Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A lot of men enter the military, not to be noble, but because they couldn't cut it in the real world.

Posted by   + Show Post

thoughts on that statement?

by on May. 30, 2012 at 3:29 PM
Replies (231-240):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this

And that is so true. Well put.

Thats basically how it was for us during peacetime. Just looking busy...find stuff to do so the 1st Sgt doesnt see ya sitting around bs-ing... absolutely right. Its a job, and not a deadly one unless your in a battle zone. At home... as dangerous as any other job. The commute to/from work is more deadly than what your doing once your get there all day. Thats not a dig from me, its just the truth. People need to stop thinking its all Rambo and Cpt America comic books action and guts and glory...cuz its not.  The media hypes things up and only shows a certain truth. 95% is actually very uninteresting. And there's alot of politics, as well. Being in the military was a great experience for growing up and getting a taste of the real world, but its was not heroic, noble and death defying. And the dependants really are just that...dependants. They don't rank each other or anything, just normal people that run errands and do stuff like everyone else.

Quoting Anonymous:

I am a Military wife and this reply just rubbed my the wrong way. Your husband joined up to get away from his small town and the stupid that followed him, not to serve his country. He used the Military to "get away", so in other words her statement kinda fits your husband. And please, stop with this " my husband serves so you can post crap". It is really getting OLD.I wish other Military wives would just chill and not get so offended. NOT everyone likes the Military. At the end of the day, the Military is just a job. These men and woman are not putting their lives on the line 24/7. Yes, they are WHEN deployed. When at home, not so much. You know what my husband as been doing the last 3 months he has been back from his 12 month deployment? Picking weeds, yup, picking weeds out of the cracks of the side walks. Why? Because his sergeant doesn't have SHIT for them to do!

I guess, I am a different kind of wife. I don't play the card(s) "well my husband has to leave  months at a time and leaves me alone, blah blah blah.." He joined up knowing what he was going to be doing. I married him knowing that I would be left alone for months to years at a time. Deployments/field days/training/ no longer bother or upset me. I so wish other wives would stop using those cards. " aww feel sorry for me because my spouse has to leave". it gets so old.

daiseymae2
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:41 AM
2 moms liked this

After meeting some of the guys my DH works with, I would have to say there is truth to that statement. I wouldn't say "a lot". I would say "some". My DH joined later in life. He ran out of money for school, and he was tired of working a dead end job. He wanted to do something that mattered. He wanted to be able to provide for us and finish his education. He joined for several reasons. He is a hard worker and loves his family and his country. The guys he works with....yeah. Most of the single guys and a few of the married ones are lazy worthless drunks who somehow get away with everything. They have zero respect for authority, their job, or even women. They are not what I used to think of when I thought of military. It's disgusting how so many of the soldiers (men AND women) behave here. 

hellomilla
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:50 AM
My husband has always wanted to join but wanted to get a family started first in case anything were to happen. Now that we have a daughter, he is set to start basic this fall. I think a lot of people join because the military can provide for their family, pay for their college, provide insurance, and they dont fit in anywhere else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TasteOfCollapse
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:59 AM
I knew a guy who joined so they can pay for his college. He's been deployed too and told me crazy stories..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sjk110402
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Yes, he did join to get away from a place that had nothing to offer him, with that said, he bettered himself in the navy and became the man that he wouldnt have become if he hadn't joined the navy.  My husband sacrificed time away from his family and our young children so everyone can have their freedom.  We are so incredibly proud of our military, the military is not for everyone and I get that, but for us, it is our way of life and we wouldnt change it for anything.  My husband is not always gone and yes, sometimes he is just doing stupid crap that isnt really "protecting our freedoms" but when push comes to shove, he will be there and he will do his job, whatever that job may be.  I knew when I married my husband that I would be on my own most of the time and thats ok with me because I know that my husband is doing his job.

Oh and seriously...you are posting anonymous?????

Quoting Anonymous:

eye rolling

I am a Military wife and this reply just rubbed my the wrong way. Your husband joined up to get away from his small town and the stupid that followed him, not to serve his country. He used the Military to "get away", so in other words her statement kinda fits your husband. And please, stop with this " my husband serves so you can post crap". It is really getting OLD.I wish other Military wives would just chill and not get so offended. NOT everyone likes the Military. At the end of the day, the Military is just a job. These men and woman are not putting their lives on the line 24/7. Yes, they are WHEN deployed. When at home, not so much. You know what my husband as been doing the last 3 months he has been back from his 12 month deployment? Picking weeds, yup, picking weeds out of the cracks of the side walks. Why? Because his sergeant doesn't have SHIT for them to do!

I guess, I am a different kind of wife. I don't play the card(s) "well my husband has to leave  months at a time and leaves me alone, blah blah blah.." He joined up knowing what he was going to be doing. I married him knowing that I would be left alone for months to years at a time. Deployments/field days/training/ no longer bother or upset me. I so wish other wives would stop using those cards. " aww feel sorry for me because my spouse has to leave". it gets so old.

Quoting sjk110402:

I think u are a fucking idiot!!  My husband joined the navy so he could get out of the shit hole town he was in and to get away from the stupid that seemed to follow him.  He is a very smart man who risked his life for u and your stupid right to post dumbass posts like this one!!  You need to be recruited and be away from your family for 6+ months every year before you put stupid shit like this on cafe mom.  How dare all of the women who degrade our military with their posts about how only slow people join the military and how only cowards join or slackers join.  Some people actually want to join the military because they see honor and pride and a sense of loyalty to all the military personell who came before them to secure their freedoms so they can choose whether or not to join, instead of being told.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 26 on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:26 AM
1 mom liked this

This statement is getting old and fast! You know, my husband does the same, but I don't set on my ass preaching about it to everyone. Really, if people want to really look at it, the Soldiers keep the war "away" from America. The government give and takes away our freedoms. Our soldiers fight to keep the battle overseas and not in America. To be honest, if you really LOOK at it, we are not ALL that free. For GOD sake, men can't marry men and women can't marry woman, but yet we say we are FREE to do as what want? Yeah, not! We are free to believe in GOD or not and to walk down the street and get jobs, but everything else isn't really free.

My husband who is a Soldier is also getting sick of wives using this statement. It is a job, ANYONE who has a JOB sacrifices time away from their families. I know, because my mother was a single mother was ALWAYS working. I hardly EVER saw her. Some soldiers are only gone 3-6 months and some are gone 12-15 month. But to glorify it, it is really getting old.

Yes, I am posting anon, because I don't want crazy woman pming me. TOO MANY stalkers! Got a problem with it????? Or is that all you have to fall back on, becaues I pretty much call you on out your statment and how old it is getting. I know I am NOT the only one who is tired of hearing the same old statments!

Quoting sjk110402:

Yes, he did join to get away from a place that had nothing to offer him, with that said, he bettered himself in the navy and became the man that he wouldnt have become if he hadn't joined the navy.  My husband sacrificed time away from his family and our young children so everyone can have their freedom.  We are so incredibly proud of our military, the military is not for everyone and I get that, but for us, it is our way of life and we wouldnt change it for anything.  My husband is not always gone and yes, sometimes he is just doing stupid crap that isnt really "protecting our freedoms" but when push comes to shove, he will be there and he will do his job, whatever that job may be.  I knew when I married my husband that I would be on my own most of the time and thats ok with me because I know that my husband is doing his job.

Quoting Anonymous:

eye rolling

Quoting sjk110402:

I think u are a fucking idiot!!  My husband joined the navy so he could get out of the shit hole town he was in and to get away from the stupid that seemed to follow him.  He is a very smart man who risked his life for u and your stupid right to post dumbass posts like this one!!  You need to be recruited and be away from your family for 6+ months every year before you put stupid shit like this on cafe mom.  How dare all of the women who degrade our military with their posts about how only slow people join the military and how only cowards join or slackers join.  Some people actually want to join the military because they see honor and pride and a sense of loyalty to all the military personell who came before them to secure their freedoms so they can choose whether or not to join, instead of being told.

conweis
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:33 AM

This is true. I was going to join the army cause I really didn't know where I was going in life. I was smart but poor and my mom was kicking me out as soon as I graduated high school.

But regardless why someone joins as long as they do a good job and wear their uniform with pride why does it matter?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 27 on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I think that statement is stupid and proves that most don't know shit about the military.  Its not as if the military allows just anyone. There are tests you have to pass to even get in and then you have to get through boot camp and go to school to learn your specific job, if you can't cut it they can kick you out for it. So this kind of statement just doesn't fly because its not true. If you can't cut in the civilian world then there is a high chance you aren't going to be able to cut it in the military because they expect more.

I couldnt agree more anonymous!! My father was in the navy for 22 years and grewup in an army/airforce town!! Military life is real life, so to suggest that the majority cant cut in the "real world" is insensitive to those who have trainded night and day to protect your right to slander them!!!! They are often gone months at a time only to come home and be gone again shorltly there after. They go on missions that vary from battle to good works. I known soldiers who died in wars that had great talent that could have been used else where. They encounter danger that we cant imagine. My father once got attacked my a native african warrior with a huge tribal spear. I am not suppose to know about that one but I do. A friend of mine was bit by a scorpion .in Honduras while on a clean up mission after an earthquake. Another friend of mine was killed in Panama. He was one of two who died to help others.  Some people in our military had to come from combat to rejection and hippies spitting on them!!! My mother once had a hippy spit on her because she was with my father while he was a navy uniform! Our military do alot for our country so while replying to this post please remember they defend to the death!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 27 on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

it works for people that dont know what they want to do in life yet. They get a 4-year job and that time to think about what they want to do with themselves. Those guys and girls aren't joining to be noble, they are joining to have a steady paycheck and get out of their parent's influence.

I HAVE KNOWN SOME WHO DO FIT THAT CATEGORY BUT MOST HAVE A DESIRE TO SERVE THIER COUNTRY!!!

LeahJ
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:11 AM
2 moms liked this
Gee.....my husband is away from his family his lot and misses things for work too. Where's our medal?

I absolutely support our military and especially the young families. I cannot imagine what some of those mommas go through. But please. Playing the poor pity me thing all the time REALLY detracts from the sacrifices families make, especially those doing it with dignity. Suck it up, buttercup. You signed on too.

Quoting sjk110402:

Quoting Anonymous:

eye rolling

Quoting sjk110402:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)