Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

if you don't vax, what do you do if your kid steps on a nail?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Since you won't get him/her a tetanus shot?
Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM
Replies (61-63):
BethanyJ
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 11:59 AM

LOL, all the links I provided gave information on the disease, the vaccine, and TIG.  I didn't say what I personally would do because my kids are vaccinated against tetanus, but I'd probably give the TIG after a wound just to be safe b/c vaccines are not 100%.  I know of someone on a forum I'm a member of whose husband just came down with tetanus after being vaccinated multiple times for it.  I do, however, selectively vaccinate because of legitimate medical reasons.  For myself, we don't even know what the effects of a vaccine would be because I have an autoimmune disease that might be aggravated by it as vaccines stimulate the immune system --- which ironically is the last thing you want to happen if you have the disease I have.  

Quoting LyTe684:

Not really. You define tetanus. You didn't say what you'd do. Lol

Quoting BethanyJ:

Yes, I just answered it -- go back and re-read, anon. 

mommy2annaliese
by on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Watch my kid. Idk where you live, but there are no rusty nails in my yard, and if shes out there, I'm close behind her, and she has shoes on..

BethanyJ
by Silver Member on Jun. 10, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I also want to add that even though people think of rusty nail when they think of tetanus -- in reality it's hard to say which wounds will get tetanus and which won't.  Most cuts are low risk, especially those that bleed a lot, but really any wound can be vulnerable, dependent upon the environment it was received in.  Those who work around animal manure or garden (because of fertilizer use) may be more apt to get tetanus because of the excrement.  It's far from just a "rusty nail" disease.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN