Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

need help pricing cakes for my Sil

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
My sil is having a huge 3 aNos bday party for her dd in a dancing hall and asked me to make the cake since ive sold her cakes b4 but never this many. She ordered eight individual tiers all different flavors( white, chocolate, strwberry, and tres leches) sizes one 6in., two 8in., two 10in., two 12in. , n one 14in. All whipped icing white with light yellow n green flowers. What should I asked for price? Supplies for cakes=$150 estimated
Posted by Anonymous on May. 30, 2012 at 7:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nikabear
by Gold Member on May. 30, 2012 at 7:26 AM
Plus add your time and labor for making the cakes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gaily.Daily
by on May. 30, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Figure out how many slices add up to $150 for the supplies and charge that amount then add two dollars to each slice for profit. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 30, 2012 at 7:40 AM
Bump
TaralynnStewart
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2012 at 7:41 AM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SnookiBoo
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I would only charge for supplies...remember, you'll be exposed and may get new orders from the party.

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2012 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this

My DH is a computer guy and there for a while, when he first started getting good at it, people we knew wanted service all the time.   Now, he will fix someone's computer sometimes without charging them, but we got to the point we charged because of how much spare time he would give.

That is not a small cake order, and I would charge something.   Even if it's just a flat $75-100 bucks over the cost of supplies.   I like the PP's advice of charging extra per slice.  if you want to give family a deal, then just do $1 extra per slice, and $2 for non-family when you make them for others.  

Quoting SnookiBoo:

I would only charge for supplies...remember, you'll be exposed and may get new orders from the party.

meliefrog
by on May. 30, 2012 at 8:12 AM
I charge $2 a slice. Family or not
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KBS-mom
by on May. 30, 2012 at 8:23 AM
2 moms liked this
$250 - $300. Just because they're family doesn't mean you have to do things for free. I'm a cosmetologist and in my business class we were advised not to do anything for free, because then people will try to take advantage. If you want to do it for a discounted price or even barter, fine, but don't get into the habit of free. I'm sure your work deserves some compensation. =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hip2it
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I just ordered this cake for $561.  It was something like 4.25 a slice because of the piping (piping was an additional .25 a slice).  The black around the bottom is a ribbon.

In this area, a basic tiered cake (not fondant) is $4 a slice.  Flowers are usually $1 each if out of normal frosting, fondant is $2-4.

haleyleedy
by on May. 30, 2012 at 9:11 AM
For family I would charge the price of supplies plus 100 dollars
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN