Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I just gave my son Benadryl so he can nap

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
He has been extremely fussy the past 3-4 days and he hasn't been sleeping good which makes him fussier so I just gave him baby Benadryl so he can take a nap and maybe sleep better tonight if he has a nap today. He won't let me put him down he screams when I do. I'm not trying to drug him to sleep I just need him on a schedule. He's so tired you can see it in his eyes. He's been up since 6am and its 3pm now and he hasn't napped he never will.
Eta: before you bash me for following dr's directions, what kind of chemicals are in the formula you pump into your babies? How about how you eat or drink caffeine when you're pregnant? I haven't had fast food or caffeine since the day I found out I was pregnant and I proudly breast feed my baby.

Update: he slept for 45 minutes, not hours on end. He woke up fine he wasn't even groggy and he's been fine since then. He just needed a little nap. Yea, it was rude of me to say anything about ff but I am doing my best to be a mother and I don't need everyone jumping down my throat. And before you say there's no such thing as infant Benadryl, check out their website. There is an infant Benadryl for 18-20 pounds and it's 3ml which is what I gave him. No, it will not be a daily thing. It was a one time thing for HIM NOT ME.
Posted by Anonymous on May. 31, 2012 at 4:02 PM
Replies (11-20):
sPiCyNiNjAkItTy
by on May. 31, 2012 at 4:08 PM
13 moms liked this
That just strikes me as lazy.....parenting is not easy and I don't think medicating\drugging your baby is the answer. Just my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crazymom21
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 4:09 PM
I've done that but they all had horrible colds. The sleeping part was just bonus. Though the kids were all over a yr old.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2012 at 4:09 PM
His dr said it was ok she even gave me the benadryl for him I feel bad about it so the last thing I need is to be bashed

Quoting -42-:

"I'm not trying to drug him to sleep....."

I believe that's what you just did.

Hilary799
by Gold Member on May. 31, 2012 at 4:09 PM
3 moms liked this
Sometimes you just have too. Is he teething? Maybe some tylenol?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 31, 2012 at 4:10 PM
3 moms liked this

People accidentally kill their kids this way. smh

WhitleyLyles
by on May. 31, 2012 at 4:10 PM
4 moms liked this

how is what you did NOT drugging him to sleep?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on May. 31, 2012 at 4:10 PM
I'm not being lazy he hasnt been sleeping at all he goes to bed at 9 and wakes up at midnight and stays up until 5 and gets up at 6 for the day he needs his sleep

Quoting sPiCyNiNjAkItTy:

That just strikes me as lazy.....parenting is not easy and I don't think medicating\drugging your baby is the answer. Just my opinion.

lovemystinky
by on May. 31, 2012 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

No it's for babies his dr gave it to me.

Quoting lovemystinky:

Baby? You mean Children's Benadryl?

Try tequila next time.

heyma4
by on May. 31, 2012 at 4:11 PM
6 moms liked this

Sorry, I don't agree with that, and I am not really all that sorry either. Sure, I know a lot of parents go that route, but I just don't agree. What I really think is that YOU need the rest, yes he is cranky and probably doesn't feel well, but if he was that tired, he would fall asleep. Also, him taking a nap is not going to help him sleep better at night.

Oh well, just my opinion.

-42-
by Platinum Member on May. 31, 2012 at 4:11 PM
13 moms liked this

I'd find a new doctor if she seriously told you to give it to him so he would sleep.

He could be teething. Try giving him a nice warm lavender bath,and rub him down with lavender baby lotion. It would probably calm him, at the very least.

Quoting Anonymous:

His dr said it was ok she even gave me the benadryl for him I feel bad about it so the last thing I need is to be bashed

Quoting -42-:

"I'm not trying to drug him to sleep....."

I believe that's what you just did.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN