Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is This Harassment?

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:51 AM
  • 19 Replies

We lease our furniture from a company, we pay them about $220 a month, broken off into weekly payments. I haven't been able to make it in due to my work schedule (they open at 10 and close at 6. I work from 10-7 M-F, they aren't open weekends). I called them a few weeks ago and said I'd go in on June 1 (which is today) to make the payment that I owe.
However, they have this one female who works there who literally calls EVERY DAY. In fact, she called numerous times a day. Yesterday I got home from work and she had called SIX times from 10-6. She even called a reference of mine and demanded to know why we weren't answering our phones. My friend told her I work all day amd the chick got snappy with her.
So is this considered harassment?

Britney- Mommy to Ashton (6) Chloe (4)and Bethany (1)

EBF, ERF , Co-sleeping, baby wearing, cloth diapering momma!

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:52 AM
I don't think so, that is how bill collectors normally act.
chunkymonkey4u
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:52 AM
of course I would tell her off then do a complaint against her
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Not really, you are leasing furniture. It doesn't belong to you, I can see why they are hounding you.
JADIEBUG
by Silver Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Especially those furniture rental stores like Rent-A-Center. My friend was a manager at one and they are required to call people who are late on their payments often until they get paid.

OP you better pay or they will show up at your door and take your furniture.

Quoting Anonymous:

bowribbonmama
by Ruby Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I said in OP that I was going in today. Just have to wait for it to open.

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Especially those furniture rental stores like Rent-A-Center. My friend was a manager at one and they are required to call people who are late on their payments often until they get paid.

Quoting Anonymous:

Britney- Mommy to Ashton (6) Chloe (4)and Bethany (1)

EBF, ERF , Co-sleeping, baby wearing, cloth diapering momma!

moosesmom
by Ruby Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:55 AM
I say yes. Only because...you've given them a heads up on the situation. If someone made note of it (clearly they didn't) then she shouldn't be calling you. She should have waited until after today to make a call of you didn't show. Even then six times?? Excessive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JADIEBUG
by Silver Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Telling them you are going in means NOTHING to them. They get that excuse all the time. I was just warning you that they will come and get your furniture if you are late. Now that you have been late once they will be quicker the next time you are late to get their goods back.

Quoting bowribbonmama:

I said in OP that I was going in today. Just have to wait for it to open.

Quoting JADIEBUG:

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM

The law in SC is more than 3 times in one day is harrassment.

JADIEBUG
by Silver Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM

They get that excuse all the time. Do you think credit cards, electric bills or any other bill accept the "Well I am going to pay you on the 2nd" excuse. They have a right to collect the late payment or collect the furniture.

Quoting moosesmom:

I say yes. Only because...you've given them a heads up on the situation. If someone made note of it (clearly they didn't) then she shouldn't be calling you. She should have waited until after today to make a call of you didn't show. Even then six times?? Excessive.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I would be telling them to come get their furniture. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured