Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Thinking about offering to get my 18 year old an apartment

Posted by on May. 23, 2012 at 7:04 PM
  • 11 Replies
I found out my ex is getting stationed in Korea in October. He wants to take the almost 17 year old with him because he is hoping a new environment may help him.

As of right now, my 18 year old son is saying he wants to go to Korea. I kind of feel he needs to stay and get his adult life started. I am thinking about enticing him with an apartment. In a way, I feel guilty because I know it is pretty much a bribe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 23, 2012 at 7:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2ljh
by on May. 23, 2012 at 7:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Totally a bribe. I think it'd be good for him to go to Korea for a bit. What an opportunity to see other cultures. I definitely understand not wanting him to go though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
i.love.my.life
by Arika on May. 23, 2012 at 7:06 PM
I agree. Let him live a little and see life before he actually has to be mature and responsible.

Quoting mom2ljh:

Totally a bribe. I think it'd be good for him to go to Korea for a bit. What an opportunity to see other cultures. I definitely understand not wanting him to go though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TrouserMouse
by on May. 23, 2012 at 7:08 PM
I do want him to get that experience, but I am feeling kind of selfish. I think it will be 3 years, but I didn't find that out. : (

Quoting mom2ljh:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chickensmommy
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 7:10 PM
I think Korea would be great for him! Can he do any schooling on base?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 23, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Is he capable of living on his own? Who will help him if he has a breakdown of some sort?Would he be better off with someone who could supervise him a bit? What are the list of pro's if you pay for him to have an apartment? Is he working? Will you be paying all of his bills? Just trying to help you to think this through more.

TrouserMouse
by on May. 23, 2012 at 7:18 PM
I am not sure. He is doing online high school. He still has a few more credits to get. After that, I am not sure what he wants to do.

In the town I am in, he would get a tuition discount at the local University because I am an alumnus.

Quoting chickensmommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chickensmommy
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 7:20 PM
He could go for less than 3 yrs... Maybe he could have the best of both! Then go to school!

Quoting TrouserMouse:

I am not sure. He is doing online high school. He still has a few more credits to get. After that, I am not sure what he wants to do.

In the town I am in, he would get a tuition discount at the local University because I am an alumnus.

Quoting chickensmommy:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on May. 23, 2012 at 7:20 PM
How will getting him an apartment achieve your goal for him? Sounds counter productive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfbitebug
by on May. 23, 2012 at 7:21 PM
Since when are bribes not effective tools?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SiriSilasMom
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 7:21 PM

He can't start a life in Korea?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)