Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

uh.....alrighty then...

Posted by   + Show Post

So my one cousin is expecting, and tells me that her doctor says she will have to have a c-section cuz the baby will be too big. Um, she's only 12 weeks...how in the world could they already know now that the baby will be too big for a vaginal birth?  She said the doctors "just know" the baby will be big and that her cervix won't open enough cuz it's missing the "stretchy stuff that makes the bones open"...Apparently I looked as dumbfounded as you might now, so she explained.  Did anyone else know that the cervix does not just open to let the baby out, it's real and main job is it gets bigger to push and hold the pelvic bones out of the way so the baby doesn't get bumped on them?   When I continued to just stare at her vacantly, she got all pissy, huffed " after having three kids, you'd think you would know this already" and walked away.....

blank starelol

by on May. 25, 2012 at 12:33 PM
Replies (11-19):
spanishblueyes
by on May. 25, 2012 at 1:01 PM

Hahaha. That wives tale makes me nuts. I did "know" what I was having with all my kids. I think it was just mama instinct idk. But it had nothing to do with how I carried. I carried the same with all three.

Quoting kranger:

HA HA HA, that totally made me laugh out loud. Someone I have known for a very long time tried to tell me when she first found out she was pregnant that she KNEW it was a girl. No question about it. (she has been obsessed for years about having a daughter) I asked her how she was so sure it was a girl....her response "by the way I'm carrying her". Hmmm ok, you dont even look pregnant, but I'm glad this early on you know how you are carrying her....she's on baby #2 - both boys so far.

I'd want to talk to this "doctor" ....by the way, how old is your cousin?

I'm still laughing.

L1558
by on May. 25, 2012 at 1:04 PM

She needs to get a second or third opinion. Oh, and don't let the recommendation for the next physician come from that doctor, who doesn't sound too brilliant. It's one thing to mention it as a possibility but at 12 weeks they wouldn't be able to confirm anything of the sort...my own doc told me that when I was pregnant.

If it's what the MOM wants-- fine. But if it's coming from the doc-- run.

sissyboogs
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2012 at 1:05 PM

At 9 weeks with my son, my doctor told me there was no way I'd be able to deliver vaginally. He told me that I was too big, and my baby would be too big. My only option was a c-section. 

I ended up switching doctors and having a vaginal delivery. But, my point is it is very possible that her doctor DID tell her she would have to have a c-section. It happened with my first. I was naive and ignorant. If that doctor hadn't left the practice halfway through my pregnancy, I would have went along with a c-section simply because he said so. 

tecsabates
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM

It would sound plausible that a dr said it if weren't for the reason and explanation she gave.  No real doctor is going to tell you your cervix only job is to hold your bones open......

Quoting sissyboogs:

At 9 weeks with my son, my doctor told me there was no way I'd be able to deliver vaginally. He told me that I was too big, and my baby would be too big. My only option was a c-section. 

I ended up switching doctors and having a vaginal delivery. But, my point is it is very possible that her doctor DID tell her she would have to have a c-section. It happened with my first. I was naive and ignorant. If that doctor hadn't left the practice halfway through my pregnancy, I would have went along with a c-section simply because he said so. 

aj1975
by on May. 25, 2012 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I think her doctor probably DIDN'T tell her that.

She probably is scared about a vaginal birth or she's one of those weird women who 'want' a c-section because 'my vagina will never be the same and my boyfriend will leave me!'

So, she's HOPING that ignorant people will believe it's her 'valid and respected doctor who went to school for this' opinion that her baby will be Andre the Giant and she should def have a c-section.

Her doctor didn't say this.

She made it up so she could have a weak, very weak, excuse as to why she doesn't want a baby sliding out of her twat.

She's a twat.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 25, 2012 at 1:08 PM

There's no way to be completely accurate when determining what size a baby will be. They can make a good guestimate, but it's in no way 100%. Especially at 12 weeks, unless she has diabetes which would cause a heavy baby. My doctor told me he guessed my son would be about 8 pounds, umm he was 4. Way off doc.

Nursesummer
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2012 at 1:09 PM
3 moms liked this
Hopefully her cervix will stretch until it wraps around her mouth and shut it up!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tecsabates
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2012 at 1:13 PM

haha yep  With all three of mine I was told they would be well over 8 lbs....they were 6lb12oz, 6lb1oz, and 5lb7oz   lol

Quoting Anonymous:

There's no way to be completely accurate when determining what size a baby will be. They can make a good guestimate, but it's in no way 100%. Especially at 12 weeks, unless she has diabetes which would cause a heavy baby. My doctor told me he guessed my son would be about 8 pounds, umm he was 4. Way off doc.

Scarlette12
by on May. 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

That will be my face there... I'm 19 and I know that's total bullshit

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN