Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When do you ditch the baby monitor?

Posted by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM
  • 454 Replies
3 moms liked this

My son is three and we still use it every night. 

I have no plans of retiring it.  I dont think ill get rid of it until he is old enough to masturbate, I dont wanna hear that. 

I like having it because I can hear if he isn't sleeping, if he is playing, or idk lets get off my sanity for a second and say if a baby thief broke in through his window, id be able to hear him say, "MOMMY!".  I like to be able to hear everything that goes on in his room. 

Sometimes he wakes up and just says, "Mom, thirsty." or "Mom, Potty." in a very regular voice.  We taught him not to leave his room at night...so im able to respond to him at night through the monitor. 

I have heard mom's say they got rid of the monitor the moment their child became a toddler at 12 months.  I really don't know when most mom's ditch the monitor and im curious about it. 

So tell me your monitor stories & opinions please : )

by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2littledaisies
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2012 at 4:41 PM
20 moms liked this
I honestly never used mine. It ended up being a waste for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JaimieLynn8
by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:42 PM
We got rid of ours a little after he turned 2 when our youngest was born. It was hard at first but I just make sure to check on him a few times before I go to sleep. If he needs anything in the middle of the night he can leave his room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 25, 2012 at 4:43 PM
12 moms liked this

My son is 4 I am a very heavy sleeper he is across the house (small house) And so I still use it. The hubs thinks I am crazy but I really don't care. If I could have a camera and a microphone in there to tell him to lay the hell back down I totally would.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2012 at 4:44 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting 2littledaisies:

I honestly never used mine. It ended up being a waste for me.

Why is that?  Co sleeper?  Thin walls, slept right next to your room?  Super Sonic Hearing?  Super loud cry?  Fan of the cry it out method? Im curious. 

talktojonell
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2012 at 4:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Never. I still catch my kids doing stuff on them lol.

I have my original two from 1992. One in the basement and one in the family room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Never had one.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atyou
by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:46 PM
Op...my kids are 16 months and 3.5 years. I still use a moniter for both.

Bump for replies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2012 at 4:46 PM
15 moms liked this

Keep it around after you retire it. I once had a crazy friend (she was literally bipolar) spend the night. She was a Rastafarian and never, never, never would cut her hair (due to her religious beliefs). So my SO at the time and I hid the receiver of the baby monitor in the room she was sleeping in and held the transmitter and said things like, "Hadassahhhhhh....this is God. Shaaa....aaaa...aaaave your he....e....ead!". She came flying out of the room freaking out and we showed her the monitor. She laughed her ass off.

Good times, man. Good times.

Dinimon
by NoCookiesForYou on May. 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Not til he moves out. Lmbo jk
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
spicy_n_sweet
by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I never used one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)