Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

When do you ditch the baby monitor?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is three and we still use it every night. 

I have no plans of retiring it.  I dont think ill get rid of it until he is old enough to masturbate, I dont wanna hear that. 

I like having it because I can hear if he isn't sleeping, if he is playing, or idk lets get off my sanity for a second and say if a baby thief broke in through his window, id be able to hear him say, "MOMMY!".  I like to be able to hear everything that goes on in his room. 

Sometimes he wakes up and just says, "Mom, thirsty." or "Mom, Potty." in a very regular voice.  We taught him not to leave his room at night...so im able to respond to him at night through the monitor. 

I have heard mom's say they got rid of the monitor the moment their child became a toddler at 12 months.  I really don't know when most mom's ditch the monitor and im curious about it. 

So tell me your monitor stories & opinions please : )

by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Replies (31-40):
usmcwifey11
by Platinum Member on May. 25, 2012 at 4:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I still use one for my 3 year old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Cool, thanks

Quoting atyou:

Op...my kids are 16 months and 3.5 years. I still use a moniter for both.

Bump for replies!

P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Didn't need it. I co slept then moved to a studio and now she is three and is across the hall from me in my house.

Quoting Matriarch87:

how come?

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

Never had one.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BirdIsTheWord
by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I plan to use mine for a while. It's just so convenient. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 25, 2012 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Until we have a floor plan that allows me to hear him if he wakes up or he is old enough to safely come downstairs to get me if needed.

Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2012 at 4:57 PM
2 moms liked this

OMG THATS EVIL AND HILARIOUS AND I THINK I LOVE YOU! : )

Quoting Sanctimommy:

Keep it around after you retire it. I once had a crazy friend (she was literally bipolar) spend the night. She was a Rastafarian and never, never, never would cut her hair (due to her religious beliefs). So my SO at the time and I hid the receiver of the baby monitor in the room she was sleeping in and held the transmitter and said things like, "Hadassahhhhhh....this is God. Shaaa....aaaa...aaaave your he....e....ead!". She came flying out of the room freaking out and we showed her the monitor. She laughed her ass off.

Good times, man. Good times.

JaimieLynn8
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2012 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh you don't have to explain mama :) and I totally understand. We don't have a 2nd story and his bedroom is just across the hall. There are times I wish he'd stay in bed though lol.

Quoting Matriarch87:

Quoting JaimieLynn8:

We got rid of ours a little after he turned 2 when our youngest was born. It was hard at first but I just make sure to check on him a few times before I go to sleep. If he needs anything in the middle of the night he can leave his room.

See...*shame* we didn't really "TEACH" him not to leave his room per se, its a combination thing.  His room is at the top of a verrrry high stair case, as is our room.  When he got big enough, I told him he had to be very careful to not wander out of his room cause he could hurt himself on the stairs.  Im kinda in a haze as an adult when im sleepy, I cant imagine a toddler being very "with it" in the middle of the night.  But on top of that, I have always responded to him and ran into his room for every little thing, that I really don't think he realizes he can even get up out of bed in the middle of the night lol.  When we took the bars off his crib and converted it to a toddler bed.  I was soooo scared he would be running all over in the night and break his neck on those stairs...but he didn't, he absolutly refused to get out of bed without me....He will bawl for hours before getting out of bed himself.  I don't really know what thats all about...but I dont mind it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HisLove18
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2012 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I havent used them since he turned 1. his room is right next to mine and there is a door linking them together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Matriarch87
by Ruby Member on May. 25, 2012 at 4:57 PM

hows come?

Quoting spicy_n_sweet:

I never used one.

WFG2012
by on May. 25, 2012 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I still use one, she's 20 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)