Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
What is your take on someone that is mentally retarded procreating? My cousin has a friend that is mentally retarded and can't take care of herself fully. She was doing a workshop thing with other people that are mentally retarded. She met a guy and they ended up having sex. She got pregnant. She didn't know she was pregnant till she was about 7 months along. A few months after this baby was born, she got pregnant again with baby number two. She can barely take care of herself. She is with the father of her children. His mom lives with them and she takes care of the two babies as well as them. What is your thought of people that are mentally retarded, have down syndrome, can't take care of them self having babies?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 23, 2012 at 5:48 PM
Replies (171-180):
emhain
by on May. 24, 2012 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

CJS702006- I find it highly interesting that you believe using the term "mentally retarded" is cruel, yet you are totally okay with forced sterilization...

IMAFUSWB- I was wondering if anyone else would realize that.

Quoting imafuswb:

It is an actual diagnosis and OP is using the term properly. There is nothing cruel or demeaning about it. What do you think the initials MR, MMR and such stand for anyway??

Quoting cjs702006:

"Mentally retarded" sounds so cruel! They are "challenged". Saying retarded is just demeaning to someone.

As for having children, unless the parents of the challenged woman have her sterilized, there is nothing stopping her from getting pregnant. At least there is someone in the family to help them out.

Jennyanne322
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Thank you for actually understanding what I am meaning by this post.

Quoting mom2bell:

I am sorry you have to repeatedly explain yourself here.  Some of these women see the word "retarded" and just flip out without realizing the content you are using it.  I find it to be perfectly acceptable!

Quoting Jennyanne322:

I NEVER called anyone retarted. I used the term mentally retarded. There is a huge difference. MR is a medical condition. I see it in patient charts all the time at work. And the school my son goes to has students that have MR as their reasoning for having an aid in the paper work.

Quoting Anonymous:

Saying Disability vs calling someone a retard is quiet different

Quoting Jennyanne322:

I dont know what your post was about this morning, but I am not calling anyone names or anything. I am asking a question about people that have disabilities and them having children.

Quoting Anonymous:

How is it this post has yet to be deleated yet mine from this morning saying the word cafemom in the title

Was deleated?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HouseMa
by on May. 24, 2012 at 2:11 PM

It's absolutely none of my business what other people do with their bodies.

If his mother has no problems looking after the babies and the people then why shit on their ability to do so?

I also think that I know several people with Down's that would make far better parents than those I know that don't have a mental impediment.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 24 on May. 24, 2012 at 2:14 PM
If they have someone who is helping them and the babies aren't special needs(adding more for gma) then there isn't anything you or anyone can do. They can't force her or him to get "fixed"

Now the grandmother can bring up the subject of birth control to the girl and her counselor to get extra help. But that's about it. Besides sneaking a birth control pill to her every day
HouseMa
by on May. 24, 2012 at 2:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Do you know anyone on welfare/WIC or any sort of state assistance?  Are YOU on state assistance.  If you answered yes to any or both, I guess you shouldn't have your kids and neither should those people you know.

There are lots of people that shouldn't have kids....

I'd be willing to bet that people with Down's or, at least some people with Down's, would make far better parents than your average welfare parent who uses the system to avoid working to pay for their kid.

Quoting .ZombieGirl.:

I don't think anyone that can't care for their children physically, emotionally, and financially should have them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 25 on May. 24, 2012 at 2:17 PM
I seriously thought I was taught some where that people with down syndrome cant have kids?
.ZombieGirl.
by on May. 24, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I'm not on PA and never have been. I provide for my kids. I do know people on PA and I believe they shouldn't have their children for all kinds of reasons beside them being on Welfare.

I know several people with down's and none of them were fit to be parents. 

Quoting HouseMa:

Do you know anyone on welfare/WIC or any sort of state assistance?  Are YOU on state assistance.  If you answered yes to any or both, I guess you shouldn't have your kids and neither should those people you know.

I'd be willing to bet that people with Down's or, at least some people with Down's, would make far better parents than your average welfare parent who uses the system to avoid working to pay for their kid.

Quoting .ZombieGirl.:

I don't think anyone that can't care for their children physically, emotionally, and financially should have them.

HouseMa
by on May. 24, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Both women and men with Down's syndrome can be fertile, although both sexes have a reduced fertility rate. They therefore need advice on, and access to, contraception. People with Down's syndrome need careful and sensitive advice about having children, as there are a number of issues to consider. Some people with learning disabilities can successfully parent their children, given the right support. However, many couples with learning disabilities decide for themselves not to have children because of the responsibility and hard work involved, or for financial reasons. Where one parent has Down's syndrome, there is a 35% to 50% chance that the child would inherit the syndrome. This chance is even higher where both parents have Down's syndrome. There is also a high chance that pregnancy would end in miscarriage. Women with Down's syndrome are also more likely than other women to have a premature baby, or to need a caesarian section.

Quoting Anonymous:

I seriously thought I was taught some where that people with down syndrome cant have kids?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 26 on May. 24, 2012 at 2:22 PM
That is actually the clinical terminology used.

Quoting Anonymous:

Well clearly since they are not perfect like you they shouldn't be breeding,  also the word "retarded" is offensive!

HouseMa
by on May. 24, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Do you also realize that, like Cerebral Palsy, Epilepsy and Cancer, Down's has varying degrees of severity?  There are people that have high functioning Down's and then there are people who need help bathing, eating, going to the bathroom and getting dressed.

There are people with Down's that drive, work in mainstream places, volunteer, have hobbies and they are some of the most funniest and warm heated people I've ever met.

Quoting .ZombieGirl.:

I'm not on PA and never have been. I provide for my kids. I do know people on PA and I believe they shouldn't have their children for all kinds of reasons beside them being on Welfare.

I know several people with down's and none of them were fit to be parents. 

Quoting HouseMa:

Quoting .ZombieGirl.:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)