Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Atheists, do you feel the need to dispel the "myth" of God for believers? Edit

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:56 AM
  • 211 Replies
1 mom liked this

My husband and I have fundamentally different beliefs.  I believe in God and he tells me I'm gullible and insinuates that I am weak for believing. I'm a Deist by the way and I don't care who believes or not. I have never tried to convince my husband of the existence of God.

So just as believers for some religions feel like it is their duty to save your soul, do you as an atheist feel like it is your duty to further your beliefs?

*******I know atheists that are on both sides of this.  As I know religious people that are on both sides of it.  One guy that I use to work with was a total jerk.  He would specifically go out of his way to antagonize those that believed.  When you would sneeze he would say, "When you die nothing happens."  I would rather he said nothing at all.  When my husband sneezes I don't say "bless you" because I know he doesn't like it.  Sometimes I'll throw in," you are so good looking! (Seinfeld)"  He doesn't say anything to me when I sneeze.

by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovinmama411
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:59 AM
5 moms liked this

No, of course not. Most people around don't even know I'm Atheist. I like to observe. I have my own personal thoughts on those who believe, but I do not announce them or try to convince them otherwise. However, if I am asked about my beliefs or get the "why's", I will answer.  

danie24
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:59 AM
4 moms liked this
No.

But if they bring up their random, unscientific, unrealistic claim.. I'll try to educate them :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AngryBob
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:59 AM
Everyone wants to convert everyone else. Christians call it missionary work. Don't know what athiests call it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turtle68
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Im an athiest and hubby is a Catholic (not practicing and willing to hear another side, in other words his faith is waning)

I dont talk down to him if he believes in a god....it is his belief.  We are respectful of one anothers belief systems.  IMO its because it really doesnt change the person he is or I am.

Unless someone is pushing their religion on me will I talk about there being no god.

turtle68
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 8:06 AM

I had a couple of Jehovah Witness's at my door recently.  Their argument was about trees and how you have to see the bigger picture of who could of created it and why blah be blah...I asked them why it couldnt just be, why did it NEED a bigger picture and why couldnt you just enjoy its beauty and what it does for us just by being.  They really didnt like my questions and as usual had no answers...and these people are trained to cover all sceptics LOL

IhartU
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 8:17 AM
3 moms liked this

I used to want to convert the world to my Atheist way of thinking but that has evolved into just wanting people to actually educate themselves on science, ancient history/religion, mythology and archeology before deciding what they believe concerning religion. I mean you can't make an intelligent decision without all the evidence out there and it just bothers me when people simply believe what they're told in their religious institutions and never go any further.

alwayskk
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 8:25 AM
2 moms liked this

No, I do not. I find the debates very interesting and stimulating but I have no vested interest in "disspelling the myth of God."

I will say that among atheists, there is a big divide. I'm a member of a few different secular organizations and how we should approach religion is a very divisive issue among the atheist crowd.

In truth, I understand where a lot of them are coming from. Religion is not this benign, inactive thing. It is very much active, very much in control, and very much harming people all over the world. Religion has had it's turn, in a way, and many atheists feel as though it is our duty scrutinize and put to test everything.

I understand where they are coming from and I can't say they are wrong but I just don't feel that way.

Rileyscute
by on Jun. 3, 2012 at 8:27 AM
2 moms liked this

No, I'm even polite and will listen to a massive amount of rhetoric on insanity on occasion. My way of thinking is that if they don't shove it on me....

xomrs.chase
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 8:29 AM
1 mom liked this
To me, its to each their own. I'm not sure what I believe, but I respect those who are religious so long as they don't force it on me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dandylynes
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2012 at 8:30 AM
1 mom liked this

No, I don't feel the need to dispel the Myth of God.  I just don't really care that much.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)