Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm a SAHM who keeps a messy house

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm not lazy, but I have decided that's not what I want to put my energy into.  I spend a lot of time with my toddler.  I make many of our meals fresh daily, breakfast, lunch, dinner and his 3 snacks.  I exercise and I make time to sleep at least 7 hours a day.  What is messy?  It's relative.  When I watch Hoarders, I feel very neat, but if I go to my friend's homes where everything is dusted and mopped daily and everything is in their place I feel like a failure and like people must be grossed out by my house.  How is your house?

by on May. 28, 2012 at 1:37 PM
Replies (121-129):
cnash81
by on May. 29, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I always feel like my house is a mess, but others says it's pretty damn good for the fact that I have four kids.  Three of them are under the age of five.  There's always a few toys out, a few dishes in the sink, and a load of laundry or two that needs to be folded.  It's always "clean", but lived in. 

Alohawithspice
by on May. 29, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Messy houses are unacceptable. Dirt and clutter are unhealthy both physically and mentally. Your home should be a relaxing, safe haven. Not a cluttered mess. Also, as mothers, we are setting examples for our children. They learn from their parents how to keep up a home, be responsible for their home, and have respect for their home and their things. It's our job to show them how to take pride in where they live.

mrsbrand
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM
I just clean when dd is napping
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on May. 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM
I like having a clean home. One of my friends is always whining about how she just cleaned and how the house is a wreak. I have news for her, in order to have a clean house you have to actually get off of your ass and actually clean.

I have two boys ages 8 and 2. It's honestly not that hard to keep it clean.
notjstasocermom
by Emerald Member on May. 29, 2012 at 2:39 PM

I keep my house clean, my family deserves that. Honestly imo if you are a SAHM there really isn't an excuse for a messy home.

girl_incognito
by on May. 29, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Mine is very very neat

Yamasmamma
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I've been trying to spend more time cleaning, but it's pretty much a losing battle.  But, I think I'm going to give up. Here's why:  This is an excerpt from Parenting Magazine's web article - How to Baby proof your Sex Life

Stop cleaning!

Damn you, Martha Stewart! One of the reasons we have less time and energy for sex is because we let household minutiae and our kids' social calendars drain us. Lazy moms have more sex. They've got more energy for it. We can spend too much time creating the perfect Christmas card in July (with everyone dressed in matching reindeer sweaters for the photo) or organizing our cupboards by smallest-to-largest containers and neglect our relationships. We can get more concerned with the details than with keeping our marriages humming.

So we've concluded that dull women have immaculate lives. And really, who wants to be a dull woman? Given the choice between making a casserole and having sex, perhaps there are times when we could choose sex. We can't be a domestic diva in the kitchen and a lioness in the bedroom. We've learned that intimacy with our partners generally trumps a clean kitchen floor. So when it comes to housekeeping, go for the grade of "Gentlewoman's C." If you feel wiped out at the end of the day, try leaving the house in chaos and just sit beside your husband and watch TV or go take a bath. Because if you're already feeling tired, with each toy you pick up and T-shirt you fold, your annoyance with your husband will grow. By the time you get into bed, you'll want to kick him, not kiss him. A few times a month, be a slacker housewife. If your husband complains, tell him why. We've yet to hear of a man who would choose an immaculate bathroom over sex.

Nickcole23
by on Jun. 6, 2012 at 10:49 PM

This is my house right now. My ex was a clean freak and said it was the worst house he's ever seen.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WesAndNicksMom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 10:53 PM

What do you mean by you don't want to invest time in it?  I seriously clean for MAYBE 30 minutes after work  (wipe stuff down and vacuum) plus two deep cleans a week on my days off.  That's no time at all to keep things clean.  If you have rules that you enforce to keep it tidy you shouldn't need to spend much time on it at all on a daily basis.

ETA here's a picture of the living room right now (I vacuumed today and that's it, we have a white dog so we have to do it daily).  Please excuse the boyfriend playing Skyrim.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)