Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Don't shorten my kid's name!"

Posted by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:23 AM
  • 537 Replies
1 mom liked this

For instance, if you have a Gabrielle, you might call her Gabby. My daughter's name is Caroline, but we're going to call her Carly. Now as a parent, that is entirely your decision.

But have you ever encountered someone shotening your child's name even though they go by their full name?

A friend of mine's daughter's name is Madelyn. She calls her Madelyn, and she didn't realize it before she was born, but the name Mady makes her cringe. Everytime her daughter is introduced, she's introduced as Madelyn. However, a lot of people take it upon themselves to start calling her Mady. It drives her nuts!

I guess if a child was introduced to me as a certain name, I wouldn't go changing it unless I heard the parents or the child theirself call themselves by a different name. Maybe that's just me?

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
epoh
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2012 at 7:25 AM
8 moms liked this
My son is Elijah.

A lot of people call him Eli, though I've never called him that myself.

Idgaf if they shorten his name. It's a name. It doesn't matter.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gastromama2007
by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:27 AM
12 moms liked this
You're on a roll with these name posts, lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vannadahlia
by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Yeah you can't really shorten either of my sons names I don't think, Eithan&Aiden. Pretty simple names :D

AngryBob
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2012 at 7:27 AM
Ooh, I hate that. Eli is NOT a nickname for Elijah! It's a separate name! Dh and I argue about it all the time because I want to use the name Eli, but I hate Elijah. He wants to use the name Elijah, but hates Eli lol. It's our joke. We're purposely naming our kids so that there are no nicknames. I hate nicknames.

Quoting epoh:

My son is Elijah.

A lot of people call him Eli, though I've never called him that myself.

Idgaf if they shorten his name. It's a name. It doesn't matter.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 31, 2012 at 7:27 AM
It would piss me off. My dd is Kaitlin I spelled it that way so people wouldn't call her kat,lyn or kate
kybelle
by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:28 AM
2 moms liked this
My daughters name is Courtney. I sometimes call her Court for some reason her father hates it *shrugs* I don't really care she came outta me not him.
jmart18255
by Silver Member on May. 31, 2012 at 7:28 AM

i have a christopher and i can NOT stand when people call him chris. i think christopher just sounds so much better! but other than that i havent met anyone who insists that we do not shorten the name. i know a madison and everyone calls her maddy and i know an isabella whos parents intro duce her simply as just bella.

AngryBob
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2012 at 7:28 AM
1 mom liked this
Lol I was going to say that. But hey! her last one is like 800+ replies, gotta count for something, right?

Quoting Gastromama2007:

You're on a roll with these name posts, lol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AustinsMommy007
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think it would bother me. It's not a big deal and eventually she will be able to deide for herself what she wants to be called. My daughters name is Addison but Most people call her Addie
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 31, 2012 at 7:29 AM
Yup, I have a Jason and a James don't call Jason Jay or J and damn sure don't call James Jim or Jimmy.....I HATE THAT SIT.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)