Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Baby showers (spinoff of another post)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 41 Replies
When you have a baby, do you feel its necessary for someone to throw a baby shower for you, or is doing it yourself weird or do you find it tacky?

When I started planning my baby shower my mom told me she was ashamed of le because I was planning it. My SIL really planned it, but I helped a bit and my mom said that, that was.something to be ashamed about I guess. My mother isn't a nice person and just like to bring people down, I no longer speak to her.

But is it tacky, or shameful, or weird or should other people just do it for you because that's the way the world works?
Posted by Anonymous on May. 30, 2012 at 2:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Angelanscalf89
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2012 at 2:48 AM
I dont think it really matters that being said I had a baby shower for both first one my aunt planned second one my mil. Reason for was cuz with ds it was df first kid
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
busymama777
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I think babyshowers are super important. A new life is worth celebrating. Plus new moms need so much stuff. I never had one because my family was embarrassed that I got pregnant out of wedlock at a young age but I wish I would have thrown myself one! I don't think there is anything wrong with throwing your own. If others want to, that's great. But if not, do it yourself!

Gracie-May
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2012 at 2:51 AM
I think it's just down to the person themselves. You don't HAVE to have one, it's not tacky or weird. I doubt I'll have one - I don't talk to any of my family except my sister who lives with me so there's no help there. My best friend is supporting her own children, so she won't be able to plan it. I'm not too bothered though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 30, 2012 at 2:53 AM
I think it's trashy when you expect a second one when you already had one from your first. Now I can see if let's say your first born was a boy and now you are having a girl ya, go ahead but if you had a boy and now Having another boy you don't need another shower...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snapple_180
by on May. 30, 2012 at 2:53 AM
I didn't have one for my first, and then my mom planned my 2nd one spent over $100 and only 5 ppl showed up! So i'm planning my last 1 with my fiance and hopefully everything will work out!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AnastasiaKorsh
by on May. 30, 2012 at 3:00 AM
My friend offered to throw one for me, but I pretty much threw it for myself.
Char-Bear
by Gold Member on May. 30, 2012 at 3:10 AM
1 mom liked this

My first baby a friend planned the shower, my second I planned it myself. Both of them were small as I have friends and family all over that live too far away to attend. I don't think it matters who throws it or if you have one for each child. It was never about the gifts, more the celebration of the new baby.

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2012 at 3:13 AM
1 mom liked this

doing it yourself is horribly rude and tacky, your mother was right to be ashamed...you do not throw a party for yeorself that is intended to get gifts at...if someone wants to throw one for you then that is fine

ExquisiteMomof2
by PHOTOGMOM on May. 30, 2012 at 3:16 AM
1 mom liked this
No matter what my family and hubbys family believe that all babies are blessings and unique thus they all are deserving of celebration.

I had a baby shower with my oldest son and with my 2nd son a diaper shower. The first one hosted by my mom and mil and the second by my mom (just at my house).

I don't think it should matter who does the hosting or where. All babies are special and deserve equal love, attention and celebration.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tressakim
by on May. 30, 2012 at 3:21 AM

You are not supposed to do your own baby shower.  Just on the basis of it's like saying, hey, come to my party, give me stuff.  It's the same with any shower.  It's only bad because it's like asking yourself, that's why others are supposed to throw it for you.  Though times are changing.  

As for just a party, not sure what to call it, a welcome baby party sort of thing, no gifts asked for, it'd be fine for you to do it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)