Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Body Space

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

I feel like my son (13 years old) has so knowledge of other peoples' personal space. How do I fix this?

His dad's family has no boundaries so that could be why or maybe he doesn't have any.  He is a work in progress, he needs lots of being told what to do or what not to do.

ETA: I have a huge body space so I don't understand.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 23, 2012 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 23, 2012 at 2:18 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 23, 2012 at 2:19 PM

bump if anyone can find this post with this new setup, grrr.

bearscubed
by on May. 23, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Since he's at a certain age to learn to respect other people's personal space, you should bring this up to him.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 23, 2012 at 2:21 PM
Examples of his behavior?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 23, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I have a male friend that comes over and he will sit super close to him. If I'm on the computer or someone else is he hovers so close you can feel him breath. Also, my friend was making something on the stove and he stands right next to him asks a million and a half questions and then starts leaning all over the stove forcing my friend to move.

He loves male interaction, he's kind of a macho kid but has a very soft heart, he has a crazy father and craves attention from males. He does this to females too though. He's also emotionally and verbally abused by his dad.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 23, 2012 at 2:39 PM
Tried counseling? Counselors can give lessons or sessions on social behaviors. You can too just look for lesson plans about body space. I use to tell students that I had an imaginary bubble around me that they shouldnt pop.

Quoting Anonymous:

I have a male friend that comes over and he will sit super close to him. If I'm on the computer or someone else is he hovers so close you can feel him breath. Also, my friend was making something on the stove and he stands right next to him asks a million and a half questions and then starts leaning all over the stove forcing my friend to move.

He loves male interaction, he's kind of a macho kid but has a very soft heart, he has a crazy father and craves attention from males. He does this to females too though. He's also emotionally and verbally abused by his dad.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 23, 2012 at 2:41 PM
http://pbiscompendium.ssd.k12.mo.us/ResourcesSchools/SSD/SocialSkills/activiti.htm

Respecting personal space.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 23, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I took him to counseling but after a couple sessions the counselor said he was 'fine'. I am having major problems with him in school now so he has to go to tutoring. I just learned in the state I live you have to get written permission from both parent for the child to attend counseling and I know my ex won't agree because of the stuff he does, so I'm effed.

I tried teaching him arm's length distance the other day, I'll have to work on this and see how it goes. I'll tell him about the bubble too, thanks!

Quoting Anonymous:

Tried counseling? Counselors can give lessons or sessions on social behaviors. You can too just look for lesson plans about body space. I use to tell students that I had an imaginary bubble around me that they shouldnt pop.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN