Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teachers Are Well Paid

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Next time a teacher wants to complain about money tell them this: "Deanna Jump, a kindergarten teacher from Georgia, has made $700,000 selling her lesson plans on Teachers Pay Teachers, an ecommerce startup where teachers offer their lesson plans to fellow educators."

Teachers need to stop complaining and figure out how to make it work.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 18, 2012 at 6:54 AM
Replies (101-110):
lordkanarven
by on May. 18, 2012 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I made more waiting tables then my aunt who has been a teacher for 25 years 

Quoting mommasbabies77:

I get more money waiting tables than my son's teacher assistants for his special needs class does. It's messed up that they don't get paid more. Teachers should be paid more.

Join me in Blues Mamas if you have a passion for music!
laranadtony
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting laranadtony:

I got pregnant and am staying with my child. But guess what I'm doing once Im ready? Going back to teaching, You claimed to know so much, but you only saw a little piece of being a teacher. Try year after year like your aunt then maybe we can talk.

She says they are underpaid too.

I saw a lot of being a teacher.I saw a teacher beaten beyond recognition.I saw kids steal a teacher's vehicle and crash it.I saw kids threatening principals and tearing up school property.

I chose to walk away.I chose to work in a profession where people showed their appreciation.

Don't sweat the petty things;Don't pet the sweaty things!

mewebb82
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2012 at 8:38 AM

She's not making that much as a teacher though. She's making that much from a side business. I wonder how many hours she puts in total between the 2 jobs? 

My mom is a teacher. She's retiring next month and is now making the most she's ever made.......28K. She puts in a good 60 hrs. per week with lesson plans and after school meetings. She also has always had to pay for a lot of classroom supplies out of pocket. The expenses have become more and more in recent years with budget cuts and less supplies being paid for by the district.  I would guess her actual salary is more like 22-24K after out of pocket expenses. Please tell me how that is well paid, especially after 30 years of teaching.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on May. 18, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Teachers should get paid waaaaaaayyyy more than they do because they have to deal with morons like you. 

Where did you get that information from?  Teachers are not likely to buy lesson plans on the internet. One reason is they can easily write their own damn lesson plans and secondly they really don't have extra money to be buying a lesson plan. Its not that hard to write a lesson plan if you have the training. Where is the link with the information?

two4one
by Platinum Member on May. 18, 2012 at 8:38 AM

soooo, because one teacher made $70,000 in one shot, all of them are rich. Okay then.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM
Quoting epoh:

Advice that one professor told me that I tell people looking to get into teaching. Remeber just because you get offered tenure doesn't mean that you have to take it. Make sure you love the district and admin as much as you love the kids you have to teach everyday. There are always options. Glad you picked a degree with choices.
laranadtony
by Ruby Member on May. 18, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I think that teachers ,police officers and soldiers are ALL way underpaid.They are not just doing a job,they are providing a basis for our future.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on May. 18, 2012 at 8:40 AM
A holder of a masters degree teaching high school in our district makes upwards of 75,000 where I live. The masters doesn't need to be in anything special, my ex had it in marketing and taught science. This was after 3 years teaching, not like 30. He also had amazing benefits, a full pension, and more vacation days then most dream of. He did some work outside school but not much. He taught in a basic middle class district, not someplace wealthy. Were we lived he made big money by our local economic standards. This was about 8 to 10 years ago and I know they all got raises the last couple contracts since.
I think it greatly depends on where you teacher, I know elementary teachers here make close to 69,000 a year, which here is still alot. I know my aunt makes way less then that but she is in flordia not here. But here our teachers are far from underpaid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 18, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Quoting laranadtony:

Why not a different school district?
miss_lisa
by on May. 18, 2012 at 8:40 AM

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=17071369

"We're not as bad as we thought," said Steve Kroes, president of the public policy group. "This shows us that we're pretty well competitive with these districts in the states around us."

Based on 2007-08 data, Utah's base salary for its lowest-paid teachers was $30,100, which was $5,000 higher than Montana and only $800 less than Idaho. Wyoming paid its new teachers the best, with a starting salary of $38,000 a year.

Utah's highest-paid teachers ranked sixth among Mountain States, at $48,400, beating out Montana by $6,000 and Arizona by $1,000.

That makes me sick. That's where my step mom teaches and she puts so much effort into those kids. They don't think that pay is that bad?? Good grief... and Montana is even worse! That's disgusting! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN