Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just gave my son Benadryl so he can nap

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
He has been extremely fussy the past 3-4 days and he hasn't been sleeping good which makes him fussier so I just gave him baby Benadryl so he can take a nap and maybe sleep better tonight if he has a nap today. He won't let me put him down he screams when I do. I'm not trying to drug him to sleep I just need him on a schedule. He's so tired you can see it in his eyes. He's been up since 6am and its 3pm now and he hasn't napped he never will.
Eta: before you bash me for following dr's directions, what kind of chemicals are in the formula you pump into your babies? How about how you eat or drink caffeine when you're pregnant? I haven't had fast food or caffeine since the day I found out I was pregnant and I proudly breast feed my baby.

Update: he slept for 45 minutes, not hours on end. He woke up fine he wasn't even groggy and he's been fine since then. He just needed a little nap. Yea, it was rude of me to say anything about ff but I am doing my best to be a mother and I don't need everyone jumping down my throat. And before you say there's no such thing as infant Benadryl, check out their website. There is an infant Benadryl for 18-20 pounds and it's 3ml which is what I gave him. No, it will not be a daily thing. It was a one time thing for HIM NOT ME.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 31, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Replies (691-700):
2lilpunkins07
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:09 PM
They don't have "baby Benadryl" infants aren't supposed to have children's benadryl until at least 3 unless you talk to your dr! We had to with our son bc he had ADHD from birth!
noonimama
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I think it is funny that so many mamas are posting how horrible it is that you are "drugging" your baby but in the same breath will state that they give their babies Tylenol, Advil, melatonin.  Wich I am pretty sure in pill form is not natural. All of those are "drugs".   Now as the mom of an almost 16yr old, 3 yr old, a 2 yr old and a 4 1/2 month old I am going to give you my 2 cents. Do what you feel is best for your baby, if you have a doubt at all rethink before you do. We can all only do our best and hope for the best outcome.  A baby wrap or carrier (Boba, or ergo etc) will do the trick. Babies snuggle up and go to sleep, and if they don't they still get to be close and you can nurse in them. Mama can get stuff done. I love my boba, makes chasing my little ones just a bit easier.

noonimama
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:26 PM

And one more little thought to all. Negative statements and comments will almost always only get you negative attention.  We are all hopefully trying to do what is best for ourselves and our families. I think we should try our darndest to lift each other up instead of trying to beat each other down. Why can't we all just get along? :-)

Montylyn
by Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Well, don't say they don't because it's always been that way..they do give out samples not a full prescription but samples they do and if your Dr. doesn't or your sister in laws that's that Dr's choice not to but don't say they don't because if that Dr. decisicsion not to then it's that Dr's right but sweetie, all drug companies go out and give out samples to the patient they want to give to......Common sense what do you think gets those Rep's into thru the Dr's door...YES THE SAMPLES!!  DID YOU NOT READ THAT SHE SAID HE WAS TEETHING..Now you try going with out taking anything when you have a toothache see you can sleep or relax no you would be going to a dentist office and getting yourself something to relieve that pain..so what do you think that baby feels and I too have worked at Dr's office pedi and adults and I KNOW WORK AT A HOSPITAL & they do give out samples (NOT AT A HOSPITAL JUST DR'S OFFICE...

OH, BTW, DIDN'T MEAN TO CLICK ON LIKE..MATTER OF FACT I WISH I COULD TAKE IT OFF..I DON'T AGREE WITH YOUR OPINION..

Quoting mariannes0321:

I have worked in a surgery center, doctors office and now a hospital. no doctor that i know gives out medicine in the office and my sister in law works in a pediatricians office. you said you just want him to get a little nap but you should let him do it on his own. when he is tired enough he will sleep. my son would fight his sleep too. you have to figure out what works for your kid.

mommytozach11
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I did it too.. My son who is 16 1/2 months now woke up at 2 am one morning and would not go back to sleep until 7 am which was about 30 mins after I gave it to him.. He gets some every so often when he wont sleep and I've tried everything else.. His doctor told me I could, but I couldn't give it to him every night, which I dont..

a5hl3yC
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Some formulas are still terrible regardless. My daughter had a different brand for a week and was in so much pain from it that it would have been crazy to keep her on it. If there was nothing wrong with the formula why was it recalled then?

I haven't even looked through any replies or followed this story at all because it's not important. She's been bashed up and down enough I'm sure she will just let the baby continue to cry it out. Or hopefully follow some of the suggestions provided. My daughter needed it because her allergies were terrible she could barely breath and had trouble at night. I did nose drops and all sorts of other things to help. I would never risk her life and I would hope no one else would. But there are exceptions with everything. Kids under 18 shouldn't take depression medicine but in rare cases they do.

Also for all we know she heard her doctor wrong or got the medicine mixed up maybe it really was motrin she was given. I've called things by the wrong name tons of time.

I just don't want to fight about someone elses life. Obviously you care a lot about your kid(s) which is awesome. I'm trying to learn more alternative ways myself to keep more natural means in our home.

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

First, the bacteria was never linked to the formula, thanks though for the attempt...Second, get a new Ped, infants should never have benadryl regardless of dosage. Third...when did OP say the baby had allergies?? She said the baby was fussy and wouldn't sleep...so she gave the benadryal TO PUT HER TO SLEEP....if the baby is fussy, there is a problem, my guess at that age would be teething and Motrin would have helped that...I am sure the OP appreciates the effort to stand behind her, but next time, try harder to understand the situation first!

Quoting a5hl3yC:

I don't see a problem with it... some formulas are bad for babies and have killed babies because of the recalls with bacteria. It's something a child would be receiving everyday some woman put terrible things into their systems while they breastfeed so the point was to say she does care and try to keep him a healthy child.

My doctor suggested this with my daughter being the same age and she just recommended a much smaller dose. What will motrin do for allergies? Nothing. I did try that first. Not every doctor will give the same advice.

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

First of all, when she makes idiotic statements like "before you bash, what is in that formula" etc she opens herself up for a lack of compassion...Second, no doctor in their right mind should suggest benadryl for a fussy baby, I do not for one second believe that it happened!! Motrin? Maybe, but not benadryl!! I have been a first time mom, and I know how hard it is, but I did not drug my children to nap when they were fussy!!

Quoting a5hl3yC:

That's way too harsh, since she stated she asked the doctor what to do first and this is what he or she suggested. Have you never been a first time mom and trusted what a doctor said? Why not suggest something rather than bash?

Quoting Livinwith3boys:

You should be ashamed of yourself for drugging your child just to get a few hours of nap....He is obviously fussy for a reason, but instead of figuring that out and dealing with it, you'd rather just drug him, risk his life, to put him to sleep...what a pathetic excuse for a mother!

LaffItUpFzbl
by Bronze Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I gotta say, my twins' doctor just prescribed Zyrtec for them because they have terrible allergies. At first I was freaked out because they are only 11 months old and I thought it was nuts to give drugs to a kid that young. Then I got a little, tiny bit excited because I thought they might actually sleep decently. Only one problem: Every kid reacts differently to those meds and my twins just so happen to get all freaky wound up for about 20 minutes after they take it. Eventually they do drop off to sleep, but for that 20 minutes, they are out of control. Then, it only works for about 4 hours (which is longer than they normally sleep) and I think that is mainly because they aren't all congested and not because the meds make them tired. Which is what it's supposed to do. So be careful what you give to your kids. Not because it might harm them (well, that too) but because it may affect them adversely and then you'll be screwed. 

april545
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 1:19 AM
My dd has seasonal allergies and benadryl wires her up so be careful he may have adverse reaction
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jlocsgirl
by on Jun. 4, 2012 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this

You DID drug your child. That is absolutely disgusting. And don't try to justify this because you don't give him formula and you don't eat fast food. What you did is wrong. You drugged your child for YOUR benefit, not his. As you said, you "need him on a schedule". Why would you even tell people you did this?? I feel sorry for that poor child. Seems his mother will always put herself first...

AviannasMama
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this
If your pedi told you to give it, then why would you be posting it on here? Did you Think posting that on here would get positive responses?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)