Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm Planning to Use PA Soon...

Posted by   + Show Post

Yep. I'm going to take fewer hours at work, which will unfortunately mean I will need some PA. Why? Because I'm going back to school, baby! I'm so excited. I'm getting my degree in nursing!

For a while, I had a really decent job with really decent pay, which is why DH and I decided we would try for baby #2. Then, two days before my pregnancy test came back positive, i found out my store was closing and my job was going to be thrown out the window. All the careful planning, all the careful financial foresight, and we got screwed. I took a huge demotion, a huge pay cut, and now can barely scrape by. i've decided I want to get into a profession where I have the ultimate job security (like healthcare) and where I can provide a better future for my family. I know I'm going to have to get some PA to help out with a few things, and apply for grants, but I'm happy to know that when I'm through with school, I won't ever need PA again. I wish I didn't need help from the government, I wish I had gone to school a long time ago, but I unfortunately can't change the past, so instead I'm changing my future.  

I'm so excited!!!

by on May. 28, 2012 at 1:54 AM
Replies (11-20):
Sweet0.0Cheeks
by on May. 28, 2012 at 3:20 AM
She isntt taking less hours so she can get fs, she is taking less hours so dhe can go to school. Since she won't be making as much shell be on fs to help them out.

Quoting Anonymous:

My husband makes too much for us to get assistance. But we're stuck if we don't do something. We just got kicked off wic because dshs kicked us off because our taxes were $200 too much. Now I don't have health insurance(I got the 10 year iud when I did have it) and it is $60 a week to get on my husbands insurance. So I have to suck it up and risk the debt to go to school to be a nursing assistant. And I have to make sure I have a job within 6 weeks(I think) and start paying $160 a month for a few years.

So yeah. I am all for getting your education. Not to sure how I feel about trying to make less in order to sponge off the government(and tax payers like us) ...but I am torn...so go for it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laranadtony
by Ruby Member on May. 28, 2012 at 3:24 AM
2 moms liked this

Let's see.

Getting on PA to further your education to get a better job to be secure for the rest of your life...

Yep!You are who PA is for!This is the purpose of it!A stepping stone,not a path to follow for life!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 28, 2012 at 3:28 AM
I worked FT all through college w two kids. No assistance. It CAN be done. Hard work? Ooooh yes! But that's what happen when you choose college AFTER kids!
RedRozeMom
by on May. 28, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Right now there is a huge demand for qualified people in the healthcare field.  Good luck with you schooling.

Queen_Bree
by on May. 28, 2012 at 3:31 AM

Good for you! 

Ashgambit
by Gold Member on May. 28, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I worked FT all through college w two kids. No assistance. It CAN be done. Hard work? Ooooh yes! But that's what happen when you choose college AFTER kids!

Well you're just plain better than me huh? Good for you! I will be putting a lot of time and hard work in...cost of living vs how little we make makes us already qualify for PA, though we don't use it because we can manage to scrape by without it. Taking fewer hours will make it so we'd have to move to a one bedroom apartment with two kids if we don't try to get help from PA. Guess I'm selfish because I'm going to apply for grants, WIC and if I have to, food stamps. 

lalaboosh
by on May. 28, 2012 at 4:01 AM

That's a really good reason to be on PA. That's why we are. We'll we're on PA because of an unplanned pregnancy and the economy, but DH could have gone for working retail AND us being on PA forever until carpentry picked up again. We decided a better future was a good option, so he went to school for computer programming! We should be off in a year or two, I think!

truth.be.told
by on May. 28, 2012 at 4:12 AM
Technically she will still be paying taxes... she works and her SO works.

Quoting Anonymous:

My husband makes too much for us to get assistance. But we're stuck if we don't do something. We just got kicked off wic because dshs kicked us off because our taxes were $200 too much. Now I don't have health insurance(I got the 10 year iud when I did have it) and it is $60 a week to get on my husbands insurance. So I have to suck it up and risk the debt to go to school to be a nursing assistant. And I have to make sure I have a job within 6 weeks(I think) and start paying $160 a month for a few years.

So yeah. I am all for getting your education. Not to sure how I feel about trying to make less in order to sponge off the government(and tax payers like us) ...but I am torn...so go for it?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
champagne_rose
by on May. 28, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Congrats:)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 28, 2012 at 4:29 AM

I wish you would have planned better in your past too but what is done is done so go get a better future. Congrats. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)