Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

"Don't shorten my kid's name!"

Posted by   + Show Post

For instance, if you have a Gabrielle, you might call her Gabby. My daughter's name is Caroline, but we're going to call her Carly. Now as a parent, that is entirely your decision.

But have you ever encountered someone shotening your child's name even though they go by their full name?

A friend of mine's daughter's name is Madelyn. She calls her Madelyn, and she didn't realize it before she was born, but the name Mady makes her cringe. Everytime her daughter is introduced, she's introduced as Madelyn. However, a lot of people take it upon themselves to start calling her Mady. It drives her nuts!

I guess if a child was introduced to me as a certain name, I wouldn't go changing it unless I heard the parents or the child theirself call themselves by a different name. Maybe that's just me?

CafeMom Tickers
by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:23 AM
Replies (31-40):
carter210
by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:37 AM
I have a Mason and a Carter. No nicknames there. If we have a daughter her name would be Chloe and I would probably call her Chlo. I don't really think shortened names are that bad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngryBob
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2012 at 7:38 AM
Lol dh and his best friend have the same name, too. And one is two days older than the other.

Quoting shivasgirl:

my bff named her dd Madeline and hates Maddy, never called her that and no one else did until madeline hit high school...now every one calls her Maddy and Madeline herself likes it...My bff and I are both named Angela and we will both take a head off if we are called Angie

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine257
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2012 at 7:39 AM

It is just you I call my son Alexander and everyone calls him Alex it drives me insane. His name is Alexander! Even my sister does it. I don't know why people do that but it is really annoying.

AngryBob
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2012 at 7:40 AM
I know a kid named Ben. I once callee him Benjamin jokingly, and he very seriously informed me that his name was Ben, not short for anything. He's a great kid.
I've known a couple guys named Jonathan, and refuse to go by John or Jon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
L.a.u.r.a.
by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:40 AM
My daughter hates being called Abby, she is Abygail... She let's people know when she meets them (and if they slip up), her dance teacher is the only person who can't seem to remember to NOT call her Abby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IncognitoOne
by Ruby Member on May. 31, 2012 at 7:40 AM

What's funny, we shorten the boys names, but no one else does, lol. Yeah, we introduce them by their name, but we call them Colt (Colton), and Tate or Tater (Keaton). 

atyou
Got a thing about names....huh op?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mcr17

my daughter is aibreann (a-bree-yan), we shortened it to abby because people cant seem to EVER say her name correctly.

90% of the time they say her name using letters that arent even in her name-her old doctor used to call her Aubreanna!

eirejade
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2012 at 7:41 AM
Serena...her nickname is sissy
Travis...my mom shortens to Trav...I hate it
Vanessa...again my mom shortens it to vanny...I hate that too
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RhondaVeggie
by on May. 31, 2012 at 7:41 AM
My son's name is common and often shortened but I've yet to hear anyone shorten it. If they did I'd probably correct them because I don't really care for either of the nicknames.

I knew a Becky growing up who was actually christened Becky, not Rebecca. Her granny insisted on calling her Rebecca anyway because that's the 'proper' name. Drove her mom nuts.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)