Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have never made a FS post before but I just have to say something.

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I am disgusted that the EBT card can be used for fast food. Last night we had Dominos pizza. A man paid for his order with the damn fs card. Today, Jack in the Box (for a drink after school) and the man paid with a fs card. Yes, by all means, feed the starving masses. But let them shop for and prepare their meals. Why are we allowing them to waste gov't funds on fast food?!

Fast Food Chains Getting Into the Food Stamp Act

In an ever-growing number of  states, if you crave a taco or fried chicken from a fast-food restaurant,  you can pay for  it with food stamps.

Food stamps - known more formally as the USDA’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program -  have been in use for grocery staples, such as bread and milk, since 1934, but now, for the first time,  they can be used for fast food  in four states across the country.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2011/09/fast-food-chains-getting-into-the-food-stamp-act/

Posted by Anonymous on May. 17, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Replies (231-239):
AmandaMaeBell
by on May. 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM

oh okay

Quoting DylansMommyXo:

This, I'm in FL

Quoting AmandaMaeBell:

I don't know about all states, but here, you can not use fs for hot food.  

AmandaMaeBell
by on May. 18, 2012 at 11:22 AM

It's been a couple years since I applied and they told me that.  But things could have change in those couple years.  

Quoting windsails:

Quoting AmandaMaeBell:

In Kentucky, you can't get foodstamps if your homeless.  You have to have a physical address.  Yeah, they could use someone elses address, but they would have to lie and say they were living there.  Then, they would have to explain how they were paying their house bills.  

Quoting Anonymous:

In Cali if you are homeless or have no where to prepare your food you can buy fast food with foodstamps

i was going to say the same thing, many years ago i applied for food stamps and back then you had to have an actual physical address, not a PO box either, then you had to show proof of your rent/mortgage and other bills too before you were eligible, if a person is homeless obviously they have no way of storing and cooking food, so how would they limit and seperate the homeless from anyone else using fs? i feel that if you are NOT homeless and on fs then you should be buying your food from the grocery not from restaurants, of course there are always exceptions, but to keep everyone on a level playing ground it should not be allowed really, and i am from kentucky too btw, again this was 20 years ago that i applied, so maybe the rules have changed for eligibilty by now

Hilary799
by Gold Member on May. 18, 2012 at 11:22 AM
I agree...unless you're homeless obviously or older senior citizens. I couldn't pull it up so I don't know about Alabama. However I do know that here they announce it to the world they are using food stamps or tanf. No alcohol, cigarettes, or fast food. There's frozen pizzas on sale. Steaks every once in a while, chicken or seafood in grocery stores...who gives a shit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
demonicaangel
by on May. 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM

so your saying people who are poor don't deserve a treat now and again, and my kids should not get a sweet snack ever even for their birthday, holidays notta. i save some food stamps every month to be able to get a birthday cake for my kids, and treats for christmas, and easter. my kids are also picky about what kinds of food they will eat, you are telling my kids you have no choice you will eat what we are given, we can go back to unhealthy greasy canned meats and velveta and peanut butter you have to stir, and black and white boxes of mystry foods. i guess, just means i will spend cash on the food my kids will actually eat instead of i don't know soap, and cleaning supplies and deoderant. just like many people did back in the day.

the only way to attack the obesity issue is to stop allowing our government to poison us with things like HFCS that is in everything processed  we buy (even pancake mix which messed me up). and paying farms to use vast ammounts of herbicide, pesticide and fungicide which has no documented studies being done to show how they effect us when mixed. but independantg studies have shown possible correlations to things like obesity, cancer, sterilization, and a whole host of other medical problems. and teaching people how to make wholesome food from raw materials, like i know how to do and i teach people how to do. i also terach people how to do these things with a busy life. forcing tens of thousands of people to eat things they don't like is not going to fix the problem, education on budgeting,nutrition and food preperation will.

Quoting AmaliaD:

the system is so wacked we need to go back to square one.   i say dont give any money for food - give them healthy whole foods -  we choose for them - they have to come to pick up at the delivery site.   they can all have a huge bag of apples and potatoes and the gov should buy that food in bulk and not allow one drop of sugar or processing to create bloated costs and also attack the obesity issue by changing the system.  

demonicaangel
by on May. 18, 2012 at 11:29 AM

it's the same here in NY the way you get FS is you stay in a shelter, most of the time are just lots of cots in a big room, still no way to prepare food. but the shelter address counts as a physical address.

Quoting windsails:

Quoting AmandaMaeBell:

In Kentucky, you can't get foodstamps if your homeless.  You have to have a physical address.  Yeah, they could use someone elses address, but they would have to lie and say they were living there.  Then, they would have to explain how they were paying their house bills.  

Quoting Anonymous:

In Cali if you are homeless or have no where to prepare your food you can buy fast food with foodstamps

i was going to say the same thing, many years ago i applied for food stamps and back then you had to have an actual physical address, not a PO box either, then you had to show proof of your rent/mortgage and other bills too before you were eligible, if a person is homeless obviously they have no way of storing and cooking food, so how would they limit and seperate the homeless from anyone else using fs? i feel that if you are NOT homeless and on fs then you should be buying your food from the grocery not from restaurants, of course there are always exceptions, but to keep everyone on a level playing ground it should not be allowed really, and i am from kentucky too btw, again this was 20 years ago that i applied, so maybe the rules have changed for eligibilty by now

MommyofJustin
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2012 at 11:30 AM
Lol not here in texas
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 18, 2012 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree with op and pheobe81 my mil gets both and cash assistance should go towards her bills but instead she uses it for fast food and cigs all the time and begs her kids for the bill money when it gets crunch time she even has the audacity to buy food and then take it back to walmart cause its "the wrong kind" or has somethin wrong with it and gets either cash money or a walmart store credit cause our walmart is dumb and don't ask for receipts and obviously easily manipulated we have turned her in so much but she starts a woe is me story and gets away with it.... They should look closer into ppl who apply she does actually work but its under the table and only every now and then she's self employed and she lies about it to get money from everyone else
jesusismyfriend
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2012 at 11:47 AM

kfc is on the list for fla?  I know when I lived there the kfc in town would put their leftovers out at night for the homeless to get.  The only state that I knew of that are doing this is California.  They do it for the homeless and they have a special card.

kemmerer411
by on May. 18, 2012 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this
IDGAF what people buy or how hey pay for it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured