Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Beating the horse again.......welfare confession....

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM
  • 107 Replies

Poll

Question: I need welfare even though I:

Options:

Work full time

work part time

work, but am currently unemployed

haven't had a job yet, but have plans for one

never worked, no plans

just want to see results

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 142

View Results

Okay I admit, I'm prejudiced about welfare.   The only people that I've known who were on welfare were single moms who made having babies a paid (welfare) career.

After reading posts about people who work, but need welfare, I realized that there are distinctly separate groups of recipients.   Honestly, I don't see how people with low paying jobs could pay for even the bare necessities either.

So instead of bashing, this time I'd like to hear from the people who AREN'T abusing the system?  (And yes, I'm looking for people to make me feel better about welfare and SOME of the people on it)

FRAUDSTER Tommy Denic is now selling on Ebay under the username of " MyCreations123 ". He regularly changes names because he's a crook!
by on May. 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Xat
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 12:36 PM
2 moms liked this

We use to be on foodstamps but we aren't any longer. My husband lost his job and couldn't find one. I was working part time at the time. He now has a full time job and I still work part time and we are not receiving assistance any longer.

meganrst
by on May. 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this
This topic has been discussed numerous times... And why do you "need" people to make you feel better about welfare?? Yes, there are people out there who do abuse the system and that makes it look bad for everyone who truly needs help. But no one needs to make other people see that its ok to get the help they need

Just keep that in your head when being so against it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
triforcechick
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2012 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't, and haven't ever, received any kind of welfare. I am curious though to see what the results are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bearscubed
by on May. 23, 2012 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I use Medicaid to help out as far as other necessities are concerned. It is a lot easier to have my doctor's visits paid for and use the money we earn for our own expenses, as well as preparing for baby's future and expenses. We both work full-time, as well.

hatinnd
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Quoting meganrst:

This topic has been discussed numerous times... And why do you "need" people to make you feel better about welfare?? Yes, there are people out there who do abuse the system and that makes it look bad for everyone who truly needs help. But no one needs to make other people see that its ok to get the help they need

Just keep that in your head when being so against it

If you aren't going to add to the conversion you're wasting my time, and yours!!  I'm sure you have better things to do??? ;)

FRAUDSTER Tommy Denic is now selling on Ebay under the username of " MyCreations123 ". He regularly changes names because he's a crook!
happinessforyou
by Gold Member on May. 23, 2012 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this

The people I know who get any kind of assistance can all work. Some choose not to and some desperately are trying to find work. So IDK how to answer you. Anyone else??? :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 23, 2012 at 12:45 PM
4 moms liked this
I am on just about every type of welfare.
TANF, food stamps, Medicaid, and after I get a job, child care.
I do not work, I am about to move in to public housing, so I am looking for a job with in walking distance of that.
I left an abusive husband last month so I am living in a shelter and working on my plan to get my life started.
littleacorn
by on May. 23, 2012 at 12:47 PM
1 mom liked this
We are on foodstamps. When we first got on them, I was working parttime even though I was supposed to be on bedrest for a pregnancy and my husband had just gotten severely injured at work and was off nearly a year (his doctor thought the should be off longer, but the company doctor disagreed so he had to go back to work or we'd lose his temporary disability money). When he went back to work, we still qualified for fs. A few months later, my anxiety and depression got severe enough that I couldn't even handle working part time. About a year after that, my husband was fired. That takes us up to about 7 months ago. He's been going to school full time and I do some WAH stuff that I can work around my issues and am considering starting a full-on business doing edible landscaping. With my gardening and other hmesteading knowledge/skils, if I had an acre of land, I could grow all of our own food and we wouldn't need any assistance, but we live in a trailer park so even using what little land I have very effectly, I can't grow everything for the 6 of us.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MilfShake26
by on May. 23, 2012 at 12:48 PM
2 moms liked this
Good for you for leaving. I hope things get better soon.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am on just about every type of welfare.

TANF, food stamps, Medicaid, and after I get a job, child care.

I do not work, I am about to move in to public housing, so I am looking for a job with in walking distance of that.

I left an abusive husband last month so I am living in a shelter and working on my plan to get my life started.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 23, 2012 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this

We were getting off assistance and we only had medical and then hubby lost his job but, hes been working really hard to find another job we hate being on assistance but, if we didn't have it we couldn't pay rent and bills so I am thankful for it and we don't abuse it if we didn't need it we wouldn't be on it. I agreee some people abuse it but, there are those people who really do need it and we aren't having more children until we are off of it we only have one baby and we don't plan on more until we are financially able and not needing welfare anymore but, in this economy there are so many people on it and it's sad to see people who are not on it bash the ones who are. I mean GREAT you have the money to not need it! GREAT you have a great paying job! Why not be one of the ladies who says I understand why your on it instead of bashing others!  KARMAS A BITCH!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)