Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you had to apply for foodstamps..

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When did you realize you needed the assistance. We have about $200-$100 to spend on food monthly after bills. We are a family of four.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 1, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Replies (41-48):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 1, 2012 at 1:35 AM
Sometimes less. He has to use the extra left over money for gas for work.

Quoting ShaniahsMama:

100-200 to spend? I can get a whole bunch of food for a month and we are a family of four.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 13 on Jun. 1, 2012 at 1:37 AM
I applied when I lost my job and had to live with my grandpa about 5 months after I had my oldest. I didn't want my grandpa to worry about how to feed us. Dh had a job working 6-7 days a weeks but his cs took most of his pay check.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Jun. 1, 2012 at 1:40 AM
My dh just goes and draws blood so no need for hotel or anything.. but yeah that is what we thought we even asked them about it and they said they just go by your work stubs.. but the gas is on same check but seperate on the paper... it makes me mad.. like I'm glad were off fs.. but we were not ready for them to be taken away yet.. were going to struggle and I'm not ready for that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes its like per diem right? My husband had a job that paid for his gas and hotel and other expenses. It is not suppose to be included when you apply.

Quoting Anonymous:

His work he is driving all day everyday.. somedays going over 200 miles a day. They pay for his gas.. its not suppose to be for his actual check..if that makes sense? He gets like 700 for gas a pay check.. but he ends up spending 800 on gas..give or take. But they are not suppose to count that

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you mean your dh's gas payments?

Quoting Anonymous:

We just had fs but got it taken away because of dh "making too much" good luck on getting it! Because we will roughly only be able to spend 200-300 a month..if even...were a family of 4 too... they took my dh gas payments and they were not suppose to so yeah...

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I would apply, but I would also do things, actively do things, to change my circumstance.  I wouldn't expand my family, I would avoid that at all costs.  Dh and I would look for jobs everyday, look for training opportunities, everyday.  I would talk to anyone and everyone I knew, met, etc to find opportunities to increase my income!  everyday, every time, every opportunity!  I would apply for job after job, until I found one!  I wouldn't give up until I was successful!  good luck!

epoh
by The Enzyme Helicase on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:19 AM
When I had $0 leftover after paying for daycare, rent, and gas and insurance for my car.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
2KoolMama
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:34 AM

You say you have $100-$200 after bills.  What are your bills?  What can you get rid of?  Do you have cable?  Cell phones?  Get rid of them.  Food is a necessity.  So get rid of all luxuries first.   

LoganAndKennedy
by Silver Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Quoting mmtosam06:

Go apply

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 1, 2012 at 10:06 AM
When I applied for children's Medicaid a while back, I met with a caseworker and she told me not to show the per diem sheet. That should not be included with the paycheck stub. After that I would not send it in and they would approve me with no issues. Dh had that on another separate sheet though. Then his check changed and I would write a note on the stub that it was per diem. Some caseworkers don't even know what the hell that means. Some have been confused and don't understand that.

Quoting Anonymous:

My dh just goes and draws blood so no need for hotel or anything.. but yeah that is what we thought we even asked them about it and they said they just go by your work stubs.. but the gas is on same check but seperate on the paper... it makes me mad.. like I'm glad were off fs.. but we were not ready for them to be taken away yet.. were going to struggle and I'm not ready for that.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes its like per diem right? My husband had a job that paid for his gas and hotel and other expenses. It is not suppose to be included when you apply.

Quoting Anonymous:

His work he is driving all day everyday.. somedays going over 200 miles a day. They pay for his gas.. its not suppose to be for his actual check..if that makes sense? He gets like 700 for gas a pay check.. but he ends up spending 800 on gas..give or take. But they are not suppose to count that

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you mean your dh's gas payments?

Quoting Anonymous:

We just had fs but got it taken away because of dh "making too much" good luck on getting it! Because we will roughly only be able to spend 200-300 a month..if even...were a family of 4 too... they took my dh gas payments and they were not suppose to so yeah...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN