Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Let's Handle this like Adults.... please *UPDATE*

What are your thoughts on colorful hair on Adults...

I am a T.A at this private preschool... my employer has never stated anything about certain dress codes etc etc...

so I want to dye my hair jet-black and have blue high-lights, but most people I know...frown upon colorful hair, now I can tell them shush their mouth (my family lol ) BUT I don't want to risk losing my job... the parents there are mostly  "professional " (professors, doctors,nurses,business owners , lawyers etc etc etc)

What do you think of moms who have blue/red/green/purple etc hair-color? 

Have you ever seen an early childhood educator with bright colored hair?

UPDATE

Great input ladies ! To respond to some replies... my employer never gave any of us an actual dress code let alone a "handbook" ... right now I wear gym attire to work lol and have brownish light hair... so If I dyed my hair a funky color would me dressing way more professional even things out? 

&&& Woo hoo ! This is my first post with 75+ replies ^_^ 

by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 4:10 AM
Replies (21-30):
jaysmommy04
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 4:26 AM
1 mom liked this
What about the old ladies with the blue our violet hair?

Quoting misslady80013:

This. If it's not a natural hair color (brown, black, brunette, etc) it doesn't belong on an adult woman's head.

Quoting mcgilly25:

It's tacky, point blank. Adult women should not have colored hair like that. It's fine if you're a 12-17 year old girl, but grown women should not.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raeyliNlilysmom
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 4:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I have bright red hair 22 mom of 2.... i dont see anythng wrong with colorful hair on anyone its your hair :))

daiseymae2
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 4:27 AM

I don't have a problem with it. 

Tal0n
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 4:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm the wrong person to ask.  I've been coloring my hair funky colors for the past eight or so years.  I rarely get negative reactions to it, but then people also often think I'm a guy.  *shrug*  If it was my kid's instructor, I'd want to know if they did it themselves or got a salon to do it, what dye they used, how the two toned washing was going...the blue and black is something I've not tried YET, but mostly bc it's hard for me to do two colors myself and I'm not willing to pay what a salon might actually charge me.

Plus my hair takes bleach and dye so well that every time I've done black it ends up purple.  (I use black when a color goes wrong; twice in my experience.  Once when a pastal color didn't take...I was disappointed, but black covers all, and another time after mixing my own color for the first time.  The color was awesome, but as I suspected, it faded unevenly, so as it grew out and faded, I went black.  Both times it actually came out purple.)

And to people who say it tends to make the hair look awful, that happens when you do it wrong.  Even the ONE time I fried my hair (and really, I'd been doing it 4 yrs by then I should have known better) the stylists and teachers at the salon school I get my hair cut at were amazed at how healthy it was.  Funky colored hair shouldn't be any different than non-funky colored dyed hair.  You have to take care of it.

Aleta775
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 4:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it should matter as long as you are professional in every other way. However, teaching jobs usually require you to also LOOK professional as well as act professional. So, while I personally wouldn't care what color you hair is, it is not a good idea. You would be hard pressed for anyone to take you seriously.

mattiehatter
by Mary on Jun. 3, 2012 at 4:29 AM

That is likely from the hair being over bleached in the process.

Quoting mcgilly25:

I'd also like to add that I noticed it tends to make the hair look awful. It always looked half dead, dry and brittle. Disgusting.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jun. 3, 2012 at 4:29 AM
I say if you work for a school you need to look professional and having funky dyed hair isn't it. But what you want doesn't sound to bad if you do like a tint of blue.
Misery_Stitches
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 4:31 AM

I am an ECE teacher and seen lots with funky hair, including myself when I first started teaching (had black, green and purple hair)... but since we did have dress codes at my work, I no longer dye it funky colours, just a deep dark red or purple (not bright)... ask your boss what they think before doing it.

mattiehatter
by Mary on Jun. 3, 2012 at 4:33 AM

The black and red combo looks really good together IMO. I have seen teachers with differently colored hair (mostly art teachers and a couple lit teachers), but they went with darker blues or purples some went for the red. They wanted to make it to where the hair wasn't overly distracting. I want to do pink, but I have to clear it with my boss first.

psychobilly_mom
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 4:49 AM

Thanks for the great input ladies... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)