Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Formula after the recommended hour..

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 28 Replies
Has anyone else tested the boundaries of the time limit on formula cans?

My mom said when we were babies, there was not a 1 hr limit and I've gone over the hour from time to time and never once has dd reacted badly. And I can't help but think the companies want us to waste formula so we buy more quicker..definitely wouldn't surprise me..and I can imagine that bad formula would taste gross and a baby wouldn't eat it. I know when I was EBF, I read a lot of people saying bad bm would be rejected, that the baby wouldn't eat it.

What are your thoughts/experiences?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ajohnson08099
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM

I personally wouldn't really WANT to take the risk... Just like I am not going to RISK drinking soured milk. That shit gets tossed!

CreziaMommyTo2
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:55 PM

if my DD didnt finish her bottle i put it back in the fridge.  she is healthy.  she only would drink cold formula, that if it were room temperature i had to make sure to put it on ice. lol

ElitestJen
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Its a guideline, not a law. In general, formula sitting out at room temperature for an hour has the level of bacteria to be considered spoiled.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:55 PM
Understandable but with milk, you know when its bad, the smell is gross..I'd think the same would be true for formula.

And obviously I don't mean 5 hours after or anything..I wouldn't do that. I've never gone over 2 hrs.

Quoting ajohnson08099:

I personally wouldn't really WANT to take the risk... Just like I am not going to RISK drinking soured milk. That shit gets tossed!

i.love.my.life
by Arika on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:56 PM
We don't follow the one hour limit. It's more like 2hours as long as its not over 68 degrees in our house. If its hot out, its an hour or less.

I have a friend who will let it go 3 or 4 hours before she dumps it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:56 PM
It specifies even if you put it hm the fridge, if the baby has put her mouth on it, its bad in a hr. I just don't buy it.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Its a guideline, not a law. In general, formula sitting out at room temperature for an hour has the level of bacteria to be considered spoiled.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:57 PM
I do 2 hours if he has had some already, 3-4 hours if he hasn't had a drink yet
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:57 PM
See and that's exactly what makes sense to me. And she has never acted any differently with formula post 2 hrs.

Quoting i.love.my.life:

We don't follow the one hour limit. It's more like 2hours as long as its not over 68 degrees in our house. If its hot out, its an hour or less.

I have a friend who will let it go 3 or 4 hours before she dumps it.
NoahandEliza
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:57 PM
I use it after the hour. Even though formula never smells yummy, you can tell when it's not good anymore. I try to make the amount that I know she'll eat though so I don't waste it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ElitestJen
by on Jun. 2, 2012 at 7:57 PM
Guideline. Guideline. Guideline.

I figured you missed that the first time.

Quoting Anonymous:

It specifies even if you put it hm the fridge, if the baby has put her mouth on it, its bad in a hr. I just don't buy it.

Quoting ElitestJen:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN