Since everyone on here has an opinion about everything, I have worked on a few of my own. So I am going to offer my knowledge to you, and hopefully avoid some confusion and embarassments.
Keep in mind, that the following apply as long as the child(ren) are well cared for-fed and clothed. PLEASE DO NOT PROCEED TO TELL ME HOW A CP YOU KNOW IS A HORRIBLE PARENT AND DOES NOT DESERVE CS. It is for the kids, remember?
- Child support is not a form of PA.
- It should not have to be earned. It is for the child, but children also use a home, utilities, food, clothing, etc.
- It is not money meant to be set aside for a college fund. It can be, but that is not its intended purpose.
- College funds CAN be created by NCP, if they want to help with those expenses as well as normal living expenses.
- Child support is usually ordered to help the CP with the costs of raising a child.
- NCP should pay CS because they are no longer helping with normal day to day costs.
- Past due child support is $$ that CP has already had to supplement for NCP, so it is all CP's. What they spend that on is no one else's business.
- Paying CS does not, in the least, mean that NCP is paying for all of the kids' expenses. In most cases, it is not even 1/2 of what the CP ends up spending.
Please, no bashing. I picked this up from another current post, and there was some very nasty exchange going on between the OP and a few other posters. It is totally uncalled for and immature.
I am adding a perfect example of my post, from the comments below:
My children were both grown and out of the house before I ever received any cs from my ex. It was a whole 50.00 a month. Give me a break. That didn't even pay for their lunches for a month. Oh I have two children. And back support is mine not to be spent on my grown children I've already raised them and paid for it all by myself. So that little 50. A month I get now is mine and if anyone thinks any different they can kiss my ass. Now I will say I usually spend it on my grandchildren but its still mine to spend as I see fit.
Current support: suppliments the expenses of having the child live with you as well as their basic needs.
Back support: since custodial parent paid for said expenses without the aid of the child's other parent, the back support can be spent as the custodial parent sees fit.
LOVE THY NEIGHBOR.