Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Teaching and tattoos

Posted by   + Show Post
I'm going to school for teaching in the fall.

I'd like to start working on a half sleeve over the next several years.

Would this be a problem? I can wear 1/2 or 3/4 sleeve shirts so I can cover them. As long as they're not visible it shouldn't be a problem, correct?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
epoh
by The Enzyme Helicase on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:07 AM
I'm not sure where I'll be teaching. I'm at the beginning of my education so it will be at least 4 years before I obtain employment within the school system.

Quoting RissyLee:

I think making sure it can be covered is good, because some schools may not allow visible tattoos. It really depends on the schools in your area. You could always call around and ask their policies before getting it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
blueeyedpixie
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:07 AM
I have a full sleeve and I'm a nurse. I cover it and I've never had a problem with it. I think it would depend on where you work but something like that could be easily covered... I think its becoming more accepted now...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muthrof_2
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:08 AM
2 moms liked this
What ever happened to freedom? I don't have any but if someone chooses to they should be able to show them no matter where they are, IMO
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:09 AM

It is possible it may ba against some school's dress policy. You may be able to circumvent that by covering. I personally see nothing wrong with teachers having tattoo's or piercings.

RissyLee
by Platinum Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:11 AM
I would go with a 1/2 sleeve then. Once you get a job and know the policies you could always add to it if you can. I know tattoos can be visible in the public school districts around me, but they aren't allowed in private schools.

Quoting epoh:

I'm not sure where I'll be teaching. I'm at the beginning of my education so it will be at least 4 years before I obtain employment within the school system.

Quoting RissyLee:

I think making sure it can be covered is good, because some schools may not allow visible tattoos. It really depends on the schools in your area. You could always call around and ask their policies before getting it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marie85
by Gold Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:12 AM

I remember teachers having tattoos when I was in school.

twinmommy27
by Ruby Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:14 AM
If you don't let them see them it should be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FL2AK
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:14 AM
Make sure you can cover it. You never know where life will take you. You may later to move to an area where it would be an issue. Or later in your career they could impact promotions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMrs407
by Emerald Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:15 AM

If they can't be seen it's not a problem at all.  However if they can be seen it simply depends on the district.  Here, no one cares.  A good portion of my coworkers have tattoos and show them during warm weather (I'm not sure where you live, but standing on the playground during playground duty (which teachers do at my school-some have support staff do it) is not fun in long sleeves.

Celia21
by Silver Member on Jun. 2, 2012 at 8:15 AM

unless it is offensive tattoos,

as a college student... not a teacher

i don't see why you wouldn't be allowed to express your self how you want. (obviously being appropriate), tattoos and piercings for teachers... who cares, it doesn't reflect on how intelligent you are.

That's what i think. It shouldn't be a problem.... in my eyes. I am not sure what the rules are.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN