Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you be offended?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 813 Replies
3 moms liked this
ds attends 1st grade at a public elementary school. Yesterday they had a field trip to a dairy farm, and I volunteered as a chaperon. As soon as the owner got on the bus and gave his speech, he tells the kids to bow their heads in prayer. WHAT?! I'm not sure if it was because I was sitting right next to him and wearing a hijab, or if this is a regular routine of his. I felt so awkward, wasn't really sure what to do. As a muslim, we pray all the time but not to jesus, and I don't think any religion should be pushed on random children. He doesn't know what their parents want for their children. The rest of the trip was how God intended certain things to happen, ok for me, but what if there were athiests on the bus?

What do you think, I'm sure most christians would be ok with something like that, but others?

Please spare me any comments that I need Jesus to save me, or need to convert to christianity, etc. I grew up baptist, my father is a pastor, it didn't work for me.

**I wasn't really offended, but I know some people could be. I was just a little shocked, not just for me, but for others who may not have the same beliefs. I just stayed quietly in my seat with ds, why make a big fuss over it so that it would ruin a fun days for the kids? I have no plans to bring it up to the school either since it wasn't a school employee and the year is almost over. Just wanted to see what others would have done or thought.
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM
46 moms liked this

I'm all for it. I think God needs to be brought back into schools. And if you do not believe, than don't participate (when praying or whatever)

April620
by Ruby Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM
18 moms liked this
I don't think it's a big deal. You could have just prayed to your god while he was praying to his. The world is too politically correct IMO
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mamie_85
by Platinum Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM
37 moms liked this
I would have taken my child off the bus and left. That's not okay in a public school, and I honestly don't want my children around it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
couponluv72
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM
26 moms liked this

that was very in the wrong. those children were on a school sponsored activity. prayer should have never been brought in to it. that is totally disrespectful and wrong

wrensong
by Pagan Mother on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, I would have been offended. We also pray, but not to Jesus.

Candi1024
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:52 AM
12 moms liked this

Quoting Anonymous:

he tells the kids to bow their heads in prayer.

I felt so awkward, wasn't really sure what to do.

You bow your head out of respect. What you think in your head is totally up to you. You could be thinking about what as ass that guy is, that's cool. But bow your head.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:53 AM
16 moms liked this

He didn't tell them who to pray to, he asked them to pray. You can still pray to yours during this prayer. I find it offensive when the house doctors at the hospital take 1-2 hours to go pray and we can't reach them but it is perfectly ok because they are muslim and its prayer time. No offense but they are working. I can't tell the patient in 211 to not have a heart attack right now because his doctor is out praying.

Candi1024
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Why is everybody saying Jesus? Did that guy say Jesus? You didn't say that in the OP.

Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:53 AM
10 moms liked this

I would have been so totally offended.  Religion has NO place in a public school.  I would have a) asked him to stop, and then b) made an official complaint to the principal, school board, and on up.

EmEssaDuaa
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:53 AM
8 moms liked this

I also wear hijab I never got offended when they did stuff like this in school especaillly cause christianity and all that is the dominant where I live but I just didn't participate I would just sit and wait until they finished or didn;t do that pledge thats was it really

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN