Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I Being Selfish? I Don't Think I Am!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 2 Replies

I have a neighbor who has a child the same age as my DS. We share a garage as we live in a duplex.

I have no problem with her LO playing with my son's toys that we keep in the garage, and vice versa.

However, I DO have a problem when they do not put them back or take proper care of them.

For instance, my neighbor filled my son's pool up and let her LO go swimming. Fine, I do not care. BUT, she did not empty the pool and she did not put it back. It is a plastic pool and hard to empty, but her BF could have easily lifted it and poured out the water. It sat out back for half the day and overnight without them using it again before I had my brother help me empty it since I cannot tip it myself.

Same with other toys..they get them out, but do not put them back.

Now, I recently got my son a picnic table. It was used and I got it for free so in all honesty I do not care if it gets ruined. But that does not mean I want my neighbor to use it and leave food on it without wiping the food off. Which she did, more than once.

Now, I have put my son's pool in the basement and his picnic table there too. I have told her before, I do not care if you use them, but please put them back or clean them up if you make a mess. She says OK but does not do it. If my son uses one of her LO's toys, I put it back.

My mom thinks I am being selfish not leaving the picnic table or pool out there. Everything else you can't really make a mess on or fill with water so I left those in the garage, just moved my picnic table and pool downstairs. I should not have to empty the pool or clean up a mess when my child did not use them.

She isn't a very clean person in general, her house is dirty and so is her car (like food everywhere-things not picked up, crayons all over the wall, dirty dishes, etc) She says her BF does not help and she can't do it all herself. But that should not stop her from emptying a pool or wiping off a picnic table.

Posted by Anonymous on May. 30, 2012 at 9:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
anon1986East
by Kali on May. 30, 2012 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd have done the same as you. What exactly can't she do without her boyfriend? Oh right, pick up after herself like an adult. I don't mind the neighborhood kids playing in my yard and sharing my kid's toys but when they leave the toys left out all over the yard or break something that is the end of it. Last summer I bought a decent sized pool, it was around $400, so nothing fancy but still I liked it and it was fun. It was ruined by the end of summer because of the neighborhood kids. Now I'm more motivated to fix our below ground pool so the damn kids can't ruin it.

rgba
by Ruby Member on May. 30, 2012 at 11:10 PM
You are liable if your pool gets left out and someone gets hurt. You are not being selfish
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured