Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just gave my son Benadryl so he can nap

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
He has been extremely fussy the past 3-4 days and he hasn't been sleeping good which makes him fussier so I just gave him baby Benadryl so he can take a nap and maybe sleep better tonight if he has a nap today. He won't let me put him down he screams when I do. I'm not trying to drug him to sleep I just need him on a schedule. He's so tired you can see it in his eyes. He's been up since 6am and its 3pm now and he hasn't napped he never will.
Eta: before you bash me for following dr's directions, what kind of chemicals are in the formula you pump into your babies? How about how you eat or drink caffeine when you're pregnant? I haven't had fast food or caffeine since the day I found out I was pregnant and I proudly breast feed my baby.

Update: he slept for 45 minutes, not hours on end. He woke up fine he wasn't even groggy and he's been fine since then. He just needed a little nap. Yea, it was rude of me to say anything about ff but I am doing my best to be a mother and I don't need everyone jumping down my throat. And before you say there's no such thing as infant Benadryl, check out their website. There is an infant Benadryl for 18-20 pounds and it's 3ml which is what I gave him. No, it will not be a daily thing. It was a one time thing for HIM NOT ME.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 31, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Replies (161-170):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on May. 31, 2012 at 4:40 PM
There IS a baby Benadryl. You can't get it OTC but the dr can write a rx for it

Quoting momoftwo0406:

umm I'm gonna call bull shit that your doctor gave it to you for a 7 month old because they don't recommend it for kids under 6 at all. They don't even have a dose for a child that young it would be like 1cc every 6-8 hours and I doubt that.

Try soft nature sounds or running water sounds. Let him lay down and fuss to sleep its better than drugging him.

marchantmom06
by on May. 31, 2012 at 4:40 PM
3 moms liked this

WARNING
NEVER give Benadryl or any other sedatives to infants under 1 year of age for sleep. Do not allow daycare providers to give sedatives to your infants.
From Dr sears
AGE LIMITS: For allergies, don't use under 1 year of age (Reason: it's a sedative). For colds, not recommended at any age (Reason: no proven benefits) and should be avoided if under 4 years old. Avoid multi-ingredient products in children under 6 years of age (Reason: FDA recommendations 10/2008).
From st. Louis children hospital

Benadryl (anithistamine)

Find your child's weight across the top row of the dosage table, read down the column to find the dosage for Benadryl
Adult dose is 50 mg
Repeat every 6-8 hours as needed
Do not use Benadryl for children less than a year old - it is a sedative
From PCA

Diphenhydramine is available in liquid form without a prescription, to use for hives and for itching with certain rashes. It can be given every 6 to 8 hours as needed. If your child is experiencing difficulty breathing, wheezing, tongue swelling, lip tingling, vomiting, or other signs of a serious allergic reaction, you can give them Benadryl, but you must go to the emergency department immediately. Do not administer diphenhydramine to an infant less than 1 year old.
From LICH PEDS

So all these groups of drs say DO NOT do it it yet you see nothing wrong with it?

Honestly if your doctor did tell you this then you should immediately look for another dr.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lalaboosh
by on May. 31, 2012 at 4:40 PM
Yeah, idk anything about it. I'm blessed with an allergy free kid. Lol! I just read something about food coloring and how it affects kids.

Quoting CrimsonGrace:

Not saying that isn't a possibility, but it is fairly common for antihistimine to hype kids up, especially before the age of 3.

Quoting lalaboosh:

That's interesting. I wonder if your DD got hyper from red dye? I read that can happen. Is kids benadryl pink?

Quoting Anonymous:

Put the kid in a crib and turn on an instrumental cd. No sense in "drugging" your child. My dd actually had to take Children's Benadryl a few months ago because she had an allergic reaction and it only made her hyper. And btw the only way it will make him sleepy is if it has alcohol in it and they don't make children's Benadryl with alcohol.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AllieReed
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Doctors do prescribe children's benedryl for babies by weight. My child had a horrible rash @ 7 months old & that's what I was told to give her. I think it's fine as long as you don't make it a habit.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on May. 31, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Mine ....5 girls & 2 boys

Grandkids.... 3 girls & 1 boy

Quoting Hilary799:

Wow kudos to you :) we are actually raising 6 16 1/2 - 5 1/2. how many boys and girls?

Quoting Sassy762:

Wow..... I have had 7 kids  and I'm now  raising 4 grandkids

Quoting Hilary799:

Yep and I've had 5

Quoting Sassy762:

For a 7 month old child?????

Quoting Hilary799:

Mine did

Quoting Sassy762:

Sorry....I don't believe this at all AND IF the doctor did tell you this, then  you need to find a new one...ASAP

Quoting Anonymous:

His dr said it was ok she even gave me the benadryl for him I feel bad about it so the last thing I need is to be bashed

Quoting -42-:

"I'm not trying to drug him to sleep....."

I believe that's what you just did.

brandoneaglemom
by Member on May. 31, 2012 at 4:42 PM
2 moms liked this

And sometimes first time mothers always listens to others and assuming its a good idea.....how bout whiskey on the gums? i know we have all heard of that one....and not long ago i was puttin gmy grandson on his belly and was frantically told NOOOO! only bc i didnt know. times have changed and the things we used to do with our child we dont do anymore....insteadof bashing one another how about giving her good motherly advice....thats what were here for...cafemom sisters must turn to each other when in need, so lets encourage her to do the right thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on May. 31, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Well I only had to give it to her once for an allergic reaction and she is still alive thank goodness!!

And it's a good thing they do make sugar free for the diabetic patients. So be it a few more chemicals, it can be life saving!

Quoting Anonymous:

"sugar free" is code wording for "full of synthetic chemicals" (not to mention artificial dye and whatever other CRAP it contains)

Quoting Anonymous:

Mine is purple. It's alcohol and sugar free. children's Benadryl-D

Quoting lalaboosh:

That's interesting. I wonder if your DD got hyper from red dye? I read that can happen. Is kids benadryl pink?

Quoting Anonymous:

Put the kid in a crib and turn on an instrumental cd. No sense in "drugging" your child. My dd actually had to take Children's Benadryl a few months ago because she had an allergic reaction and it only made her hyper. And btw the only way it will make him sleepy is if it has alcohol in it and they don't make children's Benadryl with alcohol.

Hilary799
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 4:42 PM
That's bullshit some do! Wtf ever I'm perfectly happy with my ped. What are you gonna do call CPS? Go ahead...my kids are perfectly healthy and happy.

Quoting momoftwo0406:

Then you need a new doctor because no pediatric doctor in their right mind would there is no way to even break down the dosage it would be like 1cc and its not even recommended for kids under 6.

Quoting Hilary799:

Yep and I've had 5

Quoting Sassy762:

Quoting Hilary799:

Mine did

Quoting Sassy762:

Sorry....I don't believe this at all AND IF the doctor did tell you this, then  you need to find a new one...ASAP

Quoting Anonymous:

His dr said it was ok she even gave me the benadryl for him I feel bad about it so the last thing I need is to be bashed

Quoting -42-:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsBridges19
by on May. 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I have twin boys.  Never ONCE have I considered drugging them to put them to sleep.  You think you have it bad, multiply what you have by two.  Yeah...

CafeMom Tickers

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on May. 31, 2012 at 4:44 PM

WHO are YOU??? And who is Bragging??

Stop ASSuming

Quoting SLOmommy:

Right? Bragging about *raising* your grand kids isn't helping LOL

Quoting blsdbyangel07:

You're doing it wrong.......... LMFAO

Quoting Sassy762:

Wow..... I have had 7 kids  and I'm now  raising 4 grandkids

Quoting Hilary799:

Yep and I've had 5

Quoting Sassy762:

Quoting Hilary799:

Mine did

Quoting Sassy762:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting -42-:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)