just feel like four is too youngto be going 30mph ona crotch rocket on citystreets, especially five miles at a time (distance between his house and daycare)

what can i do? custody and court aside, how do i convice him hes to young?
or am i completely overreacting?

I called the missouri highway patrol AND the boone county sheriffs office. they both said a child must be in a booster seat until age 8 in a four wheeled enclosed vehicle. 2 and 3 wheeled open vehicles do not have the same laws. In fact, there are NO laws regarding children and motorcylcles or trikes. the only law is that the helmet be a DOT approved helmet (which his is) and there are no laws rules or regulations concerning WHERE the child must be positioned (behind or in front of driver) they said its all about common sense and comfort for the child and driver. Their feet DO NOT have to touch the pegs as long as they have somewhere safe to set them.

Both said if they saw corey with Tucker on his bike on the street or highway they would NOT bother him at all just for haveing my 45lb 4 yr old on there!

also, it is NOT child endangerment and he is NOT breaking any missouri laws.

so I have NO argument in this one. I just have to deal with it.

I did talk to corey about the safety belt someone mentioned and he agreed to look into it, I even offered to split the cost with him if he would get one!

Mom to Tucker Wayne~ May 2008 & Owen Mabry ~ DUE July 19th.  STBwife to Troy~ Sept 8, 2012.  Itworks body wrap rep~ NONextreme Couponer and trainer~ Christian~Pro-Life~Nonpolitical~Believes your choices for your children, are YOUR choices, Not mine.

by on May. 17, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Replies (21-28):
FIREFOX1336
by on May. 17, 2012 at 11:13 PM
Ok so before I say this, I grew up on the back of my dads sport bike. Key word there is BACK!! It is so dangerous for him to be in front of the driver because he will get in the way of handling the bike. The way I have it for my kids also is the same rules my dad had for me, must be able to reach the back pegs properly, not just with tippy toes, not o they can reach the saddle bags the back pegs, must have closed shoes, jeans, and a jacket on along with a properly fitting full face helmet, you should be able to grab the front of the helmet and "shake" it side to side and the helmet should not move on the Persons head. My dad also has a belt called a buddy belt, it simply is a belt that has handles for a passenger to hold onto. To be honest once my kids reach the limits I have set they will be riding if they want to, on city streets, just no interstates and within their comfortabilities. For the longest time I was afraid to go over train tracks so my dad avoided them until one day I asked to go somewhere specific and before we even left he made sure I knew only way to get there was to go over train tracks.
WrapNLoseInches
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2012 at 11:14 AM

bump spoke with law enforcement

WrapNLoseInches
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2012 at 11:27 AM

i did. there are no laws concerning children and motorcycles.

Quoting Anonymous:

Check into the laws in your state.

Mom to Tucker Wayne~ May 2008 & Owen Mabry ~ DUE July 19th.  STBwife to Troy~ Sept 8, 2012.  Itworks body wrap rep~ NONextreme Couponer and trainer~ Christian~Pro-Life~Nonpolitical~Believes your choices for your children, are YOUR choices, Not mine.

WrapNLoseInches
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2012 at 11:29 AM

i agree. its not the motorcycle i have a problem with. he rode ours and he rides them at church too, but they are harleys and have sissy bars/seats and NEVER anywhere but the parking lot or yard. its the whole busy street on a crotchrocket sitting in FRONT of the driver taht has me worried. the driver already has to lean forward on a crotchrocket, so corey leans down over tucker...

Quoting KrissyKC:

wow, this is sooo hard...   I mean, a lot of daddies take their sons on their motorcycle with them...   it's just when it's a shared custody thing....   it makes it even harder.

I think the best you can do is first talk with him.   Negotiate a little, if needed, like on speed limits, distance, etc...

but it's gonna be hard to say "NO" completely when you might have known he was getting the suit and correct helmet....  I mean, no should have come up back then... when he was first giving him rides in the yard.

Just my thoughts, and I'm sorry, cuz I know it would scare me too.   Hubby and I have to have this discussion soon because he just got his first ever bike.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM
My Dh has a motorcycle and there is no way in hell that he would ever ride either of my children on it. I would kill him.
WrapNLoseInches
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2012 at 11:32 AM

we both have grown up on and around bikes, its never been an issue up til now because we are both good riders. and ds has only ever ridden on  back country roads or in the yard.

now that he has a proper helmet and fully padded suiting head to toe, Ex is taking him on 5 mile trips across town on busy streets and intersections.. but there are no laws to help back me on this one..:(

Quoting Anonymous:

My Dh has a motorcycle and there is no way in hell that he would ever ride either of my children on it. I would kill him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 18, 2012 at 11:37 AM
That really sucks, I can only imagine the things that run through your head.

I can not believe there are no laws on this.

Quoting WrapNLoseInches:

we both have grown up on and around bikes, its never been an issue up til now because we are both good riders. and ds has only ever ridden on  back country roads or in the yard.

now that he has a proper helmet and fully padded suiting head to toe, Ex is taking him on 5 mile trips across town on busy streets and intersections.. but there are no laws to help back me on this one..:(

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 18, 2012 at 11:43 AM
It sounds like your ex is trying to make you as comfortable as possible by looking into the seatbelt.

I guess in this case you are going to have to trust his abilities as a rider.

I'm sorry I can't give you anything else.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)