Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moms with twins

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 14 Replies

Do you have two cribs? Did you always have two cribs? I have heard some say it's best for newborn twin's to sleep together in the crib for a while. Did your twins sleep in one crib? If so, at what age did you seperate them? (if you did seperate them) I'm expecting twins, but I'm only 3 months along and I'm not really sure what to do for their sleeping situation. My friend told me I should just get one crib and it would be nice to only have to buy one, but I don't want them to be cramped as they get older either.. I have seen cribs that are connected also for twins, but I'm not really sure how much they are. So anyways how where your sleeping arrangements with your twins? Also bedsharing is not an option for me..

Posted by Anonymous on May. 24, 2012 at 11:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GabrielRiley
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2012 at 11:58 PM
Bump. No twins for me, but I'll bump you
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Virg2329
by on May. 25, 2012 at 12:10 AM
I had twins and they slept in the same crib until they were almost 1 yo. I tried separating them, but it didn't quite work out. They wouldn't sleep right. Idk it's hard to explain lol. Good luck :))
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angel0228
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2012 at 2:21 AM
I have twins and they've always slept together once the got to big for the same crib I bought an oversized playpen and they sleep just fine. I kind of wish now that I would of seperated them due not being able to now that their one... they're used to being next to each other and now its hard lol. When one wakes up she wakes up the other so instead of just one screamin baby they both wake up screaming lol. Maybe buy two cribs and put them side by side that's my next move lol. Good luck twins are fun hard work but so much fun.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
runninro
by on May. 25, 2012 at 8:38 AM
2 moms liked this

I have twins.  They're 13 yrs old now, they are identical boys. I had them in seperate cribs (but next to each other not like across the room) and seperate beds but same room until now.  They went into toddler beds at 18 months (because they were awesome escape artists--cribs, locked doors, carseats  you name  it they escaped from it) and it was a dream.  They didn't fight it or anything.  If only my singletons were so easy!  We just recently seperated them into each has their own room. My boys were NEVER on the same schedule so sleeping together was not going to work much.  However during naps they would be in the same play pen (if they happened to fall asleep at the same time---rare occassions).  One interesting thing with my boys even up until recently before we moved them into their own rooms.  They fight all day.  Always have.  Even in utero they beat the crap out of each other HOWEVER when they would sleep...we always found them either spooning each other or holding each other's hand or touching in some way.  But as soon as they woke up...fists flying, sibling annoying etc.  As they got older they would end up on the floor together cuddled up.  They never would go into each other's bed...they would find a "neutral" spot and camp out there.  So depends on the personalities.  I say try the one crib for now and see.   Because yeah the other tough part is that when one wakes up they'll want to wake up their twin and then you gotta mess on your hands.  But then sometimes one can't sleep without the other.  It's a tough call.  Not universal amongst twins.  It's gonna be a wait and see what works for you and them.  Good luck!  The first 10 years are crazy then for some reason they hit that magical age of 10 and it suddenly becomes pretty easy.  I dunno...just does.

triplets0718
by Member on May. 25, 2012 at 8:39 AM

I have triplets, (they are 8 almost 9 now) but when they were babies they slept in the same crib for about 21/2-3mos. They slept better apart. They were all in the same room, but could see and hear each other. I live in a 2 story, so at 1st I had one of the crib sdownstairs for naps. It worked great that way! They didn't get seperate bedrooms until they were 4, my boys share a room and dd has her own.

mommythree0508
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2012 at 8:42 AM
I have twins. They never slept well together. Two cribs was a good investment for us especially once they were big enough to move around. I highly advise it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 25, 2012 at 8:44 AM

I have triplets and they all slept in separate cribs from day one.  

doublesweetness
by on May. 25, 2012 at 8:50 AM

When my girls came home from the NICU, we let them sleep together for about a month in the bassinet part of a playpen. They would always end up holding hands or kissing. Haha. After that, we moved them to separate bassinets and then separate cribs (always in the same room). You can get by with only buying one crib for maybe 6 months, but after that you're probably going to need two.

Mine will be 7 now, and they still love sharing a room.

mommy2b39465
by on May. 25, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I do, and have always had 2. They are mini-cribs, so that they would fit in the room well. The ones I got are convertibles just like regular cribs, only instead of turning into a full sized bed they turn into single sized beds. I figured they'd be fine, lol. 

They do say that it's best for twins to sleep together, however one of mine was in the NICU for a short while and one was with me, so they started sleeping separately right off the bat. When we got home and tried to put them in the same crib, they just woke each other up and were uncomfortable. 

One of the best things I got was something a NICU nurse friend recommended: Angelcare monitors, or some form of heartbeat monitors. With these, we had the boys in their own room before a month old. We found it better because in our room, we'd wake them up, they'd wake us up, and since they were in a little pack and play, every movement woke each other up too. I also would wake constantly to check on them. Once we got them in their own room with the monitors on, it was a big peace of mind, and allowed all of us to sleep better. 

mommy2b39465
by on May. 25, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Oh, by the way noticed you posted anon, so I couldn't friend you, but if you ever need someone to talk to about twin stuff, I'm here and always my usual motormouth....morortype?? !  :)

And, be sure to check out justmultiples.com, I didn't actually get much from it, but I love looking through the site and getting ideas, and I always have a personal wishlist going, lol. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)